I am a simpleton(Offsite MagicBand ?'s)

Soldier's*Sweeties

DIS Veteran
I am planning a trip for myself, MIL(yes we get along :laughing:), and 10 year old twins to visit WDW for 4-5 days this summer. We'll be using her reward points to stay at one of the Disney Springs hotels so we'll be offsite.

I haven't been to WDW since the old paper FastPass days so I am LOST when it comes to MagicBands. It seems pretty easy to understand when staying onsite but I am having trouble understanding the process when it comes to staying offsite.

Here are my questions:
1) When I purchase my park tickets do they send me MBs or do I order them separately(I've seen them for sale on the Disney Store website)?

2) If they are purchased separately, how do I go about making our reservations when we hit our 30 day mark? Is there a way to link it?

I would forever appreciate it if someone can dumb it down for me. I've looked at the WDW website and can't seem to find anything like, "#1- Buy tickets...#2-Buy MagicBands..."

You don't need MBs.

Your ticket card links to mde (my Disney experience) and your fps are done through that.

The only thing you miss without MBs is the auto linking of photopass ride photos and the two ride videos (mine train and something else).

Your tickets will not come with a MagicBand, it will have to be a separate purchase. The band itself is just an extension of your ticket, so it's not a requirement to have in order to setup fast passes or ADRs. If you haven't, you will have to set up a profile on My Disney Experience, then your selections can be made there. If you have your tickets already, just link them to your account. If not, I think you might need the tickets to make the selections for everyone, though I'm not quite sure on that. Should you decide to add MagicBands, they can be attached to your account by adding the serial number on the back of the band and they'll just be connected to those same selections.

Magic Bands are not part of the ticket purchase, they are part of an onsite resort stay. So you are not entitled to free Magic Bands. You can purchase them at the Disney Store or onsite, but you don't need them. The plastic ticket you receive will be scanned for park admittance and FP + return times.
As stated, the Magic Bands point to your MDE account and allow the systems to link to the information contained in that account. There is no "information" on the Band itself. You do need to have the purchased tickets linked to the MDE account to be eligible to make FP+ reservations at 30 days. FP+ is linked to your ticket.
Good Luck

So say I WANT to buy MagicBands. Once I have my Disney account set up I can link it with the serial number on the bands. Do I have it right?

Next question:
Can I buy the bands the day before we hit the parks? We plan on hanging out at Disney Springs during our arrival evening. I think the kids would enjoy picking out their own bands, and I know they sell them at some of the stores there. Is linking them something I can do on my laptop(phone) the night before at the hotel?

So your tickets will come as plastic cards which you will link to your MDE account (might be automatic if you buy direct from disney, not sure).

At 30 days out of each day (so if staying 4 days, do them each of the 4 30 day out mornings for best selection!) Youll pick your fast passes on MDE. They will be linked to your plastic tickets.

If you buy magic bands, link them to your MDE and then theyll have your fast passes linked also.

I found the one reason to do magic bands if staying off site is the 2 ride videos youll miss, Frozen ever after and mine train i think. But only one person per ride car needs it, so you dont have to have them for all in your party. We may do them for our kids and use plastic cards for ourselves.

So your tickets will come as plastic cards which you will link to your MDE account (might be automatic if you buy direct from disney, not sure).

At 30 days out of each day (so if staying 4 days, do them each of the 4 30 day out mornings for best selection!) Youll pick your fast passes on MDE. They will be linked to your plastic tickets.

If you buy magic bands, link them to your MDE and then theyll have your fast passes linked also.

I found the one reason to do magic bands if staying off site is the 2 ride videos youll miss, Frozen ever after and mine train i think. But only one person per ride car needs it, so you dont have to have them for all in your party. We may do them for our kids and use plastic cards for ourselves.

That's a good idea. I'm all about streamlining the process. My husband and I used to buy the Express Passes at Universal and it was kind of pain getting the cards in and out each time. I couldn't imagine doing it with my kids. I'm too impatient LOL.

So say I WANT to buy MagicBands. Once I have my Disney account set up I can link it with the serial number on the bands. Do I have it right?
Luckily, Disney has made it pretty straight forward to add a MagicBand to your MDE account.

UrPoCCM.png

From the MyDisneyExperience tab in the top right corner, select the MagicBands and Cards link.

RClP4km.png

Click on the Link button to add a purchased band.

bEFH75T.png

Select MagicBand

1GqqpsR.png

Find the ID Number on the back of the band and enter it in the box. I believe the next screen will have you link the band to a specific ticket, but I don't have a new band to confirm that part. It's a pretty easy process. If nothing else, you can buy the bands at the park and a CM will link it after purchase (if their little computer things are working).

Next question:
Can I buy the bands the day before we hit the parks? We plan on hanging out at Disney Springs during our arrival evening. I think the kids would enjoy picking out their own bands, and I know they sell them at some of the stores there. Is linking them something I can do on my laptop(phone) the night before at the hotel?

Yes. It only takes a minute to do each one. You can do it on the mde site.

Luckily, Disney has made it pretty straight forward to add a MagicBand to your MDE account.

From the MyDisneyExperience tab in the top right corner, select the MagicBands and Cards link.

Click on the Link button to add a purchased band.

Select MagicBand

Find the ID Number on the back of the band and enter it in the box. I believe the next screen will have you link the band to a specific ticket, but I don't have a new band to confirm that part. It's a pretty easy process. If nothing else, you can buy the bands at the park and a CM will link it after purchase (if their little computer things are working).
Perfect, thanks! Why didn't I see all of that info? Now I feel silly.

Perfect, thanks! Why didn't I see all of that info? Now I feel silly.
The MDE site is nice, but it takes a bit of hunting to find some of the info you may be looking for. My page currently has a bunch of stuff on it because I have a trip coming up and I'm staying at a Disney Resort, so a lot of that information is filled in on my main page. After the trip is over, it goes back to being pretty sparse. That side menu is pretty good about giving you a quick link to some of the important stuff, so don't be afraid to click around. There's some good info buried on the site.

That's a good idea. I'm all about streamlining the process. My husband and I used to buy the Express Passes at Universal and it was kind of pain getting the cards in and out each time. I couldn't imagine doing it with my kids. I'm too impatient LOL.

I figure if we do any cards we will either punch them and put them on a lanyard or put them on those retractable ID badge landyards like I use for work. Definitely dont want to dig them in and out of pockets constantly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter