I confess, I save big money at the Goodwill, do you?

IowaGirl

Mouseketeer
I can't believe all of the new stuff I find at the Goodwill stores and Salvation Army stores in my area.
I started poking around in February for our May trip and I found all kinds of goodies...new fanny packs with water bottle carriers for the kids, new backpacks, t-shirts for .25 that if DS dribbled his mouse-ear ice cream on, we didn't bring back.
I knew my 10 year old would have outgrown all of her shorts from last season, and I bought 14 pairs of new and new looking denim shorts for about 20 bucks!!!
I just had to confess, because I am already poking around for next spring!!!
Everything is like a dollar or two, or cheaper on .25 day. Way better selection than a garage sale....
just had to share since I was there today :cool:

IowaGirl: I also love to rummage thru my local Goodwill store. I have gotten some amazing deals on clothes (many of them designer labels) and if you have a little time, and luck, you can get some real quality goods...even my DH is hooked! He has found many sport coats for work for under $10!

Don't worry...your secret is safe with me!!!

I have a wonderful Goodwill store.

Some things are amazing that I get.. I have a dress that I wear to work. I've gotten numerous comments on it. It was $2!

I have also gotten a wonderful work suit, again $2

I just got a bunch of books off my sons summer reading list for 10 cents.

We have several Thrift stores locally (OH) and I've visited them. At first, I felt kind of funny about it, like I should be buying at a "regular" store, but when I got jeans for $2 and an outside coat (with down) for $6 and some shirts that still had store tags on them, I decided this was an OK place.

My dad, who went "home" in 1992, and my mom for that matter, were Depression era kids. Both worked as I grew up and we never really wanted for anything. He used to tell me, "It's not how much money you make; it's how you spend it." Needless to say, Dad's looking a lot smarter to me these days. And he's probably bent over laughing, thinking that I'm finally "gettin' it." Better late than never.

I have found that the Goodwill Superstore has a great variety of new and nearly new items. Unlike the thrift stores of old, it is bright, clean and well organized. It has become a habit to shop there at least twice a week. It is always like a treasure hunt...you'll never know what you'll find.

My teenage boys used to shutter when I'd buy stuff there until they discovered I could find the designer names they like for a fraction of the cost. We have also found hockey skates and other sports items for very little.

I encourage anyone shopping there to keep and open mind (they may not have exactly what you are looking for the first time). It also helps to check regularly and shop early if possible. New stuff comes in daily.

Okay, you all have convinced me. I'm off to the Goodwill store. I need clothes really really bad. I've been dieting since last August and have changed sizes several times. It's great but taking me broke. We will be heading out on vacation soon and could really use more clothes. Hope I have as much luck as the rest of you have. :D

Me, too! I love a bargain!!

I like garage sales, too -- especially for housewares, etc. amazing what you can find -- just wish I had more time to look!

:D One of my favourite things to do before a WDW trip is head to the second-hand stores to buy clothes for our trip. DH is fairly rough on his clothes so usually needs a whole new wardrobe every year! I usually budget for $100 and bring home bags and bags of stuff. It takes a few hours and a few stores but the savings are totally worth it. Sometimes I even find Disney logo shirts in good condition!

:( We don't have Goodwill's here. But we do have other thrift stores:p I found a brand new suit for work that was the equivalent of 95% marked down. My biggest thing tho' is furniture...you can find all sorts of neat stuff that at $25 or $50 when you tire of it you just donate it back again. I also look for dishes that go with placesettings that I already have but so far no success.

Me & Mom used to go shopping at places like Goodwill all the time so its something I've just continued.

I confess, I save big money at the Goodwill, do you?

You bet I do! I recently got a new pair of Disney Store brand PJ's - tags still attached - for only a few $$. I found disposable rain ponchos still in the sealed bag for 25 cents a piece. I'll be wearing my new Teva's sandals (cost - $2.00) on our upcoming trip. I'm always finding great bargains in the thrift stores around here. I just love em'!:D

I confess my DH is addicted to the goodwill
He buys playstation games for like $3 - $7
Those games are quite expensive - I'm sure everybody knows that

Also he buys board games. We got a really cool planet
hollywood game for $1.97. I'll bet that game cost $20-$30
when it was new.

I'm going to have to go with him sometime soon to check out
the goodies.

I started shopping at Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village when I started losing weight. I went from 210 lbs to 122 lbs and I wasn't going to by new clothes all the time. I gained 20 baby pounds and had to buy a couple pair od jean overalls for about $3.00! I get great deals on big toys, Little Tykes and FP great stuff. I save a ton of money at these stores! I know lots of people who are coming out of the closet about shopping at second hand shops! S

Here, the Target stores donate to the Goodwills. If it doesn't sale off it goes. I have gone and bought brand new Merona skirts, Cherokee shirts, etc.. for next to nothing. I love the thrift stores.

I just got back from a Value Village 1/2 off sale!! $15. for 2 pair shoes,5 shirts,and a great pair of black dress pants. All approved by Dd to wear to school and her modeling class!!

This is funny & coincidental! I sat down to read these posts right after I'd been at both garage sales AND the GoodWill (which my 3 yr old calls "good wheels")....my kids love it as much as I do!

I got a Madame Alexander "Huggums" doll for one dollar! For those of you moms of girls out there, we know this is a $50 baby doll that was in MINT condition! Very exciting for me....

I've gotten Ralph Lauren polos for my husband for $2 and Donna Karan sweaters, etc....it is fun fun fun!

My six year old and three year old say (while we're in the Gap or Gymboree) "we could probably get better deals at "goodwheels" -- I'm raising cheepees just like me....ha

funkiller------
You'll have to post us if you find anything!!

I am so excited to be 'outed'

DH thought I was nuts till he went (he's not very good at it though :D )

When I can get my 10 year nice comfy Levi's for $1-$2, I can barely contain myself.

I even got a suitcase their for our last trip that was a 30 inch pullman for 3.38---very lucky though, most of the luggage is rough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter