I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hi All,
I'm strongly considering getting a Disney Premier Visa. I don't have any questions/concerns about qualifying for the card but am interested in what this group feels about the value of the card and whether it's worthwhile or if I should look elsewhere.

I realize that's a different answer for each individual, so here's a little background:

I'm currently 1/24 - I use the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for my daily purchases, and it's the only CC I have, so currently, I'm only getting 1% on Disney-related purchases. (I pay in full every month, so no concerns on interest rates.)

My family of 5 takes Disney vacation 1-2x/year (always flying Southwest), and we always stay on property. We're not regulars at any of the current restaurants where the 10% off dining is offered, but would likely use that as a tiebreaker when finalizing dining reservations to save on a meal or two per trip.

Among the extra 1% Disney-based purchase rewards vs. the no annual fee version, the 10% off $50 in the Parks stores, and 10% off shopDisney, I'm confident that the rewards/savings would easily outvalue the annual fee.

Plus, there's a $300 statement credit after spending $1,000 in the first three months right now on the Disney Premier Visa, so that would essentially take $300 off what we owe for our summer trip this year.

I've read articles from places like NerdWallet who don't recommend the card because it's tied into the Disney ecosystem and find the rewards card and process cumbersome, so curious how others here on a Disney fan board feel about the card.

Is it a good use specifically for Disney-related points and savings, or is there's an alternative general CC with better rewards propositions that you prefer for paying for your Disney trips?
There’s nothing wrong with the Disney Visa. I’m sure many people here have it, and may have gotten it early on in their credit card journey. However, there are MANY other cards, including just straight cash back cards that will give you much better value. If you don’t want to take a deep dive into credit cards you could simply start with the Sapphire Preferred, which most people do. The current sign up bonus is 60k UR/4K spend in 3 months. You could then take the 64k URs you’ll have and do a straight $640 statement credit. You could use that to offset your Disney purchases. And that’s the minimum value of those points, depending how deeply you want to get into the points/miles game. Honestly I don’t think many here would recommend the Disney Visa. If you want to keep it simple you can look for a nice cash back earning card that has better than 1% earning rates. The Citi Double Cash/Custom Cash cards come to mind, but there are many good ones out there.

Hi All,
I'm strongly considering getting a Disney Premier Visa. I don't have any questions/concerns about qualifying for the card but am interested in what this group feels about the value of the card and whether it's worthwhile or if I should look elsewhere.

I realize that's a different answer for each individual, so here's a little background:

I'm currently 1/24 - I use the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for my daily purchases, and it's the only CC I have, so currently, I'm only getting 1% on Disney-related purchases. (I pay in full every month, so no concerns on interest rates.)

My family of 5 takes Disney vacation 1-2x/year (always flying Southwest), and we always stay on property. We're not regulars at any of the current restaurants where the 10% off dining is offered, but would likely use that as a tiebreaker when finalizing dining reservations to save on a meal or two per trip.

Among the extra 1% Disney-based purchase rewards vs. the no annual fee version, the 10% off $50 in the Parks stores, and 10% off shopDisney, I'm confident that the rewards/savings would easily outvalue the annual fee.

Plus, there's a $300 statement credit after spending $1,000 in the first three months right now on the Disney Premier Visa, so that would essentially take $300 off what we owe for our summer trip this year.

I've read articles from places like NerdWallet who don't recommend the card because it's tied into the Disney ecosystem and find the rewards card and process cumbersome, so curious how others here on a Disney fan board feel about the card.

Is it a good use specifically for Disney-related points and savings, or is there's an alternative general CC with better rewards propositions that you prefer for paying for your Disney trips?
DH has the free version of this card (and upgraded to the premier when they offered to upgrade it and we could make money on the upgrade) but we only keep it because it's an old card. We don't see much value in it for our family. I don't want my rewards to be tied to Disney, though, because most of my trips are non-Disney ones.

We collect Chase and Amex points because they can be used for so many things, from hotels to flights. When we do spend on Disney, we just pay for it outright, but try to gather enough Disney gift cards (at a discount, and with 5x points using a Chase Ink Cash card), and we use the points for other trips or for transportation.

There are many options out there, and you have to find what works best for you. I wanted to share my thoughts because there are different ways of looking at things. Hope this helps.

Dh and I thought we would do Japan in 2025 when ds is 5 but now we’re throwing out the idea of going in 2024 instead. We want to go back so badly. I’m not sure if a year difference will matter or not with ds. I’m mostly worried about the long flight unless we can get it overnight. It also depends if we can even get enough points to book in time for next May
Funny--we actually are talking about Japan but dd and I agreed ds is not quite old enough to handle the flight at almost 18.:rotfl2:

We were doing some preliminary research on TDR and Super Nintendo World. I suggested we should go to CA since we've never been to Disneyland or Universal Hollywood but that was shot down.

And I'm still in negotiations with DS to get him down to FL in April. He really doesn't want to fly alone. I'm offering to go over to FLL to get him so he can take a Jetblue nonstop and get him an aisle seat in the first row. He's thinking about it. I'm about to hire dd to fly home from Atlanta, accompany him to Fort Myers, then fly back to Atlanta. And this is all ridiculous and funny, but he hasn't seen my parents in almost two years and my dad isn't doing well and I'm trying to explain that to him but I think he's in denial:(

These are great things for me to think about! We definitely don't spend $50 at a time with every shop, but probably 3-4 times in a trip we would.

Is the Disney Visa card savings on shopDisney exclusive of other discounts, or does it stack? For example, there's the Twice upon a Year sale right now with an extra 25% off with "EXTRA25", but I was thinking that the card would add 10% off on the total. If it's either the 10% off or whatever promo code is available on the site, that probably wouldn't be beneficial very often at all. 🤔

EDIT/Update: In testing the ShopDisney promo codes, it looks like they will stack, although the T&C say that it only stacks with shipping-related offers. Adding the card promo code to the EXTRA25 code lowers the price in cart, although I can't go all the way through checkout to verify obviously since I don't actually have a card.
If you think you would use the shopping/park benefits, you could instead get the Chase Disney debit card since that gets those benefits. Then instead of the Disney CC, you could apply for a CC with a better bonus like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, or if you have a small business, apply for an Ink card. That bonus is $900 right now.

Funny--we actually are talking about Japan but dd and I agreed ds is not quite old enough to handle the flight at almost 18.:rotfl2:

We were doing some preliminary research on TDR and Super Nintendo World. I suggested we should go to CA since we've never been to Disneyland or Universal Hollywood but that was shot down.

And I'm still in negotiations with DS to get him down to FL in April. He really doesn't want to fly alone. I'm offering to go over to FLL to get him so he can take a Jetblue nonstop and get him an aisle seat in the first row. He's thinking about it. I'm about to hire dd to fly home from Atlanta, accompany him to Fort Myers, then fly back to Atlanta. And this is all ridiculous and funny, but he hasn't seen my parents in almost two years and my dad isn't doing well and I'm trying to explain that to him but I think he's in denial:(
Have you considered paying for the seat next to him on JB? I used to do that when dd and I were flying with JB in a 3 x 3 configuration.

Lol I’m not looking forward to the long flight to Japan and the jet lag but I think the trip will be worth it. We’re hoping to go for 2 weeks. I didn’t realize the Tokyo Disney expansion got postponed until next spring. That makes me nervous about trying to go next may because that’s a huge reason for us to go

Have you considered paying for the seat next to him on JB? I used to do that when dd and I were flying with JB in a 3 x 3 configuration.
I second this idea. DS and I did this every time we flew JB to Disneyland. Super easy to book the extra seat online. Sadly, since COVID JB doesn’t seem to fly out of PDX to the Disneyland area anymore and DS and I are sitting on tons of JB miles.

@Alexle2007 I flew Vueling twice last year: Paris to Rome, and Rome to Barcelona. It was a good experience both times. The only advice I have is do not pay extra for the exit row. Their rules about baggage in the exit row are strictly enforced. We weren't allowed to stow any bags under the seat in front of us or in our lap.

Dh and I thought we would do Japan in 2025 when ds is 5 but now we’re throwing out the idea of going in 2024 instead. We want to go back so badly. I’m not sure if a year difference will matter or not with ds. I’m mostly worried about the long flight unless we can get it overnight. It also depends if we can even get enough points to book in time for next May
Good luck getting enough points? How is that going? What is your plan? AA one way?

@Alexle2007 I flew Vueling twice last year: Paris to Rome, and Rome to Barcelona. It was a good experience both times. The only advice I have is do not pay extra for the exit row. Their rules about baggage in the exit row are strictly enforced. We weren't allowed to stow any bags under the seat in front of us or in our lap.
Thanks! When looking at the Vueling schedule, it looks like they don’t fly that route the day we need. So it’s RyanAir NS or another airline and a layover.

Good luck getting enough points? How is that going? What is your plan? AA one way?
I just got instant approval for the Barclays AA business card which is 80k. Dh finished the spend on that same card so that’s 160k. I’m almost finished with the spend on my AA Platinum select which is 50k. I’m thinking we’ll book one way flights with AA out of LAX so we’ll need a positioning flight

Happy New Year everyone! Loving reading all the 2022 travel recaps!
Amex Gold card is where to start. MR transfer 1:1 to Delta, 4x groceries restaurants, enough credits that are easily usable that AF is $10 before offers. The only reason to go straight to a Delta card is checked bags and lounge access.

Does anyone have recommendations for inflatable travel pillows? I'm looking for something I can use on a plane that isn't going to take up a ton of room in my backpack.
Can you elaborate on the "easily usable" Amex Gold credits? I signed up for Amex Gold since they gave me a good SUB offer, but can't see myself keeping the card after the first year unless they offer a really great retention offer (unlike CSR and Venture X which seem to have better perks for the high AF). Are there credits I could potentially be using that I'm overlooking? I think I used restaurant credit once, but that is it since I opened the card!

I follow you on Insta and love the photos you share. I hope you have a fantastic trip and I'm looking forward to more updates. :)
Aw thank you! I’m getting better about posting pics on IG. The trip has been amazing so far! I dare say this is possibly going to topple Antarctica as my all time favorite trip.
Here are a few pics from today.

3F875894-9CEB-4881-A1EB-4CAB281B4FA5.jpeg

3ADEAADB-5593-4661-A4C3-6B054C6C40C6.jpeg

B48BFD8C-879A-4B8C-94A8-544EE8A903EB.jpeg

E97F205E-A19E-4242-B5A3-BF36323A2938.jpeg
F3807F00-8397-4AFF-8961-AE6E1372FA79.jpeg
1B3D18A1-0A46-4C06-A2C6-7BA8B6E96A08.jpeg

I don't have a solution for you, but I totally understand. My 18yo son would be the same way. There's no way he'd fly alone, none at all, it won't happen. I would totally be paying a sibling to fly with him if needed. It sounds like a good idea because she'd be there to get him to and through the airport as well, that'd be an issue for us along with the flight.

Happy New Year everyone! Loving reading all the 2022 travel recaps!

Can you elaborate on the "easily usable" Amex Gold credits? I signed up for Amex Gold since they gave me a good SUB offer, but can't see myself keeping the card after the first year unless they offer a really great retention offer (unlike CSR and Venture X which seem to have better perks for the high AF). Are there credits I could potentially be using that I'm overlooking? I think I used restaurant credit once, but that is it since I opened the card!
$10 each month with GrubHub and Uber Eats, makes two lunches a month an easy choice and covers $240. I may even use the Uber credit for an actual Uber ride this month while I'm on a business trip, money in my pocket when my company reimburses.
I think there is also a difference in where the Gold card sits and what it's goal is in the AMEX system. You compare it to CSR and Venture X but that's really not it's competition, those are competitors to the Plat. The point of the Gold is to earn points, not receive perks.

The point of the Gold is to earn points, not receive perks.
Gold's points are pretty bad for the $250 AF.

4x Groceries - Beaten by 6x Blue Cash Preferred ($95 AF)
4x Restaurants - Matched by 4x Altitude Go ($0 AF)
3x Flights - Matched by 3x on a whole bunch of $0 AF cards, including Wells Fargo Autograph. Beaten by 4x Altitude Connect ($95 AF)

Yes, if you actually use the Uber and GrubHub credits, the AF is negated, but that's all highly lifestyle-dependent. Loads of people don't use Uber or GrubHub ever, let alone every month.

Gold's points are pretty bad for the $250 AF.

4x Groceries - Beaten by 6x Blue Cash Preferred ($95 AF)
4x Restaurants - Matched by 4x Altitude Go ($0 AF)
3x Flights - Matched by 3x on a whole bunch of $0 AF cards, including Wells Fargo Autograph. Beaten by 4x Altitude Connect ($95 AF)

Yes, if you actually use the Uber and GrubHub credits, the AF is negated, but that's all highly lifestyle-dependent. Loads of people don't use Uber or GrubHub ever, let alone every month.
My gold card is my oldest card (1997). I doubt I will ever get rid of it and I actually do use the Uber Credits. It is still expensive for what it is, I guess, but the $120 Uber credit, which I don't have to stretch to use, goes a long way to offsetting the annual fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter