How dark is the top deck of the ship at night

teskak

DIS Veteran
Yes, wierd question, and it is not for planning any 'am anniversiarying' on the top deck.

More that DH is currently exploring his photography hobby of stars & the night sky.

Figured the night sailings would be fairly free from light pollution, and he gets to take photos of the northern hemisphere stars instead of our usual southern hemisphere.

I am not sure of all of the details, and that the movement of the vessel might interfere with the long exposures - but is it possible?

Or will he be arrested for being totally wierd? Are there any Dis Lawyers on the PCC, or can Pete / John bail us (him) out of the Mickey brig if needed?

He might be able to find a spot near the bow around the "Wide World of Sports Deck" (http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/deck10.htm) that would permit night sky photos. It would have to be the middle of the night because it is lit when in use. My greater concern is the movement of the ship but with luck he might get a few 15 to 20 second exposures that turn out.

Thanks!

Next question - would a passenger be allowed up there in the middle of the night? Or is it a quick trip to the Mickey Brig?

I've never heard of any time restrictions on visiting public areas of the ship. I'm sure the Captain would frown on loud activities during the night but I've never known any astro-photographer to make a lot of noise. They seem to be a very reserved bunch.

They discourage you from sleeping out on deck, but if you are being respectful and quite, it shouldn't be an issue.

Sadly, the Disney ships top decks are not as dark as I'd like for star gazing, but it's ok. Maybe you can ask the captain to stop the ship for a few minutes to take your photos. LOL.

I'd be more concerned about the wind!!! It is seriously like a low level hurricane up there at night!

They discourage you from sleeping out on deck, but if you are being respectful and quite, it shouldn't be an issue.

Just curious how Todd knows this.
Did you get caught sleeping on deck?

More that DH is currently exploring his photography hobby of stars & the night sky.

Figured the night sailings would be fairly free from light pollution, and he gets to take photos of the northern hemisphere stars instead of our usual southern hemisphere.

I am not sure of all of the details, and that the movement of the vessel might interfere with the long exposures - but is it possible?

Or will he be arrested for being totally wierd? Are there any Dis Lawyers on the PCC, or can Pete / John bail us (him) out of the Mickey brig if needed?

The light polution from the ship would interfere. Not to say you shouldn't try anyway but don't expect to get any great results.
Arrested? Naw, they've seen stranger things going on. Especially the last night when the teens stay up all night:eek:

It's not as dark up there as you might expect. The ship remains very well lit at night, probably to prevent folks from tripping, etc.

It is beautiful, especially when you can see other cruise ships in the distance (practically always), but it's also VERY WINDY.

It's not as dark up there as you might expect. The ship remains very well lit at night, probably to prevent folks from tripping, etc.

It is beautiful, especially when you can see other cruise ships in the distance (practically always), but it's also VERY WINDY.

I seem to recall them anchored (or traveling) rather close on Pirate Night. So they could see our fireworks.:goodvibes:goodvibes

I seem to recall them anchored (or traveling) rather close on Pirate Night. So they could see our fireworks.:goodvibes:goodvibes

It is also going to be very difficult to do slow exposures of anything that is not on the ship. If you are trying to take pictures of the skyline, you will run into problems of the ship rocking even though it is very subtle. Long exposures of fixed objects on the ship should be fine because they will be rocking with the camera. I opted for Hi ISO pictures last time at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter