How we did our wedding on a budget...

GeekChic

Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company...
For anyone who wants to get married at WDW but is on a budget (as my sweetie and I were when we got married) it can be a bewildering experience.

So I just thought I'd post how we did our wedding, and maybe it might give you all some ideas :)

We got married in May of 1999. My sweetie was still in college and I was a single mom of a three year old, and so we had to watch every dime. We were going to elope but it was his first wedding and his parents would've been devestated, so we got to a very happy compromise that everyone ended up loving :)

We couldn't afford to get married on property, so we got married at a wedding chapel in Kissimmee (a victorian house). They took our pictures, videotape, performed the wedding itself, and recommended a local florist who gave me just what I wanted at very fair prices.

Then we arranged a luncheon at the Grand Floridian Cafe for us and our 16 guests, we arranged it through group dining. We were able to get, for 26.50 a person at the time (this is surely more expensive now but still) a menu personalized with our names and wedding date and picture, with three choices of entree (steak, chicken breast, or vegetarian pasta) that was served with either soup or salad, coffee, tea or soda, and side dishes. There was also a choice of two different desserts (we decided against having a cake, because they would charge extra for us to bring on in, but we didn't miss it!).

Lunch started at 11 and ended at about 2 (they never made us feel rushed at all! It was lovely) and after everyone was done, they changed clothes and headed to the Magic Kingdom.

We split up into little groups but kept running into eachother all day in the park LOL then we met up at 8 pm for dinner at CRT. Most of the guests were so full from lunch that they only had dessert or appetizers, but it was wonderfully romantic (Fairy Godmother was in the lobby and when she learned it was my wedding day, she gave me all the pixie dust she had in her pockets and some advice too ;) I felt like a five year old! After dinner, we all watched Fantasy in the Sky together, and said our goodnights to our guests. Since the park was open till 12 (holiday weekend) we still had two hours to play in the parks before our wedding day was over!

Our guests have said it was the most unique and one of the most memorable weddings they'd ever been to. I know it was the perfect wedding for us, and we didn't have to use Disney's wedding planners at all (saving lots of money!)

I know the Grand cafe is undergoing renovations right now but it is a lovely place to eat and the food is phenomenal, just wanted to let others know our experience in case their heart is set on a WDW wedding day, but they haven't won powerball yet LOL

Happy Planning and congrats to all the engaged people out there! :)

Ro
writer, eccentric, and "chic geek" married nearly five years now! :)

Oh! And my dd who was only three and a half at the time had the time of her life that day too. Simply magic. She still calls the GF "the married hotel" cause it's where her step dad and I got married LOL

Thank you for sharing this. I am trying to "affordably" renew our vows, and it is crazy expensive sometimes. But it can be done on a budget, as you have proven. It sounds like you had a great day!

we did something similar to Geekchic as well! only it was just the two of us...we had both been married before and didn't want all of the hoopla that normally surrounds a wedding. our first choice was las vegas. it was easiest...tons of wedding chapels...and it's one of DH's favorite destinations. i was all prepared for vegas...

but i'd always had a soft spot for WDW. it was my favorite destination...so DH told me to get info on getting married there. when we saw the prices for us to have an intimate wedding on-site, we about died. there was no way for us to afford to get married there unless we postponed it. and we'd been waiting long enough to marry each other (we had been high school sweethearts...so we'd waited 12 years since breaking up way back when!) so postponing was out of the question. i turned my focus back to vegas...but then a deal on expedia.com came my way and we just couldn't pass it up. it was roundtrip air from indianapolis, 6 nights at an all-star, midsize rental car, and 2 7 day ultimate park hopper plus tickets for a grand total of $950!!! (we later discovered it had been a glitch in the system and the park passes weren't supposed to be included, but DH managed to get expedia to pay for our admission tickets since it was their error) anyway, i had done some minor research and discovered some chapels off-site to get married at. heck, by that time, we were ready to just hit the justice of the peace and say our "i do's"!

but i did find a nice wedding chapel off of HWY 192 there in kissimmee. the little white wedding chapel. it's owned by a couple from the UK...very nice couple...the husband does the ceremonies and the wife is the coordinator and serves as a witness if need be. anyway, we had a nice ceremony, pictures, video, a small cake and a bottle of champagne for about $500. my mom made my dress for me...we did our own flowers...and our own unity candle...we were able to choose our own music (which came from Disney's Instrumental Impressions cd)...my big splurge was that i had a disney cosmetologist do my hair for me...and our wedding was exactly what we had wanted...

and best of all...we were able to spend our honeymoon there at WDW!! DH and i played at epcot that day for a few hours. we did go back to our hotel room to get some dressier clothes for the evening and then had dinner at Alfredo's in the world showcase. the evening was topped off with an illuminations cruise along with some of our newfound DIS friends.

i would recommend the little white wedding chapel to anyone!! pat is wonderful there!!!

best wishes to all disney brides and grooms!!

Scarlett -

I would love to see some of your pictures. Do you have any that you can email? Pics are important and I don't want terrible pictures - how was the photography? If you have some that you can email - send to daisy57b@yahoo.com

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter