Huge surf up at North Shore right now - use caution

alohamom

DIS Veteran
For anyone headed to Aulani or Oahu in the next few days, the North Shore is experiencing pretty big waves so please take care and exercise caution if you head up that way. This is typical for the winter but I guess the waves have been bigger than usual this week ... the first bit of video doesnt make it look too bad but some of the surfing footage shows how huge the waves are and of course, the wicked undertow

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...rfer-to-hospital-nearly-sweeps-toddler-to-sea

Thanks for the video!! Wow like the movie point break! I hope I make it to Hawaii in the winter to see these in person one day.
Thanks
Kerri

I can't tell you how cool it is that you @alohamom and several other residents come here and post all this great first-hand info!! Can't remember all the names, but thanks to all of you!

I was up there yesterday to see the waves. It was sooooo cool, the biggest I've seen since I've been here. But you do need to have caution, and absolutely don't get into the water. I don't care how good of a swimmer. I got knocked on my butt on the windward side the other day by a relatively small wave and I'm in the water every other day, and have always spent time at the ocean every summer since I was a child. I know waves. I respect the ocean. This one surprised even me.

In other words, don't make the mistake of thinking the whole island is Disneyesque 'fake'. This is real stuff.

Man, I'd love to see that...but it would scare me into staying dry!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter