I can't Believe I'm Doing this (New Job & Last Minute Solo Trip)! 1/17/17

Nakkira

DIS Veteran
So yeah. After searching for a new job (for a couple of years) I have finally managed to score a new one. I start on 1/23.
I managed to give notice and have a week off before starting the new post.
So I wanted to get away for a couple of days, hopefully to some place warmer. I originally was thinking Vegas, but when that did pan out I priced out a Disney Trip.
2 nights at Disney All Star Sports (not my first choice but it was the Cheapest)

3 Day Park hoppers (edit- not park hoppers, I somehow goofed)
Ground Transportation
Flight

TOTAL: $581.10

Who's Going? Just little old me.
meandMickey1_zps5fe40041.jpg

I have never done a Disney solo trip before. My DDH and I have been married just over a year now and my last trip was with him October 2013.
However I am an experienced solo traveler and think I will manage to get a lot out of my 2.5 day trip. I really need some Sunshine and time with my Disney Friends to help me reset my mind for this next challenging stage. So many Changes in the last couple of years!

Dates: Jan 1/17/16-1/19/16

PLANS: None yet! Give me a day or 2 ;-)

TIPS on how to plan a last minute Solo trip appreciated
!

Last edited:
Potential Schedule Round 1:
1/17 - 3pm Check in
-4 Head to Hollywood Studios for a couple of hours
-6/7 Head to Magic Kingdom for the rest of the Night

1/18 -Epcot

1/19 -Check out (Will they keep my bags so I can go to the park until time to take shuttle back to Airport?)
-10am Head to Animal Kingdom for Morning (flight not till 8pm)

I feel slightly foolish. I should have known my flight bargain was too good to be true. Turns out the Frontier Airlines even charges you for carry-on. $30 each way. That's another $60. Also they charge you even for water.
That's ok. You ARE allowed 1 personal item (has to fit under seat). I will only be in Florida for 2 nights. I will be coming from chilly Philly. So I will later the clothes I wear on the flight and stuff my coat pockets with snacks. I will "micro" pack undies, a couple extra shirts, shorts, socks, a small hair brush, and a toothbrush, into a Vera Bradly bag I was given. If I have to buy sunscreen and toothpaste at the resort it is still BOUND to come in under $60. I had no plans to acquire souvenirs other then some pin trading and Those I can wear.
I can do this and save my money for Food.

I am feeling much more reassured about packing small after a trial run this weekend. I can fit a lot into a small space.

I went to Disney last fall with a similar length stay. I was able to pack in my personal item (Spirit Airlines) to avoid paying for luggage. It can be done!

I went solo in the fall, though it wasn't last minute. If I were you, I'd get my fast passes if you haven't already and decide what you really want to see or do. Have a few must do and wing the rest! I love to eat so perusing the menus online is something I enjoy. Knowing where I want to eat takes spur of the minute decision off of my back when I'm suddenly starving and grouchy.

I'm so jealous of your trip!

I am too late already for MOST of the Fast Pass= reservations I want so I will have to mostly wing it.
Here are the things I REALLY want to do:

HS- Rocking Rollar Coaster, TOT, TSM (never done it), Star Tours, Muppet 3D
Epcot - Frozen Ride (never done it) Pixar 4d (did snag Fast Pass), Soarin (did snag Fast pass, only been once but was miserable because 2 hour wait after breakdown and had to pee), Fast Track (never done)
MK -Space mountain. BTMR, 7 Dwarves ride, Little Mermaid Ride, BOG (no chance)
AK- Nemo, EE

EDIT NOTE: I had originaly called Frozen the "tangle ride" -LOL. I KNEW, but I said it wrong.

Last edited:

My Flight home on Thursday is not till 8:45pm. Can one check out, leaver their bags and still go to the parks until time to meet Magical Express?

YES you can regarding leaving your bags at the hotel. You just leave it with bell services when you check out, and then when you go back to your hotel to catch your magical express you pick up your bags from bell services!

YES you can regarding leaving your bags at the hotel. You just leave it with bell services when you check out, and then when you go back to your hotel to catch your magical express you pick up your bags from bell services!

That is awesome!!
I THOUGHT I had read about someone else doing this in a trip report a couple of Years back, but could not remember for certain. Thanks!

Opps!

I really need to learn to pay more attention...

When Building my vacation package I had built a few (some with dining, some without, some with park hoppers, some without, some with 2 day, some with 3)
I really thought that I had chosen the one with 3 day Park Hopper (and was pleased by the price)
I just reviewed my details again last night and realized.... no.. just three day single park.. no Hopper option.
:sad:
Well there goes my whole plan. I was pretty upset, and it's not like I can just "upgrade" because my husband, while he agree to this and the price I am paying, in not going to agree to More.

After I let it settle in a bit though I realized this is not so bad.
There are 2 things I was certain of.
1. I was going to MK the first night (I have a friend I am meeting for the fireworks that night and really that is a MUST first night of any Disney trip for me)
2. Weds (my only WHOLE day) would be spent Primarily at Epcot.

The thing is I was really struggling with the timing and how to fit in bot HS and AK. Would I hit them both Thurs.
Would I hop to one Weds. Would I dash over to AK Tues BEFORE MK and risk not having enough time at Mk????
:crazy:
This was making it difficult to form a good last minute game plan and choose (what I could of what's left anyway) my Fast Pass + options.

Ok then. If I cannot hop that men I only get 3 parks.
Bye-Bye AK. I love AK, it's pretty and it's fun. However there where only two things there that I REALLY wanted to do. Nemo Musical and Expedition Everest.
So that Left me with actually quite a solid game plan.
1 Tues - afternoon MK - After Check in.
2 Weds -Epcot
3 Thurs - HS -After check out but before later flight.

THIS is also making it a lot easier to sort through my Fast Pass options and making a better over all game-plan.
Might help me narrow down Dining too. Still not sure if I am getting any AR's as most of the ones I want are not available anyhow.

Although, now that I have eliminated AK, I am wondering if I should not at least visit Animal Kingdom Lodge (never been)
Then I get a small taste of the AK thing, and I have heard it's nice to tour.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Epcot - Tangled Ride (never done it)
Hey, Just a heads up, there is not a Tangled Ride in Epcot. There is a Frozen Ride. Frozen Ever After is in the Norway Pavilion where Maelstrom used to be and stand by times for this ride can get REALLY long.

Hey, Just a heads up, there is not a Tangled Ride in Epcot. There is a Frozen Ride. Frozen Ever After is in the Norway Pavilion where Maelstrom used to be and stand by times for this ride can get REALLY long.
Haha. That's really what I meant. I just got it "Tangled" in my head.

Oh my gosh I remember reading your TR back in 2013! Glad to see you back on here! And happy to hear that you are married now, congrats!

I think your solo trip will be fun! You may only be there a short time but it sounds like you will get a lot done. I personally love Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is nice to tour and you get to see some cool animals!

Oh my gosh I remember reading your TR back in 2013! Glad to see you back on here! And happy to hear that you are married now, congrats!

I think your solo trip will be fun! You may only be there a short time but it sounds like you will get a lot done. I personally love Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is nice to tour and you get to see some cool animals!

It was a bumpy road (life) but we are quite happily wed now. ;-)
I think I WILL try to make the time for AKL. Maybe I can take a break from Epcot and have lunch there on Wed or go over for breakfast Thur before heading to HS.

It was a bumpy road (life) but we are quite happily wed now. ;-)
I think I WILL try to make the time for AKL. Maybe I can take a break from Epcot and have lunch there on Wed or go over for breakfast Thur before heading to HS.

The QS restaurant there (The Mara) is supposed to be pretty good, and they have zebra domes which is one of my favorite dessert treats!

IT'S HERE!!!!!!

My First EVER Magic Band!!!!!!!!!!

pixiedust::yay:pixiedust:

5dbb19b7-9bba-456c-8f1b-c5d06ab265fe_zpsrdqh0ky5.jpg

Yes, of Course I got Purple... Purple and green are my two favorite colors!

I am so stoked! I remember being very jealous (and perplexed) by the Magic Bands on my last trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter