Hong Kong DisneyLand trip report

Ben Power

Earning My Ears
I went to Hong Kong Disneyland or a full day in August, and wrote up some details about my trip for anyone looking to plan a trip!

Hong Kong Disneyland -- Park opened at 9:45 according to the website, but they let us in around 9:30. Not sure if the rides didn't open til 9:45, or what, but caught me off guard slightly. We took the subway to the park from downtown Hong Kong and it was very easy to do. You get off the train at the last stop, and you switch to a specific disney train with Mickey windows and different statues in the cars.

Rides:
1) Teacups - Same ride as in the US. Classic ride, but the teacups are VERY small and it was near impossible for 3 adults to fit.

2) Space Mountain was very similar to the rides in the US Parks, but it had all of the effects working and the ride mechanisms were very smooth. Great ride that we went on a few times throughout the day!

3) Toy Story Land - Not impressed with the rides that they had here (my little brother liked them) but the theming and overall appearance of the land is very cool. Really glad the DHS land will have all new rides.

4) Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - Weird that it is not in Toy Story land (makes sense to me) but its the same ride as in Tomorrowland at MK.

5) Mickey's Philharmagic - The theater was very nicely laid out, but everyone stopped in the middle of the theater so we all walked all the way around and came in from the other side to get better seats. Luckily it was entirely in English too!

6) Mystic Manor - Really cool ride with lots of special effects. All of them were working great and if the wait didn't get so long near the end of the day i would have loved to have ridden this again. Wish they had something else in this area but it was just this ride and a restaurant so it was kinda quick to walk through and not do much in.

7)Big Grizzly Mine Car - Nice rollercoaster that reminded me a lot of Big Thunder Mountain mixed with Mine train mixed with Expedition Everest. Have some parts that go backwards. Very smooth ride system, and lots of neat scenery. Kind of weird that they didn't theme this around a Movie/Characters and it was just about bears in general.

8)Jungle Cruise - Very disappointing ride. The guides spoke very poor english (they had 3 versions, English, Cantonese, and Mandarin) and they did not do any Puns at all. The commentary was all "Look at the baby elephants" and "don't stick your hands out of the boat". Hiring an employee who speaks fluent english would help tremendously and i am curious if the other version had puns and was more similar to the US version?

9)Small world - have a huge walk up to the ride with an area dedicated to just this ride. Can hear the song for a while leading up to it as well. Pretty much the same ride but the main difference is that in each of the "countries" they put disney characters in the ride. Had Woody in a western themed area, Aladdin and jasmine in morocco, the 3 Cabballeros in Mexico, etc. Some fit really well and were cool to see, but others seemed forced. Overall a nice addition and a way to make this ride more "modern" and tailored to little kids.

10) Winnie the Pooh - Did a fast pass for this because the standby line was over 60 minutes when nothing else had a line in the park...no idea why it was so long. The ride was good, but basically identical to at WDW.

Food:
1) had all of the big snack foods, Carmel Corn, Churro, Mickey Ice Cream Bar, and tried to get a dole whip, but the 1 place in the park that they were sold was out of them...huge disappointment.

2) Only have 2 table service meal places and they all had pretty long waits but we ate at the Corner Cafe (sponsored by Coke). Had pretty good food, and both western and Chinese options. Nothing amazing but the Rueben i ordered was a good sandwich. Cost about $15 per plate so nothing outrageous.

3) Had dinner at the Tomorrowland cafe where the only item of note was the "Baymax Burger" which was a crab patty one a rice bun with some sort of avocado mayo. My little brother got it and said it was really good.

Shows:

1) Lion King - This was (unfortunately) different than at DAK. The story was weak, and they had no acrobats in the show other than 1 lady being a bird. They did nothing with the meerkats and it seemed very short. The theater was full and was still a good production but i was going in with the high expectations of DAK, and it fell short. Show was in english with a few parts in cantonese, but they also had TV monitors with translations around the theater.

2) Flight of Fantasy Parade - Very short parade, about 10 minutes long. High quality floats, including some lesser popular ones in the US (Lilo and Stitch, Pooh), and some staples (princesses, Lion King, Mickey, Tinkerbell).

3) Character Meetings - They had Duffy right at the front of the park when we walked in and there was a wait to see him. They also had some meetings with princesses near the castle throughout the day. And we went to the main character meeting square which was 5 gazebos with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Pooh. One thing i noted was the awkwardness of Mickey/Minnie who were showing awkward amounts of PDA. Felt weird watching them walk into the are/leave and kept "kissing" each other and stuff (lasted probably 3 minutes).

4) Paint the Night parade - Great parade, and I assume very similar to the version at Disneyland in LA. Lots of floats, lasted around 25 minutes and was a great way to end the night. Left before the fireworks to beat some traffic to get on the subway back to downtown hong kong.

Great report! About the jungle cruise..I watched it last year and they did have 'jokes' in the english version. Also parade was about 20 minutes..it stopped for awhile and my kids got to dance in the parade, awesome!

Thanks for the summary which I will be helpful to planners. I will be posting a TR with pics soon - prob start later this week, from our trip from a couple of weeks ago. It was very quiet when we were there so mostly walk-ons for much of the mornings. My DH found it to be a bit of a small park with not enough rides but my adult DD and I enjoyed it though I agree they need more rides in some areas including Fantasyland. The detail in theming was as good as every other Disney Park we have visited and what I love most about Disney. With a poor exchange rate currently for Aussies we found most food options very expensive. Had some great tasting snacks though. The only big queues were for character M&G so we skipped those not having littlies with us.

Great trip report. Excited to be there in January for the first time. Never knew dole whips are available in hkdl. Can you specify the location it is available. Would love to have a Taste of the legendary snack.

If i remember correctly, it was on the menu at Jessie's snack roundup in ToyStory Land, but they were out. I might be mistaken on this as I cant find a menu on the website to confirm, but I know I saw it on the menu when I was there in August.

Good luck finding it, as I really hope it is in the park!

looks yummy, i will try it next time..the pizza cone is yummy too!

Thanks for your report.

I went a couple times over the summer and had a few experiences/thoughts to add.

I had a Jungle Cruise guide who told jokes and made the ride really fun, but there really is the make or break for the ride so I am sure that is frustrating.

Your assessment of Toy Story Land was spot on. I liked the RC Racer ride, but it wasn't really special aside from being a bit of a thrill. The theming was great and worth walking through.

I haven't been to WDW yet, but they changed DL's Small World...I'm not sure how long ago...to include the characters as well. It didn't bother me as much in HK, but I think that's because it doesn't have the nostalgia factor for me. I also think the ride is a bit shorter than the one in DL. I think the length of the ride in HK is preferable.

Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mine Car were two of my favorite experiences as well. From what I have read on the boards, those seem to be the most popular overall.

The first time I went, the local school hadn't let out for the summer and the longest line I remember seeing was 30-40 minutes. Most of the lines were between 5-20 though. When I went back in August I also saw wait times for Winnie-the-Pooh for 60-90 minutes. Really glad we got fast passes or we would have just skipped it.

I was really impressed by the Lion King show, but I haven't seen the one in AK. My friends who were with me had never been to any of the parks and were completely amazed by the quality and production value. After reading your comments, I am really excited to see the one in AK now. If you haven't seen that version, I would say it is worth watching as long as you keep your expectations in check.

We are hoping to go in May. Should we plan on two days or is one day plenty to see everything? If we go, we are planning to on the Monday or Tuesday after Golden Week.

Also, I just tried checking hotel availability and neither hotel has any dates available in April or May but plenty in February and March. Is this because they haven't released them yet or because they book up during those months?

they are not released yet... should be out soon and it should be till March 2017 , they had it the same last year ...

Thanks. I wish the website said that instead of just no availability. Started making me rethink the whole deal.

They are available to book now. We just booked two nights at the Hollywood for May. Also have 3 nights at the Hotel Sav to see Kowloon and Hong Kong. Then we go to Japan for a week and a half to see Osaka, Kyoto, Hakone, Tokyo, and TDR.

I know it's an older thread, but I am curious about the festival of the Lion King show. How is not having a story different from the show DAK? I have never discovered a story in DAK's version. That is one of the reasons I don't like the show in general is that to me it's just a highlight show with the songs for 20 minutes and then a 5 minutes medley. Well executed, but every time I see it, I always think: why is this show getting rave reviews?

I know it's an older thread, but I am curious about the festival of the Lion King show. How is not having a story different from the show DAK? I have never discovered a story in DAK's version. That is one of the reasons I don't like the show in general is that to me it's just a highlight show with the songs for 20 minutes and then a 5 minutes medley. Well executed, but every time I see it, I always think: why is this show getting rave reviews?

Maybe it was the language barrier or the generally shorter show, but I always leave the DAK version of the show impressed and left feeling very "blah". I had gone to Disney World about 2 months before this trip, so it was fresh in my mind, but all that being said, the HKDL version was still a good show!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter