How do you determine if DDP is worth it?

Guilty of not reading through the posts. Forgive any repetition.

1)We did not look at what you can get ooh all that food is it too much? BUt rather is the food enough. We arent breakfast eaters (well we eat but we dont care to get up early enough to take time for real food..at home school mornings etc are dry ceareal granola etc and milk or juice). So 2 plan meals a day was good, and enough food.

2)How much will we spend with/without the plan. Plan cost for the family about 100 a nightX7 nights 700. I knew I didnt want to wait in lines for characters so We were definitely doing a couple of character meals for the interaction. So my family of 4 - 2 kids 2 adults, if I was very very careful nothing special lets share all the time, we could eat a cs for about $30 for the family. 7 days 2 character DINNERS tax tip all encluded probably around 100 each, then 12 cs at about 30 each would and the total was about 560. I could have brought that down more by sandwhiches whatever but lets face it I really didnt want to. So dining plan would cost an extra 140 for the week to have ts everyday. BUt we cant forget that more drinks would have had to be purchased if we had to share all those cs drinks wethere this was at the park or brought from home. This doesnt allow for any cool ice creams or whatever that you know the kids are going to beg for. also lets also forget that in the end but I didnt know it would work out this way to start with so couldnt figure it in deciding and it may not be allowed in the future sharing meant we covered all meals we were on site for for 8 days 9ts & 7 CS so 16 meals instead of 14 - all done within rules not trying to get away with kid for adult use, etc except the one time I got my son a hot dog but got myself kids to make up for it.

3) reading the boards complaints of too much food, well I guess but we didnt have a problem with it. Rarely threw out food but then we shared ALOT. and we did a lot of buffets. It didnt really figure into the equation. We got what we wanted and didnt order extras if we didnt....always took my deserts to the room if I couldnt eat them then though and not all of them got eaten. But most atleast got partially eaten. Cs's we tried to get a lot of fruit for deserts to help balance out the kids diets and them getting hungry at off times.

To me it was a no brainer for an extra 140 (if i stood my ground and got no extras) I didnt have to scrimp and we got to go to lots of character meals. Try new things - but honestly next trip we may try new restaurants but we wont be trying new things we always end up not liking it.

We did DDP in January. We wanted meals to be an experience as well as the parks, rather then just trying to find the cheapest place to eat - which would probably have been unhealthy as well. Also, with everything pre-paid, we could eat without worrying what things cost.

We figured it would be a perfect amount of food for us - one snack, one counter service and one table service a day....well it was WAY more than we needed, but it allowed us to share, and try new things.

After we purchased the plan, we looked at all the different restaurants we wanted to go to, including different buffets, character meals etc. We had all our meals planned so that we agreed on the restaurants, and got the most of our money.

counterservice didn't matter so much - there was only junk food available (except for Pinocchios in MK)
Table Service - we searched out the most expensive menu's we could - best meal was Wolfgang Pucks, where we got a sushi platter & pizza.
the snacks were good.

By the end though....man we were searching for good food! All we could find was junk, until we found pinocchio's - SALAD!!!

We used the DDP last October and it was well worth it.... I figured it all out and no matter how you look at it, I think you save....

Next time we go, 1 of my DS's is considered an adult (kinda funny cuz he is only 11) but we are still doing the dining Plan.... I don't think we would have tried so many different restaurants.......

Figuring in the difference in rate...the first time we ended up getting the dining with some discount I know now that shouldnt have happened but it did so there wasnt any difference in rate. The second time we went we werent able to get any discounts other than AAA. The discounts at a value or even a mod usually arent enough to be enough better than AAA to make that much difference but Yeah if there was a room disocunt available I'd have to think about it. THe current room discount for august/sept is available for use in packagaes including dining....maybe this will continue to be a trend. As well packages have been being offered with free ticket upgrades with small room discounts so that helps offset that difference too.

AHHHHH!!!!

I'm pulling my hair out on this one, so if anyone sees a 1/2 bald lady walking about MK in a couple weeks - that'd be me - Say HI, I might look like I have mange but I'm perfectly friendly :rotfl:

I signed myself, DD(12) and DS(9) up for the dining plan, & have our ADRs. Problem I'm having here is we'll be in a villa. Kitchenette has toaster, microwave, fridge. Everything we need for quick light meals when we're around the resort. I also don't like eating big meals when it's hot. popcorn::

So assuming we'd be eating light, all but one of our ADRs are breakfast or lunch meals and that one is HDDR, I'm thinking we'll save at least $100 by cancelling a few of the less desired meals, going with a wegoshop visit and chilling at the resort more.

My only doubt on my numbers pertains to snacks, drinks and light CS when in the parks. We'll use the free ice-water available as much as possible, but the kids will want mickey bars and dole whips.

Too much thinking.... time to commit. :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter