How Many Snack Credits are Left?! 11 Nights of Free Dining! *COMPLETED 31 JULY*

Day 3 (part 2)

This evening we were supposed to go to Bongos, a place that I have always wanted to try (I was a big Gloria Estefan fan back in the day!). However, about 2 months before we travelled I became aware of the Star Wars fireworks . . . JC is a HUGE Star Wars fan so I was determined that we would see these. The times for them weren’t published but in anticipation for them being around 9pm I moved Bongo’s forward to 6pm to hopefully give us time to do both. When the times were finally published, just two weeks before we left, I nearly had a heart attack to see that the fireworks would be at 7.45pm – what an inconvenient time! So I decided to move the meal to inside DHS if I could get an ADR. At the same time I was reading a Disney “fact” book which told me that memorabilia from The Rocketeer was on Display in Sci-Fi Dine in. This is one of JCs all-time favourite films! It seemed like fate! So after checking about 6 times an hour for days I finally managed to get an ADR there for 5.45pm – perfect! I had never had an interest in Sci Fi, but was quite excited about trying somewhere new so managed to not be too disappointed about Bongos.

Move forward 2 weeks to the night of the meal . . . this was the Wednesday night and Hurricane Matthew was due on the Friday so the weather was “interesting”. We sat on the Disney Bus on our way to DHS and the sky opened – torrential, I cannot see through the bus windows, type of rain. As we approached DHS I asked JC to get the ponchos out of the bag . . . they weren’t there! (Hours later, back in the room there they sat on the bed). If you’ve ever got off a bus at DHS in the rain you will be aware, as we are now, that there is NO shelter. We sort of sprinted / sort of dejectedly walked to security – where there is also barely any shelter – before we could get to the first shop and buy some more ponchos. By then we were soaked to the skin. All this preamble is to explain to you that by the time we finally got to Sci-Fi we were already miserable and grouchy!

The waiting area in Sci-Fi was extremely small and extremely busy. We checked in and were told that there was a “bit of a wait” and that the rest rooms were closed due to an “issue” (the mind boggles). After a few minutes the restrooms reopened so we both went to try and dry off. Annoyingly there were paper towels rather than hand dryers so this wasn’t much use. After asking twice how long a table would be we were finally seated 40 minutes after our ADR time. By now our moods were dire.

I’m just going to get the rest of my rant out of the way and then move on to the actual food – we hated how dark this place was, so dark you could barely read the menus or see the food, we hated sitting with other people who could hear your whole conversation (in our case just a lot of complaining), our server was a lovely man but impossibly slow, and the annoying movie clips on repeat drove us insane. And sitting in soaking wet clothes was not fun (I don’t blame the restaurant for this last part)! I also asked the waiter where the Rocketeer memorabilia was and was told that there wasn’t any – grrrrr (FYI to any fellow fans, there is some in Peevy’s Polar Pipeline, around the lake, which we found a few days later - hurrah)!!!

On to the food! I ordered the build your own angus burger, and I choose cheddar cheese, bacon and caramelized onion to go on it. This is the picture taken with a flash- yes, that’s how dark the restaurant was inside. This was pretty nice – I probably could have done without the onion in hindsight as it made it a bit sickly, but it was a good, standard burger. The fries were chunky and good. This was nothing amazing but it felt so nice to get some hot food in me as I was freezing from the aircon / wet clothes combo.

View attachment 204399
JC had the Flame-broiled New York Strip Steak topped with Garlic-Herb Butter and served with Cheesy-Horseradish Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, and crispy Onion Rings. He was pretty grouchy by then so I did not dare ask to take a photo! He enjoyed the steak, although it was not as good as the one the night before from Trattoria al Forna. The potatoes were OK. He thought the vegetables were far too hard (I tried them and actually liked them as I prefer my vegetables al dente).

For dessert I ordered the house-made Sci-Fi Candy Bar (White and Dark Chocolate Mousse layered with crispy Pearls sandwiched between Sponge Cake and dipped in Chocolate Gananche. I didn’t like it at all and I don’t often meet a dessert that I can’t find something good about. It was just completely tasteless (even the chocolate), too cold, and the sponge cake didn’t seem to work with the mousse. I left half of it as it wsn't worth the calories. JC ordered the brownie and confirmed that this was my greatest bugbear –it was in fact just chocolate cake cut into a square and called a brownie. I hate it when places do that!! There is a great difference between chocolate cake and brownies! He ate a bite of that and a bite of my dessert and confirmed that mine was the best of the two – yikes. Its pretty rare for us two to leave desserts – I think this might have been a first.

We then had to wait absolutely ages for the bill – we made the fireworks with just a few minutes to spare . . . when an announcement was made that due to the weather they may be cancelled. At that point I almost cried as this whole thing had been to see them. In the end they did a reduced show – the lasers and the videos on the theatre went ahead, but we had only a couple of fireworks as the wind was quite strong by then. What we had was good though and I can’t wait to see them properly next year . . . though I will definitely choose somewhere else to eat!

All in all, this is a never repeat for us, I’m sure its quite fun but its jut not our cup of tea. I’m just so glad we didn’t have to pay – the bill would have been $73 including soft drinks.

Coming up next . . . Backlot Express and House of Blu . . . oh no, no, Good to Go food court instead – darn you hurricane!!
We've never tried sci fi and your review makes me happy we haven't

I’m just going to get the rest of my rant out of the way and then move on to the actual food – we hated how dark this place was, so dark you could barely read the menus or see the food, we hated sitting with other people who could hear your whole conversation (in our case just a lot of complaining), our server was a lovely man but impossibly slow, and the annoying movie clips on repeat drove us insane.
My family ate at Sci-Fi in 2010. I can't remember much about the food, but I think it was just OK. Nobody complained, but nobody raved about it either. I had the same complaints as you. Way too dark, the movie clips on repeat get stale after a while, and the seating arrangement is weird. I understand why it's that way, with the theme of the restaurant, but it's just not my thing.

My family ate at Sci-Fi in 2010. I can't remember much about the food, but I think it was just OK. Nobody complained, but nobody raved about it either. I had the same complaints as you. Way too dark, the movie clips on repeat get stale after a while, and the seating arrangement is weird. I understand why it's that way, with the theme of the restaurant, but it's just not my thing.

I've eaten there a couple of times. I'm glad I did. It's a cool experience to do at least once. The darkness doesn't bother me, because of the theme. I like the movie clips, but they need a longer loop. I don't think I was there an inordinate amount of time, no longer than an average meal, and I saw those clips several times. The food isn't bad. It's not life-changing or anything, but it isn't bad. Then again, I haven't been there in several years.

Day 4 and 5

Hi all! Welcome new readers, and thank you for all the comments so far! Winter has really hit here and I am missing Florida hugely.:sad:

I can cover days 4 and 5 in one post as it was all counter service because this is when Hurricane Matthew hit.

After a small breakfast in the room, we headed to Starring Rolls because I was dying for JC to see the cupcakes. Well you cant just “see” a cupcake can you?! :rolleyes1So we got a red velvet to share.
IMG_0076.JPG

It was so good. I love red velvet. The cake part was moist and rich and the frosting was divine! Creamy, thick ... ohh man I would eat that right now. There was so much frosting that half a cupcake was enough.

Cost would have been $5.59

Lunchtime I was ready to win girlfriend of the year award!!! I had done my research and I proudly led us to Backlot Express where we could partake in a Star Wars themed meal! We ordered to share the Royal Guard Burger (1/3 lb Angus Beef Burger, Barbecued Brisket, Pepper Jack served with French Fries) and Dark Side Chicken and Waffles (Chicken and Vader Waffles with Maple Syrup ).

The waffles were verging on being a little cool . . . this may be because I drowned mine in maple syrup though (JC didn’t want any, hurrah!). We both thought they were fluffy and light though and loved the darth vadar faces in them. The chicken nuggets were excellent as ever – hot and crispy. Disney can’t put a foot wrong with me where their nuggets are concerned! And a generous sized portion!
IMG_0081.JPG

The burger was good – there was so much filling with the beefburger, the BBQ brisket and the cheese! You’ll be pleased to know that the black bun tasted perfectly normal and was very fresh – Disney have definitely improved their bread recently. I don’t think I ate many of the fries – they were fine though, I just had to prioritise that chicken!

I would happily order either of these things again and – with the lack of good food in DHS – probably will go there again next year.
IMG_0080.JPG
I took a photo of one of the drinks which makes me think it was something special . . . so much for my memory. I think that it was some kind of slushy punch – I cannot remember though so if anyone can spread any light on this then feel free!
IMG_0085.JPG

We ordered two cupcakes as desserts, which we were too full to eat so a kind cast member went and got us a container for them. This was much appreciated the next day when we were under curfew in the room and tucking into them!

We went for the BB-8 Lemon Cupcake with Vanilla Buttercream and the Darth Vader Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Buttercream.
IMG_0082.JPG

The BB-8 lemon cupcake was disappointing – it was fairly moist but the lemon was extremely artificial tasting. I don’t think there was much real lemon involved in the recipe! I love lemon drizzle cake so felt quite let down by this. Luckily darth vadar and his scrummy peanut butter tummy more than made up for this! Rich chocolate sponge with the flavour of peanut butter – oh year. And darth was made of dark chocolate which is my favourite. This was a huge win!

Cost of the meal should have been $43.04

A room curfew was placed across Orlando from (I think) 5pm that evening; we got back to the hotel around 3pm and it was pandemonium. An hour long line for counter service (Good to Go) and a 20 minute line in the shop for essentials such as milk. To make things worse the counter service is outside with no cover so we were all outside for an hour in the rain waiting – it wasn’t great and they have seriously got to look at the lack of weather shelter in this area. Some people were ordering crazy amount of meals to take away to stock up in their room in case the curfew went on for longer than expected which seemed really unfair on the overworked staff who were desperate to serve everyone and get home themselves and the mile of people anxious to get back to their hotel rooms. Eventually we got to the front and just ordered one meal each for that evening, figuring we had bagels, cake and cereal in the room to get us through the next day.

Believe it or not I didn’t fancy a second order of nuggets in one day – personal growth, right?! So I ordered the Caribbean Jerk Chicken Rice Bowl. I wasn’t exactly in the mood to enjoy it as by then panic had set in, but it was actually good and tasty, and felt vaguely healthy compared to what else I had been eating. JC went for the angus cheeseburger again which he thought was really good. We also got a cheese Danish for the next morning (amazing – we have GOT to get cheese danishes in England); some strawberries (nice and fresh), and a chocolate chip cookie. (I don’t think he shared so can’t review it!)
IMG_0089.JPG

Cost would have been $33.55

The next day the curfew was finally lifted at 2pm . . . We had a ADR at Narcoossees that evening but nobody could tell us whether the restaurant would be open or not. We also would have struggled to get there on time as Disney buses didn’t start running again until 6.30pm and we didn’t have a car. In the end the ADR line rescheduled us for Sunday night so we decided to head to Disney Springs, as this was the only place open. We got on the very first bus available hoping that we would beat he crowds – NOPE! I have NEVER seen so many people queuing for restaurants. The line for T-Rex was 300 people deep and other places weren’t much better. We walked from one end to the other and eventually ended up at a counter service I had never heard of – Poutine. Its basically a fries stand with different toppings. . . its an absolutely terrible waste of a counter service as there are no desserts available, but by then we just didn’t care – it was just nice to get out of the room. This is the menu in case you haven’t heard of it either.
IMG_0101.JPG

We were at the front of the line in 15-20 minutes and the food took about another 5 minutes. We both ordered the same thing – Italian – French fries with mozzarella and Bolognese sauce. The servers were really friendly and polite and we managed to find a bit of wall to sit on whilst eating! Things were looking up!
IMG_0102.JPG

This was nice. It wouldn’t ever win any awards, but it was hot and fresh and just what was needed at that minute after being cooped up all day. The fries were nice and chunky and there was a good amount of cheese. JC loved the watermelon lemonade that they do. I think I had a full sugar coke – I was living on the edge!

Cost would have been $25.16

Up next. . .The Wave breakfast, Cheesecake Factory lunch, and Captain Grill dinner!

Aren't Disney chicken nuggets the best?? It's the only time I eat them!
I was sitting home in NY reading all the reports of the curfew, and all the mayhem at the resort food courts during the hurricane. I would have been nervous and I know I certainly wouldn't have liked being cooped up in my room, but it sounds like it wasn't too bad for you guys.
Poutine does nothing for me but as you said, just finding something decent and being out of the room was probably most welcome!

I'm reading along. I was there after the Hurricane Oct 12-21. I was disappointed with Sci-Fi too. We had a better experience our first time, but I was annoyed with it this time. You sound like you are making the best of it. Looking forward to the rest.

