How to survive 2 weeks at WDW?

hkkatie

Mouseketeer
Hi all, we are planning a big trip to WDW in summer 2018. We're planning a 2 week trip to FL with 6 or 7 park days, a few days off here and there so that we can have time to do other FL things, too, or just rest days. We have never been to FL before, but we also live in a hot/humid climate, so we are fairly used to that sort of weather. However, yesterday I took my 4 kids to Hong Kong Disneyland for the day. We were there from opening (10am) until about 7pm, (didn't stay until closing), and the weather was cool. By the time we got home (takes a little over an hour of travel), we were totally exhausted. I logged over 19k steps on my fit bit. And waking up this morning has been rough. Headache, sore knees, tired.... How are we ever going to survive 7 park days in 2 weeks during the hot/humid months? I'm really struggling now with the idea of doing this trip, even though it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid.

I live in a much cooler climate than FL and on an average work day I walk around 20k steps according to my pedometer, you need to make sure that you have shoes that are comfortable and have good ankle support, multiple times I have worn my Vans and Converse to London and got bad pains in my knees and ankles. Adidas have a great line of shoes with a technology called BOOST, I now have multiple pairs of these shoes and they are by far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn and worth the money.

Also pace yourself, you are there for a long amount of time and will have enough to go round the parks at least once, also whilst at the parks you need to give yourself rests, even rides like Ellen's Energy Adventure in EPCOT that are long and indoors. it will give you a rest and will cool you off. also you need to keep yourself hydrated which is something that is easy to forget in the moment but with the heat and amount you will walking it is extremely bad for you to not (the amount of times i have seen people fainting in Universal and WDW is scary).

If one of you feel bad during the day don't try and battle through it, this is something I have tried to do when i have felt bad and you feel the repercussions a lot more in the next few days, with how active you are, it is much better to have a more relaxed day, maybe at a water park or just go in to a park for a shorter amount of time and it will very much make you feel better for the rest of your vacation. Hope this helps!

you're going to be there for two weeks,take it easy! go slow,and enjoy the details. no need to rush around

I went for 2 weeks last year. With so much time on your hands, take it easy. No need to do the entire park in a day.

Think about doing a few hours at a time. By doing this, you fast pass all your rides in quick succession of each other and in the same area of the park to maximize your short trips into the park. This will also be less taxing on your body.
Take advantage of the resort pool to relax. You will save lots of money if you do meals in your room and plan visits between meals.

I had an AP with fun and more. So I could park hop and go to the water parks daily if I wanted to. I also had a 1 bed villa with a kitchen on property that allowed me to cook if I wanted to. I stayed at the SSR and almost daily walked over to Disney Springs because I was not in any hurry while I was there.
I made it a point to see each of the parks night time extra events like fireworks and parades after having dinner. I got to see the rope drop at the MK and was back at the room by noon to take a nap or jump in the pool.
There wasn't one day we didn't get out and do anything. Even when we had planned whole days off. We just had the energy to do it all.

We will be in FL for 2 weeks, but not with 14 day tickets! We will only have 6 or 7 day tickets. And we are not getting park hoppers. Also we will probably be staying off site to save money. So there is only so much taking it easy on our park days that we can do.

We will be in FL for 2 weeks, but not with 14 day tickets! We will only have 6 or 7 day tickets. And we are not getting park hoppers. Also we will probably be staying off site to save money. So there is only so much taking it easy on our park days that we can do.
Then carefully plan your park days to coincide with early nights the day before. Take advantage of rope drop, bring snacks and water bottles to refill as needed. Plan to hit hard in the mornings when there is less crowds for rides you absolutely must do. For afternoons, plan an ADR in the park at one of the less expensive restaurants. This will get you a chance to cool down and recharge. Plan for "easy, low crowd" rides in the afternoons when the park is busiest.
If planning a late night park day, plan to get to that park later in the day, plan your fast passes for afternoon and enjoy the park as it gets dark. Don't plan a night park with an early am next day.
On your "off" days, plan to sleep in, enjoy your hotel pool, and just recharge. There's a lot to do around Orlando without pushing yourself too hard.
Have fun! You are blessed to have that length of time to relax and enjoy!

We did 2 weeks last summer- awesome trip! We always took midday breaks, and would go back in the evening for a show/dinner and maybe hit a couple of rides. But most of the rides were in the AM. We also took a complete day off every 2-3 days and hit a water park or hung out by the pool. You can go at a slower pace. We are already planning our next 2 week trip in June of 2018!

Hi all, we are planning a big trip to WDW in summer 2018. We're planning a 2 week trip to FL with 6 or 7 park days, a few days off here and there so that we can have time to do other FL things, too, or just rest days. We have never been to FL before, but we also live in a hot/humid climate, so we are fairly used to that sort of weather. However, yesterday I took my 4 kids to Hong Kong Disneyland for the day. We were there from opening (10am) until about 7pm, (didn't stay until closing), and the weather was cool. By the time we got home (takes a little over an hour of travel), we were totally exhausted. I logged over 19k steps on my fit bit. And waking up this morning has been rough. Headache, sore knees, tired.... How are we ever going to survive 7 park days in 2 weeks during the hot/humid months? I'm really struggling now with the idea of doing this trip, even though it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid.
I would RD ( get there when the park opens) and stay until 1 or 2 and then go do something relaxing swim at your pool a nice sit down dinner maybe check out a hotel near by ( the deluxe are really cool) then head back to the park at night. I think the key is with 2 weeks you do not have to do it all at one time. I would also have a few down days in where you do not really plan a lot maybe the beach the pool sleep in.

when you are there make sure you do drink a lot of water throughout out the day.

Start each day at a park's open. Return to your hotel around 1 or 2pm. Swim, nap, relax before dinner. Have dinner and enjoy nighttime show and attractions at park of your choice. Sleep.

I always get parkhopper tickets which gives me tons of flexibility.

Start each day at a park's open. Return to your hotel around 1 or 2pm. Swim, nap, relax before dinner. Have dinner and enjoy nighttime show and attractions at park of your choice. Sleep.

I always get parkhopper tickets which gives me tons of flexibility.

This is how I would do a summer trip. Important, learn how to use the fastpass to your benefit.

Last edited:

Look at the price of 10 day tickets, it's probably not that much more. You might be better off going to the parks more often and not having to go commando because you want to get everthing done. Just an option. If you go for more days, you can spend less time there.

I think you already know 95% of what you need to do.. It's going to be hot, your going to do things slower, you can walk 10-20 miles per day.. Now plan your trip to ease into those miles, get ready at home and build up your stamina (and get through the pain before you are there). make sure your inside or doing a resort/pool break at the hottest time of day (roughly noon to 4pm). take breaks from the parks every few days or maybe only do them at night when the sun is down after you do somethign else the rest of the day...

You experienced the burn that most don't work into their plan, now just come up with a plan for when you noticed your traveling group needed a break and how much of a break.. slow it down you have 14 days..

If it was me, I would plan one - maybe two - off days to rest or do something else. I would much rather do a little bit everyday with decent breaks midday than go-go-go on the days I was there, in the middle of the summer heat.

First thing I would consider is how you will getting to the parks. Disney on site transportation is great, but many off site hotels off shuttle service too. The key word there is shuttle service, learn what the hotel means by that as some off site hotels mean they take you to the TTC in the morning and return you at night, they don't run every 30 minutes. Nicer hotels will offer more shuttles, but know what you get before you book. This is key if you want to take an afternoon off and return after dark when it is cooler.

Summer in Orlando is a sauna with a daily afternoon rain storm, and the weather changes every mile. Magic Kingdom may have a drenching thunder storm and Animal Kingdom is totally fine. Even if you are staying off site you can visit Disney resorts for a sit down lunch or even just to rest in the air conditioned lobbies. Consider leaving MK at 2:00 (busiest and hottest times) to visit the Poly on the monorail, or leave Hollywood Studios and eat on the Boardwalk.

As @kandb said, look at a 10 day price verses 5 or six days. You may enjoy the parks more if you don't try to do everything all in one day. For all the trips we have taken to WDW I have never said I was bored or wanted to go anywhere with the exception of Universal and Sea World. I believe you can extend your park tickets if you decide to before you use the last day if you change your mind (I'm not certain, I usually get AP now).

Train to walk; A treadmill is ok, but 10 miles in WDW feels like 20 because of the stop and go crowds, standing in lines, and hills and curves. Break in your shoes (at least 2-3 pairs of good sneakers or walking shoes) and pack extra socks as you feet will get wet from rain and sweat. It may sound gross, but I have packed and extra pair and changed my socks mid day. Put baby powder of corn starch in your shoes to absorb moisture. On the subject of moisture, look into buying something called BodyGlide, heat rash ruins vacations. On the medical side, check all drugs you take, even if they aren't prescription. Some will dehydrate you more quickly, others may have adverse reactions to the sun. The Florida sun can burn your skin much times faster than you think, and it will dehydrate you.

Keep this in mind: drink before you get thirsty, eat before you get hungry, sit before you get tired.

You have a year and a half to get in shape.start walking more get in more steps. Try to get up to 30k a day. When you go to wdw it will be nothing.

You have a year and a half to get in shape.start walking more get in more steps. Try to get up to 30k a day. When you go to wdw it will be nothing.

this is great advice although 14 miles a day can be interesting to find the time as suggested. I find doing about 3-5 miles a few times a week to keep me ready for disney and if I haven't been keeping up then I'll feel it but generally after 2-3 walks I'm back where I need to be (but sore getting back to it those 2-3 walks). I need to also mention I'm a local so there's a great chance 1 or more of those are at a theme park. many of them are not and I'm just walking around the town but some of them are.

note: I also find your body craves it so it's really the first couple times you go out that is more or a challenge to get yourself to start and the rest you'll want to keep it up.

We did six days straight at WDW on our last trip. My advice is to break the days up and have rest days in between.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter