• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hyatt..... I like using UR to book rooms, the problem that I keep bumping into is the lack of award rooms overall. There are soooo many properties that just say 'no award space' basically all the time. Kind of frustrating- what do you all think?
I had that happen once when trying to book London for this summer and I was checking day by day as the calendar should have been opening up. I called the my Hyatt Concierge line and asked them to reach out to the hotel. They were able to book a couple of suites for us. This was one area where the Globalist concierge perk came in handy. But even if one isn’t Globalist, perhaps calling in and having a representative reach out to the hotel may help.

Looks like you are getting your cash back.

About referral:

I referred DD from my Disney Premier account not too long ago, late 2023.

Guess where the points ended up? In my regular Disney card account, which is listed first in my long list of Chase cards.
The premier was the one I was going to close after transferring the points.

Now it still has a random amount left stranded because you need $10 to redeem, which is why I used it to refer. I'd have to spend too much to get it up to $10. It's minor but still irritating.

Edit: it just occurred to me to drop it on reddit to maybe get another referral and try again.
Your right! I SM'ed them and they are transferring the cash to my other CIC. Which is fine. It's my fault for not being more diligent and trying to do too many things at once.
So, decided that I would like to go to Disneyland sometime in May, June or July with DD22, She is a nurse and works 12 hour days and every 3rd weekend. So, if we go the week after she works a weekend then we can go a Wednesday - Sunday and she does not have to take any time off of work.

I have not been to Disneyland in 40 years (it was 1 day for a Choir Trip in High School). Been trying to read up on the Disneyland Board and ordered a Birnbaum Book for 2024.

We have been to Disneyworld lots of times and normally stay at Boardwalk DVC (a friend of DH's has points we rent from him). So, it is engraved in me at Disneyworld to stay on site. But seems it is not that important at Disneyland?? Any input on good places to stay. I want within walking distance - preferably across the street. I have some Marriott Points and will have 3 FN Certificates (2 at 35k and 1 at 50K) So, with adding points - (basically 2 at 50k and 1 at 65k). I also have some IHG points and have a ton of UR's that I can transfer to Hyatt or wherever. So, do we stay offsite or try and do DVC there - although I feel like that might be hard to get with only a few places to stay on points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
I took my youngest DD to DL last May and we stayed at the Westin in Anaheim. It's about a 15 minute walk to the park. Felt totally safe walking to and from the park from there, there was always other people doing the same thing. You will walk thru Downtown Disney his way. California Adventure is literally right across the street. There may be other options for point stays but I like Westins and we had the points.

I have a couple of slightly off-topic questions (but it is related to your ability to get credit cards LOL.) I've been hearing a lot of news lately about major data breaches. Do y'all think it's a good idea to "freeze your credit"? If so, how do you go about doing that? What are the downsides, if any?

Also, I always hear ads saying how easy it is for someone to steal your home title and they are selling a service to protect you. Does anyone know if that's a real danger or is that a scam?

Freezing and unfreezing your credit is easy and doesn't cost anything. You just have to have an account on each of the 3 credit bureaus and then after you place the initial freeze you manage it on each site.

I froze all mine when someone tried to open an Amazon card with chase. Thankfully they blocked it and sent me a letter asking if it was me.

It's only a pain when you forget yo unfreeze and have to call in after getting denied so they can run it again. I also tend to unfreeze all 3 when I apply because they will change which they pull from sometimes. When I've only opened the one they used before they'd switched so I had to unfreeze the correct one and call in.

I don't unfreeze anything when I apply for an Amex since they normally soft pull once you've had 1 card long enough. If they suddenly decided to hp I would just call in.

As for the title theft. I have no idea how that all works and if it's easier to do in some states or not, the theft that is. It's for sure a concern but so is a lot of other stuff that is rare so I don't know that I'd want to pay something for protection without a whole lot of research on how often it happens and what the service actually does and pays for. Also does it make a difference if the house is paid off or not.

I was more worried about squatters when my rental was empty, thankfully I sold it a few years ago and no longer have that worry.

I have a couple of slightly off-topic questions (but it is related to your ability to get credit cards LOL.) I've been hearing a lot of news lately about major data breaches. Do y'all think it's a good idea to "freeze your credit"? If so, how do you go about doing that? What are the downsides, if any?

Also, I always hear ads saying how easy it is for someone to steal your home title and they are selling a service to protect you. Does anyone know if that's a real danger or is that a scam?
Absolutely, take the time to freeze your credit with all three credit bureaus. You can request a security freeze with each credit bureau online. Do not "lock" it as the credit bureaus will encourage you to do. Locks are not governed by federal laws like freezes are.

When you want to unfreeze your credit, you will need to go online to that credit bureau and request it. You can set the number of days you want. When applying for a credit card, I usually just do one day. Each time I have requested to unfreeze, it was instant, but sometimes it can take a few hours.

Oof. $1200 each for me and p2, on the 1099s from Chase.
Looking at this again, wow, we hit the Ink train really hard LOL

I work in mortgage, and I have never heard of title theft. We have never been told anything about it, or how to prevent it, and believe me, we get emails and training on all kinds of fraud.

Hyatt..... I like using UR to book rooms, the problem that I keep bumping into is the lack of award rooms overall. There are soooo many properties that just say 'no award space' basically all the time. Kind of frustrating- what do you all think?
im able to get tons of availability I'm guessing a close to dates? what properties are you looking at? some 5* places have night restrictions that you have to call to get edited back.

So, decided that I would like to go to Disneyland sometime in May, June or July with DD22, She is a nurse and works 12 hour days and every 3rd weekend. So, if we go the week after she works a weekend then we can go a Wednesday - Sunday and she does not have to take any time off of work.

I have not been to Disneyland in 40 years (it was 1 day for a Choir Trip in High School). Been trying to read up on the Disneyland Board and ordered a Birnbaum Book for 2024.

We have been to Disneyworld lots of times and normally stay at Boardwalk DVC (a friend of DH's has points we rent from him). So, it is engraved in me at Disneyworld to stay on site. But seems it is not that important at Disneyland?? Any input on good places to stay. I want within walking distance - preferably across the street. I have some Marriott Points and will have 3 FN Certificates (2 at 35k and 1 at 50K) So, with adding points - (basically 2 at 50k and 1 at 65k). I also have some IHG points and have a ton of UR's that I can transfer to Hyatt or wherever. So, do we stay offsite or try and do DVC there - although I feel like that might be hard to get with only a few places to stay on points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

We've stayed at the Fairfield Anaheim using FNC before. It's across the street and about a 10 min walk to the Esplanade. Many nights are just over 50k, but you can find ones that are at or under.

What city are you looking at?

Hopefully someone here can answer. I want to earn and use southwest companion pass for a 3 week trip next may 2024 california/hawaii from PHL. I don't want to miss out on securing flights when the calendar opens up if I haven't earned the companion pass yet. Can I book the flights when they come out and somehow add my companion later when i earn it? Please help.

Hopefully someone here can answer. I want to earn and use southwest companion pass for a 3 week trip next may 2024 california/hawaii from PHL. I don't want to miss out on securing flights when the calendar opens up if I haven't earned the companion pass yet. Can I book the flights when they come out and somehow add my companion later when i earn it? Please help.

Yes, you always book your flight first and then add your companion. You can add them as long as any seat is available.

Freezing credit. I know some on here do that. I haven't done it. Not to say you shouldn't.

Home title:
I think it's the same crap that companies use to try to sell you on hiring them to manage your IRS problems (just one example.)

In other words, they are looking for customers, and (edit) using scare tactics.

As far as a home title, that's why you buy title insurance when you close on a home.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic and should be monitoring more. But, so long as I keep getting a huge property tax bill each year, I'm probably ok.

Last edited:
Having a difficult time with hotel points. DW and I both have Hilton and Marriott cards that generate FNCs each year but don’t put much spend on the cards. I feel like we should go all in on one and get a couple of new cards to build point balance up. But restrictions on Marriott cards are problematic and Hilton’s point redemption value is terrible. Have heard chatter about Hyatt but their sign-on bonus isn’t anything to write home about.

Interested to hear what hotel point strategy works best for you.
I have 4 Marriott credit cards that I keep just for the 'free' nights. I very rarely use any of them except when there is a decent offer. I don't consider the nights free since I pay an annual fee on these cards, but I do get some offset from the offers, which results in a fairly decent room for maybe 1/3 of the price, factoring in annual fee. Or like next week, I'll be using 3 free 35k free nights with a few extra points to stay at a hotel that's over $400 each night for my dates. Win.

I'm not going to cancel because getting a new card and sign up bonus is more 'work' then I want to do. I'd rather use my spend for other, more lucrative cards.

Hilton Surpass was going to be a one time thing for me, until they came out with the quarterly $50 credit. While they honor that I'll do some Hilton but I won't be chasing points or free nights. Again better uses for my spend.

I have a Hyatt personal. Won't be doing a signup bonus again for that. May even ditch it if I can't use the Free night. I can always stay at Hyatt by transferring in UR points, which are easier to earn than Hyatt points.

Not chasing status as I'm not doing aspirational travel. If I was, I'd use a whole different strategy and definitely read the posts from some of the experts on here. I read them anyway to keep up and admire what they manage.

Freezing credit. I know some on here do that. I haven't done it. Not to say you shouldn't.

Home title:
I think it's the same crap that companies use to try to sell you on hiring them to manage your IRS problems (just one example.)

In other words, they are looking for customers.

As far as a home title, that's why you buy title insurance when you close on a home.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic and should be monitoring more. But, so long as I keep getting a huge property tax bill each year, I'm probably ok.
I live in Texas and purchased a home early in '22. Title insurance was included during my closing through the title company. It may have been an option (I can't remember if it was mandatory or an option unfortunately), but I have it and don't recall it being expensive or anything that I balked at cost-wise. And I am one of THOSE people who read everything and ask all of the questions. Maybe it's a false peace of mind, but I've got it.

So, decided that I would like to go to Disneyland sometime in May, June or July with DD22...

It's really late to be booking with DVC points for May, June or July of this year. Availability changes all the time, but I just glanced at studio, one-bedroom and two-bedrooms at the Villas at Disneyland Hotel and the Villas at Disney's Grand Californian hotel. There's almost nothing left to book on points. For all of those room options, there was just one three-night stay available, and nothing longer. (And that might be gone by the time I click on "post reply.") To make a reservation with points would probably require constantly checking the DVC member website to see if someone cancels, and it's possible that you would never get a reservation at all.

You might want to check in the Disneyland forum here to see if people have been posting about staying off-site. I usually hear that the off-site hotels across the street are actually closer to the parks then the Disney-owned hotels, but I don't have one to suggest.

It's really late to be booking with DVC points for May, June or July of this year. Availability changes all the time, but I just glanced at studio, one-bedroom and two-bedrooms at the Villas at Disneyland Hotel and the Villas at Disney's Grand Californian hotel. There's almost nothing left to book on points. For all of those room options, there was just one three-night stay available, and nothing longer. (And that might be gone by the time I click on "post reply.") To make a reservation with points would probably require constantly checking the DVC member website to see if someone cancels, and it's possible that you would never get a reservation at all.

You might want to check in the Disneyland forum here to see if people have been posting about staying off-site. I usually hear that the off-site hotels across the street are actually closer to the parks then the Disney-owned hotels, but I don't have one to suggest.

@LynnTH If you want a comparison to the DVC hotels - the Grand Californian is attached to California Adventure. Awesome if you can get it. There's an entrance into the park near Grizzly Peak. We got soaked and then ran back to change. :)

Disneyland Hotel is about the same walking time as the Fairfield Anaheim, but the walk is within the Disney bubble.

I made my ANA first class flight from Tokyo to Chicago on Monday. Gotta love it when you push back from the gate 10 minutes early. The ANA 777 first class cabin had 8 seats, but only 2 were occupied, including mine. With 2 bathrooms for first, each of us had our bathroom lol. While I'd love to rave about the experience, I have come to the conclusion that I am a terrible long haul flyer (mostly because I don't sleep well / at all). and just can't get very excited about it. Time flew by (haha) and I can't believe I was on the plane for 11h45m, it went by so quickly. The FAs were amazing and so conscientious, I'd say they give Singapore Airlines FAs a run for the best service in the air.

Funny thing with this flight, sometime shortly after takeoff I drifted off into a nice sleep, only to be woken by the FA asking if I'd like to eat before I went to sleep! I would've enjoyed more of the sleep that I was having, but she meant well so I won't fault her. I went with the Japanese dinner menu because I read that it is amazing. I wasn't blown away by all the little parts before the main course, but the beef main course was seriously delicious. Probably one of the best airplane meals I've ever had. I didn't drink any alcohol, which they kept offering me, I guess a lot of their passengers drink a lot of champagne and Japanese whiskey. WiFi was free for first class, but I didn't login in until 2.5 hours before landing to watch Netflix. I also watched an Amazon original show onboard, called Sitting in Bars with Cake; it was good, wish I had known at the outset that it was based on a true story. The issue I have with onboard entertainment is that I have seen most of the movies -- time for the airlines to refresh their movies!

The pajamas were heavy and I debated leaving them onboard. My favorite thing about the pjs is the zip-up cardigan that is part of the set. I'm wearing it now, but I think dd will take it when she comes home for reading week -- it has grandpa vibes and she seems to love that style. The amenity kit is AMAZING -- one of my favorites. It is a pink / grey hard-sided Globetrotter kit that has decent-sized had Shiseido Ginza products. I read that ANA is changing to soft-sided kits in early 2024, so I was super happy that I got one of the hard-sided ones. There was also a men's facial cream that I will give to ds (it wasn't in the amenity kit, it was in a box beside it). The FAs also come around with a basket full of 'goodies', like face & body wash clothes, leg sticky-things (which seem weird, but I tried them a few hours before we landed and they were nice!), toothbrush and toothpaste and earplugs.

The bed was very comfortable, by all accounts I should have had a nice snooze, but I struggle with sleeping well on planes. The FAs were nice and set up my bed in the seat beside mine so that I didn't have to move any of my items (love that).

ANA offered a dine anytime menu, but after the dinner I wasn't hungry. At all. For breakfast I went all out and had a bowl of cereal with yogurt and fresh fruit and a matcha latte. While I would have loved to have tried some of the delicious-sounding dishes on the menu, I need Western breakfast food for breakfast.

My laptop is being finicky, will try to post a few pics later.

Ramen from the ANA Suite lounge pre-boarding:
IMG_8189.jpeg
IMG_8191.jpeg

IMG_8192.jpeg
IMG_8193.jpeg
IMG_8196.jpeg
IMG_8197.jpeg
IMG_8199.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, you always book your flight first and then add your companion. You can add them as long as any seat is available.
Should I purchase their ticket first as well to ensure that there will be a seat? Then cancel their seat and add them as a companion later once I get the pass and ensure another seat is available? If that makes sense?

Having a difficult time with hotel points. DW and I both have Hilton and Marriott cards that generate FNCs each year but don’t put much spend on the cards. I feel like we should go all in on one and get a couple of new cards to build point balance up. But restrictions on Marriott cards are problematic and Hilton’s point redemption value is terrible. Have heard chatter about Hyatt but their sign-on bonus isn’t anything to write home about.

Interested to hear what hotel point strategy works best for you.
I tend to collect Amex and Chase points and transfer them to Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott as needed. I don't want to be stuck with points for one chain when I really want to stay at another for an upcoming trip. It's easier to build up the balance when you get a new card with a good SUB. Hyatt is fantastic, but you're right about the SUB on their cards.
I try to book them when they are released. How far out are you checking? When I need to book late in the game I start looking for one night at a time - I was able to piece together a week in Kauai that way (4 different reservations, but it all worked out). Lately I've also noticed that some properties want a longer stay (I've seen 4 nights work where 3 says there is nothing available, along with 7-9 needed at a certain property). It's annoying. Hilton is the same for me.

Should I purchase their ticket first as well to ensure that there will be a seat? Then cancel their seat and add them as a companion later once I get the pass and ensure another seat is available? If that makes sense?

I've done that before, though it didn't turn out to be necessary. Easy to do with points. With cash, you might want to book refundable unless you don't mind a travel credit.

I’m looking at some of the US bank business cards just to give Chase a break. How hard are they to get approved for? My credit score is not a concern to me because it’s definitely high enough, but do they consider other things like inquiries and new accounts that could be a problem? I have an inquiry typically every three months going back over two years. I think I’m 3/24.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter