I DON'T Walk. A kids rule May 2015 TR *Completed 2/13*

ashw100

DIS Veteran

Hello and :welcome: to my Trip Report. This TR covers my family’s second WDW trip from May 9-16. We had many firsts this trip including Star Wars Weekends and Flower and Garden Festival. This trip also had a lot of challenges as well which, is to be expected when traveling with three boys under 6. I had a lot of fears going into this trip about what the kids could handle and every fear was realized. You know what though? We still had an amazing time. As members of this board, I think many of us are uber planners and I am no exception. I was prepared for a few setbacks that come along with traveling with kids but, I was completely caught off guard with just how difficult this trip was going to be. So, if you are ready for a wild time where the kids rule all, this is the trip report for you.

I should probably introduce the cast of this TR:

The Unsuspecting parents:

Ashley (that’s me) 27, Stay-at-home mom and obsessive Disney planner and Joe 27, retail store manager and has a growing appreciation for Disney.

The Kids

Connor

Connor is 5 and in preschool. He loves the thrill rides but did become more timid this trip.

James

James is 2 and obsessed with all things Star Wars. He had a rough time this trip going through the terrible twos but I think despite it all he had a good time.

Nicholas

Nicholas was 10 months old this trip and had the hardest time. He is typically a very happy laid-back baby but, he was not happy this trip. I think he had a hard time with the heat and the strangers. He did like the characters though.

If you are interested in how this trip came together I have a PTR here. A condensed version is, I really wanted to go back after our first family trip in 2014. I was pregnant with Nicholas that trip and couldn’t do the thrill rides plus, we had so much fun I wanted to do it again. It was supposed to be a budget trip with no frills but, that quickly changed as the planning went on. We celebrated Connor’s fifth birthday on this trip since he turned 5 the month before. And now I invite you to relax, pull up a chair, as I present you this trip report.

Last edited:
:wave2: Hi there! I'm here!

I had a lot of fears going into this trip about what the kids could handle and every fear was realized.
Yikes! So sorry to hear that! But at least you prepared for it a little.

Oh and I asked you this on my TR but I'll ask here too.. Did you happen to be riding next to a single rider mommy doing rider swap on Soarin around closing on the 13th? The wonderful mom I was talking to next to me had something familiar about her but I didn't think to ask about the disboards until after.

I'm here. I was a little nervous when I saw the title of the TR, but I was glad to see you say that you still had an amazing time. I look forward to reading about the highs and lows.

I'm here and looking forward to reading about your trip. :wave2: I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time despite some unexpected happenings.

:wave2: Hi there! I'm here!

Yikes! So sorry to hear that! But at least you prepared for it a little.

Oh and I asked you this on my TR but I'll ask here too.. Did you happen to be riding next to a single rider mommy doing rider swap on Soarin around closing on the 13th? The wonderful mom I was talking to next to me had something familiar about her but I didn't think to ask about the disboards until after.
:welcome: I thought I was prepared but it was tougher than I had anticipated. Wish I had been there that would have been cool to see you.

I'm here. I was a little nervous when I saw the title of the TR, but I was glad to see you say that you still had an amazing time. I look forward to reading about the highs and lows.
:welcome:It was definitely a different kid of trip but, still magical because I choose to focus on the good parts.

Here and ready to read! :)
:welcome:Thanks for joining in!

I'm here and looking forward to reading about your trip. :wave2: I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time despite some unexpected happenings.
:welcome: It was a little crazy but, in the end its still Disney and therefore amazing.

Let's get this show on the road
Day 0- Travel Day

My trip starts out much like everyone else, with a travel day. You guys are in luck though because we actually had two travels days:rotfl2:. I know this is everyone's least favorite part of TRs so I took lots of pictures and will keep this as short as possible.

The week leading up to our trip was going much smoother than I thought it would until, I had one of those disaster days where everything goes wrong. The baby was throwing up, James was throwing up, James had a nasty fall that landed us at the doctor and the possibility of him having a black eye for the trip:eek:. Everyone ended up okay in the end, James did not have a black eye, but it certainly made me stress before we left:scared:. The day we left, Connor had preschool, Joe had work, and I finished up cleaning and packing. I had the car all packed by 3:30 in the hopes that Joe would be getting of work early. Here is what our trunk looked like:

We had a lot of luggage and I was nervous about navigating through the airport with everything. Joe got home around 4:15 and we were out the door by 4:45. We had a four hour drive from our house in Michigan to Chicago but, everyone was in good spirits.

An hour and 15 into our drive we stopped just past Grand Rapids for dinner. We always stop here for our dinner when we drive to Chicago and it is my first sign that a trip has begun. We got our traditional Chipotle burritos and Starbucks for dessert and then got back to our drive.

The drive was uneventful and we were at our Chicago hotel by 9.

We got a room at the Holiday Inn Express near Chicago Midway airport. They had a really good deal to stay and park there plus, free breakfast. We could have stayed at my in-laws but, this was just easier. Before we went to sleep for the night, Joe posted this on Facebook.

This is coming from my supposedly non-Disney loving husband

Day 1- Travel Day 2

I was surprised by how well I slept that night. I was up by 5am though :sad2:. It was Disney Day and I was ready!

Knowing I couldn't wake everyone else up that early, I watched some Netflix until it was time to get up and moving. Once everyone was up we had our yummy continental breakfast in the lobby.

Their cinnamon rolls are delicious here and a great way to start off the day:thumbsup2. With bellies full, we were ready to head to the airport. This my friends is when I saw my perfectly planned vacation crumble before my eyes. Okay, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic but, the next several hours were some of the most stressful traveling moments we've had. So far, this would be our third time flying with the three boys this year. Every other time they did great but our luck was about to run out.

Joe went to get our bags and other travel items while I waited for the shuttle with the boys. First, it was freezing here. All the boys had was shorts and t-shirts on and they were COLD:cold:. We only had to wait about 20 minutes for the shuttle to come but in that time James had THREE tantrums. I have no idea what they were about, something about world ending, I'm sure:rotfl:. Nicholas kept screaming because he wanted to get down and crawl on the dirty floor and Connor was pouting because we wouldn't let him play with the automatic door. We hadn't even left yet and our system was breaking down.

Once, the shuttle arrived Joe and I had a very orchestrated way of getting everyone and everything on the bus. We were traveling with 4 suitcases, 3 backpacks, 1 diaper bag, 1 purse, 2 strollers, and 2 car seats:faint:. I took the three boys on the bus while Joe and the lovely bus driver loaded everything on. I felt bad for taking up so much room on the luggage racks but, luckily the bus didn't get very full. Once we got to the airport, we had the reverse technique in place. I stood on the curb with the boys while Joe and the driver got the bags out. After tipping the poor guy, we now had to figure out a way to get from the curb to the ticket counter with all our stuff. We each took one stroller/child, one big suitcase, and a car seat which were in bags and strapped to our backs. Everybody was responsible for their own personal carry-on items and then all we had left was the two smaller suitcases. Connor carried the little cars suitcase and I think Joe hooked the other small suitcase to the stroller. I know we looked ridiculous but, we eventually made it to ticketing and checked our bags. One of the bags was 50.5 pounds and I was worried about having to try and shuffle things around but, our ticketing agent was amazing and said it was no problem.

About two hundred pounds lighter, we went through security. Somehow, we got TSA pre-check and got to pass the massive security line and sail right through. I went through with Connor in front of me and holding Nicholas. As I am waiting for our things to go through the x-ray machine, I hear James have an epic meltdown. One thing I should mention about James is that he is terrified of strangers. He will freak out when faced with any forced stranger interaction. The TSA agent was trying to talk to James and have him walk through the metal detector alone. Joe set him down and he just went off. Even when the TSA agent allowed him to go through with Joe, he was just too far gone. I don't remember how long he screamed but, it was a little bit and super embarrassing:blush:. There were no seats by our gate so, we went to a secluded part of the airport to wait the hour until boarding. James was in a really bad mood and freaking out at every little thing and the baby was cranky because he was ready for his morning nap. I was holding off on nursing him until we got on the plane. Needless to say, that hour with two crying kids on and off was painful and embarrassing. Here are some pictures in between the tears.

We walked back over to our gate and as we were waiting a snooty woman walks up and says, “ugh, I can’t believe all the children here”. Like really lady:rolleyes2? I hate flying with my kids, not because they are bad on planes, but because of people like that who give you dirty, death glares because you dare to fly with a kid. The one time I have no anxiety about flying with kids is going to Orlando, the kid vacation capital of the world. And here was this woman, surprised and annoyed by it:confused3. We flew Southwest and I was nervous about being seated together. We got B boarding but, boarded with family boarding. Since most of our flight was either A or family boarding we got seats in the very last row together. I think there were about 50 people with B boarding and there was no C, we were on a small plane. I was hopeful that the two little ones would sleep during the flight. They have been so good about sleeping on flights and I try to schedule around when they would normally nap anyway. James was pretty cranky and tired and fell asleep pretty quickly.

The only problem…he woke up about 15 minutes later.

Nicholas refused to sleep at all and I knew we were in trouble.

I had this flight planned for several reasons. It was late enough that we didn’t have to wake up before the kids normal wake up time and it got us in early enough to do things once we got to Disney. The whole plan wouldn’t work if the kids wouldn’t nap. Even with this set back the kids were pretty good throughout. Nicholas whined a few times but nothing too bad especially with all the other crying kids aboard the plane. I had nice a conversation with the guy near me who was annoyed that he had to go to this conference and they put him at the Contemporary instead of somewhere fun like, the all stars or pop:confused:. It was fun to talk Disney though and helped pass the time.

Soon enough we were making our final descent and headed to our final destination. Deplaning was easy with it being such as small aircraft even being in the back. We did have a decent wait for our gate checked strollers though. Again, I was able to chat up another mom with three boys also waiting for the strollers. I am usually a very shy, reserved person and don’t have conversations with strangers but, something about Disney really gets me talking. We boarded the faux-no-rail but not before caffeinating with some Starbucks.

The day before our trip, somebody died on the monorail from the main terminal to the gates. The emergency stop was pulled and the guy flew out the window and landed on the ground below. It is very sad and I felt for the poor family that lost their loved one. I also made sure that we did not sit in the front car and made Connor move away from the window after I snapped the picture.

Getting our bags was easy but making the trek from one side on the terminal to the complete opposite side to get the rental car was not. We had done online check in so all we had to do was pick out and van and drive. As we were getting the bags and car seats in Nicholas started to scream. At this point I think he was very tired and the heat wasn’t helping. The problem is that he refuses to sleep in a car seat. He screamed the entire way to the hotel and there was nothing we could do about it except get there. I think five about minutes before we got the hotel he did finally succumb to sleep but, that was not a fun drive.

I wish I could say seeing this was a happy moment but, with the baby screaming, I couldn’t really focus on being happy.

With Nicholas and James both asleep we were able to relax and even get some pictures of the resorts we passed.

And finally, our home for the next seven nights.

Continue to next post

Last edited:
Love reading this, I'm traveling for the first time with my 2 and our first WDW vacation this fall and anxious about how it will all go! Good to see the ups and downs and how well you're handling it!

The week leading up to our trip was going much smoother than I thought it would until, I had one of those disaster days where everything goes wrong.

Ugh! Of course, isn't that always the way it goes? I'm glad everyone was feeling better by the time you left.

I love this picture. What is it about hotel rooms that makes them so happy?

This my friends is when I saw my perfectly planned vacation crumble before my eyes.

Oh, No!!!

Needless to say, that hour with two crying kids on and off was painful and embarrassing.

I so feel your pain.

We walked back over to our gate and as we were waiting a snooty woman walks up and says, “ugh, I can’t believe all the children here”. Like really lady:rolleyes2? I hate flying with my kids, not because they are bad on planes, but because of people like that who give you dirty, death glares because you dare to fly with a kid.

How you managed not to punch her I don't even know.

Since most of our flight was either A or family boarding we got seats in the very last row together.

This sounds like our experience. We couldn't family board because the boys are 6 and 9. We didn't pay for A so the whole boarding process was worrying that we couldn't sit together but we got seats together at the very back. It's so stressful!

The day before our trip, somebody died on the monorail from the main terminal to the gates.

That's so scary! I read about that after we returned and was glad it hadn't happened before our trip. That must have been nerve wracking.

The problem is that he refuses to sleep in a car seat.

Really? That must be hard. Usually you can count on them to at least sleep in the car.

I had one of those disaster days where everything goes wrong. The baby was throwing up, James was throwing up, James had a nasty fall that landed us at the doctor and the possibility of him having a black eye for the trip:eek:.
Yikes disaster days just aren't fun! Sorry you had to go through one as well!

:thumbsup2

Okay, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic but, the next several hours were some of the most stressful traveling moments we've had.
Look at the bright side. At least you weren't traveling on mother's day like originally planned.

I have no idea what they were about, something about world ending, I'm sure:rotfl:.
::yes:::rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Nicholas kept screaming because he wanted to get down and crawl on the dirty floor and Connor was pouting because we wouldn't let him play with the automatic door
Such mean parents! :thumbsup2:rotfl::rotfl2:

Somehow, we got TSA pre-check and got to pass the massive security line and sail right through.
Thank goodness for small mercies!

We walked back over to our gate and as we were waiting a snooty woman walks up and says, “ugh, I can’t believe all the children here”.
I would've had to bite my toung not to turn and say "yeah, its only a flight going to disney world. The never of all of us parents!"

:sad2:

I had nice a conversation with the guy near me who was annoyed that he had to go to this conference and they put him at the Contemporary instead of somewhere fun like, the all stars or pop:confused:.
:rotfl: To each their own I suppose.

Just joined in! So sorry your having a tough start... The woman who made the kids comment well that just makes me mad!!! I can't stand people like that if you don't like kids stay home they are everywhere!!!

Can't wait to hear the rest!!

Can't wait to read the rest! Hugs mama, I've had rough traveling moments with ours too! You never know when they're actually going to nap!

Love reading this, I'm traveling for the first time with my 2 and our first WDW vacation this fall and anxious about how it will all go! Good to see the ups and downs and how well you're handling it!
:welcome:Thanks, I tried there may have been a little pity party thrown in there but overall we tried our best to make the most of any bad situation.

Ugh! Of course, isn't that always the way it goes? I'm glad everyone was feeling better by the time you left.
Yes, when it rains it pours an it does just close enough to a big trip to give you a heart attack.

I love this picture. What is it about hotel rooms that makes them so happy?
I don't know but that joy is why I do these things and were not even to Disney yet.

I so feel your pain.
It was bad but even bad things eventually end.

How you managed not to punch her I don't even know.
Oh believe me she got the nasty look I could muster.

This sounds like our experience. We couldn't family board because the boys are 6 and 9. We didn't pay for A so the whole boarding process was worrying that we couldn't sit together but we got seats together at the very back. It's so stressful!
It is so stressful and I'm just not sure it is worth it.

That's so scary! I read about that after we returned and was glad it hadn't happened before our trip. That must have been nerve wracking.
I was definitely nervous and I wanted to tell all the kids sitting up front to get away from the glass.

Really? That must be hard. Usually you can count on them to at least sleep in the car.
I know right? He basically was unhappy any time he couldn't see me which will become a major problem throughout the trip.

Yikes disaster days just aren't fun! Sorry you had to go through one as well!
Yeah, it was rough but I was lucky to only have a disaster day and not a week.

Look at the bright side. At least you weren't traveling on mother's day like originally planned.

OMG you are so right that would have really sucked. All though I found out I could have gotten a free drink on Southwest on Mother's Day that would have made it better.

Such mean parents! :thumbsup2:rotfl::rotfl2:
I know, we also don't let tham play with knives we shouldn't have become parents.

Thank goodness for small mercies!
I know we actually got it both ways which makes traveling so much better.

I would've had to bite my toung not to turn and say "yeah, its only a flight going to disney world. The never of all of us parents!"
I mean really was she just that clueless?

:rotfl: To each their own I suppose.
Lol. he was really nice I just thought it was funny. I would love to get a partially free Disney vacation no matter where they put me up. But he had his three kids with him and I guess he just wanted a more kid friendly feel.

Just joined in! So sorry your having a tough start... The woman who made the kids comment well that just makes me mad!!! I can't stand people like that if you don't like kids stay home they are everywhere!!!

Can't wait to hear the rest!!
:welcome: and thanks for joining.

Can't wait to read the rest! Hugs mama, I've had rough traveling moments with ours too! You never know when they're actually going to nap!
:thanks: Traveling is definitely unpredictable with kids. I just hoped that of the three trips, this one would be the easiest but I was wrong.

Also, love that Grand Rapids makes it on your trip report - that's where I live :flower: We considered flying out of Chicago but decided the drive there and back wasn't worth any savings. My youngest is a terrible car traveler :/

Any tips for travelling with a toddler on a plane? We are taking the little one as a lap child. Here's hoping air travel goes better than car travel!!

I had one of those disaster days where everything goes wrong. The baby was throwing up, James was throwing up, James had a nasty fall that landed us at the doctor and the possibility of him having a black eye for the trip:eek:.
Definitely not what you want before a trip. I'm glad everything turned out ok though.

But everyone loves vacations. :rolleyes1

Their cinnamon rolls are delicious here and a great way to start off the day:thumbsup2.
::yes::

This my friends is when I saw my perfectly planned vacation crumble before my eyes. Okay, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic but, the next several hours were some of the most stressful traveling moments we've had. So far, this would be our third time flying with the three boys this year. Every other time they did great but our luck was about to run out.
Uh oh... Flying with 2 kids is bad enough. I can only imagine... :faint:

Needless to say, that hour with two crying kids on and off was painful and embarrassing. Here are some pictures in between the tears.
Oh yuck. I'm sorry that the TSA check kind of set off a chain reaction.

We walked back over to our gate and as we were waiting a snooty woman walks up and says, “ugh, I can’t believe all the children here”. Like really lady:rolleyes2? I hate flying with my kids, not because they are bad on planes, but because of people like that who give you dirty, death glares because you dare to fly with a kid.
She was apparently 25 years old when she was born. :sad2:

The one time I have no anxiety about flying with kids is going to Orlando, the kid vacation capital of the world. And here was this woman, surprised and annoyed by it:confused3.
Seriously. I mean of all the flights you should expect to find kids on... :rolleyes:

We flew Southwest and I was nervous about being seated together.
I'm sure you could find a couple of seats right next to Mrs. I-hate-kids. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

:headache: No! Just sleep!!!!

I had nice a conversation with the guy near me who was annoyed that he had to go to this conference and they put him at the Contemporary instead of somewhere fun like, the all stars or pop:confused:.
Um... what????? Has this dude ever been to Disney World before? Does he even know what he's talking about???

I could see Pop or All Stars looking cool if you're just looking at the internet. I mean they definitely have more theming and look like they have a lot going on. But any real Disney veteran knows the Contemporary is steps away from the MK and HAS A MONORAIL RUNNING THROUGH IT!!!!

I'd have definitely had to have a chat with him. Or offer to trade him reservations so that he doesn't have to suffer through staying there... :scratchin

Again, I was able to chat up another mom with three boys also waiting for the strollers. I am usually a very shy, reserved person and don’t have conversations with strangers but, something about Disney really gets me talking.
I totally get that. I'm kind of that way too. But when it comes to Disney, you kind of know there's common ground. People either get it or they don't. And it usually isn't hard to tell which side of the fence they're on.

The day before our trip, somebody died on the monorail from the main terminal to the gates.
I heard about that. I didn't realize the timing of the accident though. That would be a little bit concerning to hop on that thing the next day.

I think five about minutes before we got the hotel he did finally succumb to sleep but, that was not a fun drive.
:sad2: Oh well. At least you made it and he's napping now. Finally. Hopefully you can keep him asleep during the check in process and extend the nap time a bit.

I'm in and loving your report. My three and half year old DS is scared of strangers too so I can totally relate to your airport experience. Hopefully everyone wakes up in better moods for their first day at Disney.

Oh my gosh what a beginning to your trip! Hopefully Disney helped wash some of that stress away. And what's up with the lady on a flight to ORLANDO complaining about kids? :sad2:

Can't wait to read more!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter