How fast does Peter Pan Standby Build at park open?

DavidNYC

DIS Veteran
Helping cousins plan their trip. They got a PP fastpass but I'd rather they get to see the line. If you go right to PP at park open on a non-EMH day (this will be president's day weekend!) and head right to Pan, what would you expect the wait to be. Figure average walkers and not commandos so they'll be in the pre-opening pack, but not the front.

I figure if at 8:05-8:10 the line is in the 15-20 range, that'll be nice. If it truly gets to an hour that fast, I'll have them keep the FP.

When we went on a regular park opening day last week, by the time we rode SDMT (we were some of the first to ride) and walked over to PPF, the line was outside the queue. Head straight to it without pausing for anything at park opening and you should be able to walk on it. When we rode it on another opening day, we let people pass by us to enjoy the queue.

I agree with KathyNY76. We were just there in December. For the first 15-20 minutes, the standby line is fine. After that, you might get lucky and have it be good at 30 minutes after opening. What kills it is when the fast pass people start to show up. I would keep the fast pass (to get to do it twice), but be serious about getting back there and doing it first without the fast pass. I agree with you - the standby line is fun - just not for more than 15 minutes. Also - hope for rain - that always helps lines.

It's also a delicate balance. We booked it right over (not running but not dawdling) in May and the line was 5 mins but that meant we didn't get to go thru the whole line - the inside portion was roped off. By the time we were done it was a 20 min line and building fast. So you have to time your entry so the inside portion of the line is open but the line isn't too long. I would keep the FPs.

not to hijack, but does all this info generally stay the same for an EMH morning? does the line build that quickly still?

I would say yes about the EMH. We were there on a Tuesday morning and rode the ride twice before the line built (after the park opened, we didn't do EMH).

Edited to add - the first time we just walked through the standby line area. The second time the wait was around 10 minutes.

We did standby at rope drop on Thanksgiving morning and our wait was about 20 minutes. Perfect timing to get to enjoy the queue.

If they're interested in an alternate strategy, the line is generally much shorter in the evening. On our last visit (June), we found a posted wait time of 40 minutes at about 11 pm but there were really only about 10 people in line and the wait was less than 1 minute. We didn't get to see any of the interactive queue features though.

In November we went straight there at RD, but didn't run, just walked leisurely. We waited 15-20 minutes, but it moved consistently because no one was feeding from the FP line that early.

We are rarely at the front of the rope drop crowd. Even being more towards the back of the rope drop crowd, if we take a leisurely paced walk back there, with DD stopping for a quick pin trade here and there as we are walking down Main Street, it is usually 10 minutes or less. Most people are running to 7DMT or ETWB, or Space Mountain. If you stop to take a photo with a character or ride anything else first, you are looking at probably at least 20 minutes, and often closer to 30 or 40. I think it is usually okay for the first 10 minutes, but then it builds fast. By 20 minutes after rope drop it is often pretty long. I'm sure it is a combination of the people headed straight there, the people getting off 7DMT and heading straight to PP next, and the FP people starting to show up and use their FP which slows the regular line.

We are rarely at the front of the rope drop crowd. Even being more towards the back of the rope drop crowd, if we take a leisurely paced walk back there, with DD stopping for a quick pin trade here and there as we are walking down Main Street, it is usually 10 minutes or less. Most people are running to 7DMT or ETWB, or Space Mountain. If you stop to take a photo with a character or ride anything else first, you are looking at probably at least 20 minutes, and often closer to 30 or 40. I think it is usually okay for the first 10 minutes, but then it builds fast. By 20 minutes after rope drop it is often pretty long. I'm sure it is a combination of the people headed straight there, the people getting off 7DMT and heading straight to PP next, and the FP people starting to show up and use their FP which slows the regular line.

And the really low hourly throughput (the same throughput as Buzz Lightyear, and less than half that of 7DMT.)

We were usually near the front at rope drop but are not the fastest walkers so we would gradually fall behind as we made our way up Main Street. But we always walked on PP. The line does build quickly. I have seen 40 minutes at 9:30a for a medium busy day.

I think it will stay the same with the new Welcome Show at the Castle. I hope to test that soon.

easywdw just did a review of the new welcome show and talked about how and when to get into position to get to the various attractions after the Welcome show.

I was just thinking about this. On the 1st we had a PPO at BOG and so were the in first group on 7DMT. We got off at about 9am and went right to PP and 20 minutes was posted but it was really only about 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!