Joining in a bit late! I left WDW the Monday before the Hurricane so certainly sympathize. I felt lucky to be flying out when I did & that was strange because I'm usually sad to be leaving.

I usually love the atmosphere at Sci-Fi but this trip had a pushy server who basically pushed me right on out after my quick 20 minute beer break. I booked my ADR for an off time of 2:30pm so not to take up a seat during the meal rush & mess up a good tip situation. I guess there is no off time at Sci-Fi anymore. I'd love to eat a full meal at Sci-Fi but not in love with their menu & food quality right now.

Thank you for your Star Wars meal pics from Backlot Express. I meant to try one of these tasty treats but got caught up with a Mama Melrose Fantasmic lunch pkg. Which was incredible!

I am so sorry for the delay! Its been budget setting season at work which is crazy time! However – if anyone is left! – I’m back and ready to pick up the reviews.

Day 6

Our first day post hurricane so we woke very excited! We were booked to go to Kona Café for breakfast as I wanted the macadamia nut pancakes for the first time in about 7 years. I could not wait! We arrived at MK 45 minutes before our ADR so I suggested that we walk to the Contemporary for a look around as we didn’t have any meals booked there and then get the monorail over to the Poly. So with 15 minutes to spare before our ADR we were happily aboard the monorail and zooming towards the Poly . . . then the monorail stopped . . . and we sat there . . . and sat there. Then it started reversing back towards the Contemporary where we were asked to get off as there was a monorail stuck at the Poly! Arghhh!!!! We were literally stranded as there was no other way to get there in time.

This was our outlet mall shopping day and I wasn’t having my shopping schedule messed with for anything!! So we marched into The Wave where I had eaten dinner years before and asked if they had a table, which they did, and they also said they would sort our cancellation out with Kona so we didn’t get the $10 cancellation fee. There was the option or a buffet or a table service – ordinarily we might have gone buffet (especially as we went for a look after and most of the menu seemed to be on it) but sometimes you just want a bit of looking after so we went table service. We had the most lovely server, so friendly and helpful and timed everything perfectly.

There was only one menu option for me – in the absence of my beloved macadamia nut pancakes I substituted them for the Wave Signature Sweet Potato Pancakes with honey-pecan butter and bacon. I also had a cranberry juice and a cup of tea – can anyone of earth get through a morning without these two things cos I know I can’t!! The portion was huge – 4 pancakes plus the bacon! I think I managed 3 of them. Oh my goodness the were so good!!!!! Sweet and light and the butter was amazing. It’s been so long since I had the macadamia ones that I cant really say if they were better or not, but I certainly was not disappointed!
sonya.jpg
JC had the Eggs Benedict - two poached eggs atop an English muffin with Canadian Bacon and key lime hollandaise, with orange juice and a coffee (arming himself for shopping day!!). He really enjoyed it – the eggs especially were the perfect consistency – all lovely and runny! I tried the potatoes and they were good and flavoursome.
james.jpg
We loved it here, so much so that we are planning on dinner here next year – friendly helpful staff and good food. It was only about a third full when we arrived so it’s a handy place to go if you want a more chilled start before the parks open.

Saving due to free DDP - $38

Up next – Captain’s Grill.

Have a merry Christmas everyone!

Well I have been shockingly bad at completing this review - life (house move, new car, busy job!) have got in the way . . . I'm going to try and power through the remaining ones (which contain all the best places!) in the next few days, starting now!

Day 6 - dinner at Captain Grille.

For some reason I only took photo's of my food here and forgot about everyone else...how rude!

Entree - Pan-roasted Lamb Chops - mustard crust, stewed lentils, mint pesto and lamb reduction.
The lamb was OK- flavoursome, tender, and the stewed lentils were tasty and cooked well ( I love anything stewed!) but the taste of the two items just didn't go together for me so I ended up eating them seperately from each other. It was a bit of an odd combination.
captain grill 2.jpg
Dessert - we shared the Gianduja Chocolate Cake - hazelnut, salted caramel sauce and chocolate crispies and the Seasonal Fruit Cobbler with Toasted Oatmeal Streusel and Sour Cream Gelato. Both of these were just "meh" - a little bit flavourless. Definitely not worth the calories which in my opinion is the worst insult you can throw at a dessert!
Captain Grill.jpg
It was our first time eating here and I expect our last. This decision was made easier the next morning . . . we had left a 20% cash tip on the table (the server had been good - chatty and helpful). For some reason that I can't recall the next morning I requested an up to date print off of my room charges at the front desk. While I was scanning it I noticed a charge from Captains Grille the evening before - the server had added himself another 18% tip on to the bill after we had left! We had already scanned our magic bands to pay for the meal before we left and then left the cash to cover the tip. I was completely shocked by this - both by the absolute cheek of it and for the fact that my magic band could be charged when I wasn't even present! The front desk refunded it, and a lesson was learnt by us to always cross through the tip section on the check if leaving cash!!!

Cost of meal inclusing JCs steak would have been $81.50

Last edited:
Day 7 - Lunch at D-Luxe Burger

We proper love burgers so we could not wait to try this place!!

Just a note, burgers don't come with fries so you have to choose between either fries or a dessert if you are on the dining plan.

We decided to order two different burgers and split them - the El Diablo Burger (chorizo-and-signature-blend patty, fried banana peppers, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato,onion and chipotle mayonnaise) and the Southern Classic Burger - beef patty, topped with fried-green tomato, pimento cheese, lettuce, onion and bacon.

JC had fries to himself and I shared mine with @dznyacct - they come with a choice of dipping sauces.

All I can say is OMG - these were amazing. I'm going to throw it out there and say that we both think they are better than Beaches n Cream burgers - words I never thought I would say!

This is the Southern Classic - first of all it fulfilled one of my greatest wishes, to try a fried green tomato (I adore that film!); The burgers were big with plenty of filling, the meat felt like good quality, the buns were soft, it was well cooked. I could stuff this in my mouth again right now. Especially as I'm trying to eat healthy so have soup for lunch :-/

dlux.jpg

Next up was the El Diablo - equally good bun, equally stuffed full. I love chorizo (apart from the garlic breath after) and this didnt disappoint - however, I possibly wouldn't have this again just because the chorizo made me feel a bit greasy afterwards. It sort of syays with you for a while . . .

dlux 2.jpg

The restaurant is made to look fairly rustic which was cute. We were lucky and managed to score a table; there isn't masses of seating inside though and outside was hot so worth getting to this place early! Definitely a repeat place for us.

Meal cost would have been $40.54

Next up was Narcoossee's,another new restaurant for both of us and only signature meal of the trip. We were supposed to go here during the hurricane, so were really pleased that they managed to fit us in.

We adored the look and ambiance of the restaurant. We got there early so had a drink at the sunken bar area and then got led to our table which overlooked the castle - we were so happy!

We ordered the Butter-Poached Twin Main Lobster Tails - Brentwood corn souffle, malted popcorn sauce, jumbo asparagus, citrus gremolata and the Grass Fed Filet Mignon - Boniato- potato mash, broccollini, with red wine-oxtail reduction to share and the chef made us 2 plates of surf n turf so we got the same thing each, which we loved! The steak was melt in the mouth good, and the mash and broccoli were both tasty and cooked well. I had never had lobster before as I'm not a huge fan of shellfish but I really wanted to try it. JC absolutely adored it and wants to go there again next year just so he can have it again. I liked it - I wouldnt go as far as "love" but for shell fish it was nice. The star of the meal for me was the corn souffle - so good!!!!! Like a really light cornbread. I kept sneaking bits from JCs side of the dish when he wasnt looking. I can't remember what the crumbs on the asparagus were but I know that we were fighting over them!

narcossee.jpg
narcossee1.jpg

Between entree and dessert we went and stood out on the deck to watch Wishes with a glass of wine - it was so perfect :-)

I took charge of dessert ordering as there were two that I really wanted to try! I have never met a creme brule that I didn't like, so wanted me some Coconut and Chocolate Creme Brulee - Layered Coconut and Chocolate with Whipped Chantilly Cream and Toasted Coconut. But so many people had told me about the Almond-crusted Cheesecake with Lambert Cherry Sauce that I knew I had to try that too!

Both were amazing. Nothing annoys me more than when a creme brule is over burned but this wasn't and it had a nice, light taste of coconut. There was quite a lot of chocolate in the bottom which was a little sickly towards the end but thats the only slight negative. The cheesecake was also very good - JC devoured it.

narcossee 3.jpg
narcossee2.jpg

Cost of meal should have been $146 and we would return here in a heartbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter