• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Often Do You Shampoo Your Hair UPDATE #49

I wash my hair everyday. My hair is disgusting if I don't. I rarely condition. I used to a lot more.

I just read a comment yesterday from Ken Paves (he's a celebrity hairstylist -- he's Jessica Simpson's sidekick/business partner/whatever) and he said women should wash their hair no more than 2-3 times per month, but rinse and condition it every day. :confused3

I don't think I could go that long between washes! And I always figured with all the product that they must use for photo shoots that celebrities/models washed their hair at least once a day.

I have thick, frizzy, curly big hair
I shampoo mine about every three days. Sometimes I don't shampoo -I just wet and condition.
It never looks greasy or dirty.
I seriously never knew you weren't supposed to wash your hair everyday. I just figured that when you take a shower, you wash your hair. You would think that my hairdresser would have told me this at some point. It's probably why my hair is so dry. I have thick, curly/frizzy hair too. And in the morning, my hair is a rats nest. I just don't know how I would get through that rats nest without shampooing first. I'm gonna give it a try in the morning though.

I just read a comment yesterday from Ken Paves (he's a celebrity hairstylist -- he's Jessica Simpson's sidekick/business partner/whatever) and he said women should wash their hair no more than 2-3 times per month, but rinse and condition it every day. :confused3

I don't think I could go that long between washes! And I always figured with all the product that they must use for photo shoots that celebrities/models washed their hair at least once a day.

The rinse and condition part is key. In my experience unless you have REALLY oily hair you'll be amazed at what changing one of your shampoo days to a conditioner only day will do. Your hair will still be clean if you work through it the same as you with shampoo and your hair will also be healthier.

I was also reading in Marie-Claire or Allure like a year ago :rolleyes1 (an article on why European style habits are healthier than American) that while you can shower every day, unless your really dirty/sweaty that using soap every day (even Dove or other moisturizing brands) is bad for your skin and part of why we all have such dry/sensitive skin.

The rinse and condition part is key. In my experience unless you have REALLY oily hair you'll be amazed at what changing one of your shampoo days to a conditioner only day will do. Your hair will still be clean if you work through it the same as you with shampoo and your hair will also be healthier.

I was also reading in Marie-Claire or Allure like a year ago :rolleyes1 (an article on why European style habits are healthier than American) that while you can shower every day, unless your really dirty/sweaty that using soap every day (even Dove or other moisturizing brands) is bad for your skin and part of why we all have such dry/sensitive skin.

Oh no, I soap up with Ivory Bar Soap everyday too, that's probably why my skin is so dry too. I recently tried switching to Aveno liquid and it doesn't make me feel as clean as Ivory.

Getting back to my OP I went from Late Friday Afternoon which is when I had my hair done in Boston, wraping my hair in a towel in the shower everyday, until yesterday mid day I couldn't stand the way my hair felt anymore. It did look really good not frizzy at all it just felt oily, although my DH said it still looked great. I felt so clean after that shampoo, I seriously don't know if I can go that long again without shampoo, I love the stuff!

Maybe I'll try the Simpson celebrity suggestion, just condition in the shower and see how that goes. The stylist did mention to use good products as well and I told her I've been using Bumble & Bumble recently and she said that was good. I switch around though.
I love reading everyones comments on their hair!

Usually every day, or it just feels gross to me. However, having curly hair, I know it's best to wash it every other day, (or every 2 days, so I've been told), but I just can't do that on a regular basis!!

Ok I didn't read all the posts but I hope I am not the only one who has gone "no poo" meaning I don't use shampoo. I do however rinse it and condition every day (I guess that would be the celebrity hairstylist's method mentioned above) I have curly, dry frizzy hair that tends to be more dried out/frizzier (is that a word?) after I used shampoo. I also use a leave in conditioner (I once was told by a co worker that I didn't want to do that because it would weigh my hair done - she didn't realize that is exactly what my hair needs)

I have been "no poo" for at least a year and I have not had any feelings of dirty hair and actually my hair looks alot better.

Well I'm 45 have short hair with lots of grey and I don't colour it, as you can see in my sig pics.

At the moment my hair is still soft and hasn't gone brittle or wirery (sp!) amd I wash it everyday in the shower with Head & Shoulders and I don't use conditioner either :scared1:

I have thick/dryish hair. I wash and condition everyday. I shower everyday, and therefore I Wash and condition each day. I have too, I just don't feel right if I didn't:confused3
My husband and sons hair looks oily if they don't shampoo each day, Ive never had oily hair in my life.

Ivory Bar Soap?!!!!! OMG! There is nothing worse for your skin!

Sweetie, you NEED to find something else!!!

Every other day....more than that and my scalp itches.

My salon uses B&B too and I love it....anywhere you can get it cheaper? or is there a knock-off that works as well?

I usually shampoo every two to three days. My hair gets too dried out if I shampoo every day. I have fine hair, but a lot of it, and it's wavy, hence the dryness. I have really dry skin too, so I don't use any bar soaps except for French milk soap.

Ivory Bar Soap?!!!!! OMG! There is nothing worse for your skin!

Sweetie, you NEED to find something else!!!

I had no idea, I've tried Dove, Oil of Olay, Coast, etc but they don't feel as good as Ivory. What do you recommend?

Ok I didn't read all the posts but I hope I am not the only one who has gone "no poo" meaning I don't use shampoo. I do however rinse it and condition every day (I guess that would be the celebrity hairstylist's method mentioned above) I have curly, dry frizzy hair that tends to be more dried out/frizzier (is that a word?) after I used shampoo. I also use a leave in conditioner (I once was told by a co worker that I didn't want to do that because it would weigh my hair done - she didn't realize that is exactly what my hair needs)

I have been "no poo" for at least a year and I have not had any feelings of dirty hair and actually my hair looks alot better.

I follow a modified "low-poo" routine-I wash about 1x a week with a sulfate-free shampoo. I wet and "water wash" or
"conditioner wash," then condition the length 6x a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter