How Private is the Navigator Verandah?

Brumbie13

Mr. Mickeybars
I've seen several people talking about one of the benefits of the navigator's verandah being that it is more private than a traditional verandah.

I understand why, and that's one of the draws of the navigator verandah for me. Another being that I talked to several people on board who said that cigarette smoke from neighbours made their verandah unenjoyable.

Knowing that the navigator verandah was more private and less likely to catch smoke coming downwind, and also cheaper, I recently booked a navigator verandah room.

But after seeing some pictures, I'm not exactly sure it's a private or smokeless as I originally thought. It seems like one side, the side with the bench on it, is solid, but the other side isn't always solid.

Here are two pictures I found that shows that the navigator verandah doesn't have the solid sidewalls I thought it did:
DCLCruise2010-1695_edited-1.jpg

cat75.jpg

But then, I found a picture where that other side does seem to be solid:
5394696436_2d5ceccefd_b.jpg

Is there a pattern, or a way to know which rooms have completely sealed off sidewalls on the navigator verandahs?

This is on the Wonder, and we're currently booked for 2013 in room 7622.

The first two pictures are on the Magic and the last one is on the Wonder, so maybe the ones on the Wonder are sealed off? :confused3 We had connecting Navigator veranda's on our last cruise on the Magic and I don't remember it being an "issue". I did like the cozy feel of the Navigator and I have the same two cabins (just the opposite side of the ship) booked for our Mediterranean cruise.

I'm hoping you're right, since we're going on the Wonder.

Hopefully some more people can confirm. :)

We had a navigators verandah on the Wonder and there is enough of a gap between the walls that if somebody was rude enough to want to peer through they could.

And if the wind is blowing just right, if DCL keeps allowing smoking on the verandahs it could blow onto your. We have been very lucky in that we have never had that happen on any of the verandahs we have stayed on.

Thanks. I realize that smoke can get in, I just hope to avoid it as much as possible.
My two options for avoiding it are to get a cabin as far forward as possible, or to get the navigator verandah.

Due to the cost savings, we went for the NV.

The Magic has round opening in the NV's and the Wonder has oval openings...not it makes much difference...just pointing it out.

MJ

The Magic has round opening in the NV's and the Wonder has oval openings...not it makes much difference...just pointing it out.

MJ

AH-HA! Thank you! You just solved a curiosity from another post! I had posted a photo of our NV (oval) and someone else posted a pic of theirs (round) and I was not aware that the openings were different. I thought all NV had the oval opening. Now know why there was the difference. Thank you! :goodvibes

- Dreams

Thanks. I realize that smoke can get in, I just hope to avoid it as much as possible.
My two options for avoiding it are to get a cabin as far forward as possible, or to get the navigator verandah.

Due to the cost savings, we went for the NV.

When out on your verandah you won't have to worry about smoke from your neighbors on the left, that would be us. :upsidedow

Let's put it this way, I would not do anything on a NV that I would not want the people next door to see if they so chose.

Here's a shot of the left wall of our NV on our first cruise on the Wonder.

IMG_3296.jpg

If you look at the panel with the map and the corner panel, you can see they don't meet. There was definitely a gap.

HTH,
Dreams

Thanks for clarifying! And I'm glad we're next door to you jilljill! It's fun being close to people you "know" on the ship.

There won't be any smoke coming from your immediate right either. :goodvibes

I guess I don't have to worry about any coming downwind from the two on my left. Good news :thumbsup2

When out on your verandah you won't have to worry about smoke from your neighbors on the left, that would be us. :upsidedow

Thanks for clarifying! And I'm glad we're next door to you jilljill! It's fun being close to people you "know" on the ship.

There won't be any smoke coming from your immediate right either. :goodvibes

I guess I don't have to worry about any coming downwind from the two on my left. Good news :thumbsup2

This is too funny. Brumbie, looks like you are safe. :thumbsup2

I think the NVs on the Wonder must vary by deck, then. The only way I could see my husband and the two kids in his cabin was by sticking our heads over the balcony. There was absolutely no gap between the two balconies ( nor with our neighbour in 5136). Completely private.

That's so strange, we were on the Magic in Nov, can't remember the room right now, but deck 7 aft and we had no gaps in either walls of our NV.

I echo prior posts - we've had NV's on the Wonder (love them) and have never had any gaps in the side walls. We've always been on Deck 5. Perhaps the higher decks have gaps.

I was deck 5 on the wonder as well and we had no gaps. We knew a DIS'er 2 cabins down and if we saw arms hanging over (only if we were hanging out) then we'd say hello. But you really have to stick your neck out. We loved the privacy!!

With navigators if the magic is a "circle", does that mean only one person can look out at once?????

Also trying to find out what deck any of the verandah staterooms start from please - is it deck 4 or 5?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest