Homeschool Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five In A Row has their own website under their name...books can be checked out at the library...the bigger library you have access to, the more books you can find. I had a few that I ordered from BAM, or B&N, but the Purple House Press has a few hard to find books too!!

You used to be able to buy the Five in a Row curriculum books from homeschool suppliers at a discounted rate. The place I use no longer carries them. :(

I would try e-bay. I'm sure there are plenty of former "rowers" who would be happy for a few extra bucks to spend on new curriculum. :thumbsup2

Sounds good to me! :) Welcome! :)

As a foster mom, I've had little ones tugging on my hem or hanging from my hip since the first day of homeschooling two years ago. I also ended up keeping my youngest son out the first year, and just homeschooled my oldest and my niece for kindergarten that year.
Having little projects or "work" for the younger ones has always worked for me. It depends on the child though, of course. My youngest wanted to be involved, but wasn't ready for true work. So projects worked best for him. Nothing fancy, sometimes it was as simple as dumping out a box of blocks and asking him to build the tallest tower that he could. If your 7 yo is reading on her own, you could have her read aloud sometimes, so that your 3 yo could sit and listen.
One of the coolest things (to me) about homeschooling, is that you can do your own thing. So, if my advice doesn't work, that's okay. Homeschooling has been just as much of a learning experience for me, as it has been for my boys. We ebb and flow, and change methods as needed. It's a challenge, but a fun one! ;)

Yes, I don't want anything too much for her, but just little things so she feels included. I know she is going to want to do something!LOL My 7yo does read to her all the time and she really enjoys it, so that is a good idea to have her read some of her things aloud. This is my first year, so I know it will be a learning experience for us all! Thanks!

Just started back to school today -- kinda rusty (longer break than normal) but I'm very happy to be back in a schedule. Last year was wackadoodle for various reasons, so I'm hoping this year is a bit steadier.

Anyone else back in it?

We started back 8/2. I think we are finally getting into the groove again. Things are starting to get a little smoother. Hope you are off to a great year!

It's amazing with so many boards and sub boards on the DIS that there is no Homeschooling Board?? I wish they would create one, it would be so much easier to have a General Chat thread for those of you that know each other so well and then a newbie thread for those of us that have just started.

Just started back to school today -- kinda rusty (longer break than normal) but I'm very happy to be back in a schedule. Last year was wackadoodle for various reasons, so I'm hoping this year is a bit steadier.

Anyone else back in it?

I had a year like that about 2 years ago...I altered my scheduling and it made a big difference! And yep...we are back too...actually this is our 6th week!!! A few more to go and we are on our first quarter break!!!!:yay:

Does anyone use or have used K12? I was thinking of purchasing the books. I can't afford the private school through K12 and the public school is not listed in NJ for K12.
Any and all opinions welcomed.

Thanks.

Does anyone use or have used K12? I was thinking of purchasing the books. I can't afford the private school through K12 and the public school is not listed in NJ for K12.
Any and all opinions welcomed.

Thanks.

I am using K12. We finished out 2nd grade with it and are now using 3rd. I am also doing it as homeschool. I can't afford the private school and even though the free public school option is here in TX, I strongly oppose TAKS and wouldn't do the public option anyway. I am very happy with their customer service and the materials. The only class I did not like was their history curriculum. I didn't feel it was appropriate for the age (too advanced for us) nor did I think it was what we should be learning at this age. So I am using an Abeka book for history. I let them know within the first 30 days that I didn't like it and their customer service was amazing! More than I expected from them. So far I am very pleased with the quality of the materials and the support. Especially for the price. Let me know if you need anything specific.

I am using K12. We finished out 2nd grade with it and are now using 3rd. I am also doing it as homeschool. I can't afford the private school and even though the free public school option is here in TX, I strongly oppose TAKS and wouldn't do the public option anyway. I am very happy with their customer service and the materials. The only class I did not like was their history curriculum. I didn't feel it was appropriate for the age (too advanced for us) nor did I think it was what we should be learning at this age. So I am using an Abeka book for history. I let them know within the first 30 days that I didn't like it and their customer service was amazing! More than I expected from them. So far I am very pleased with the quality of the materials and the support. Especially for the price. Let me know if you need anything specific.

That is great to hear, I am getting ready for the 3rd grade too, I was wondering about the history, glad to hear about it before I bought it. I will look in to Abeka. I was using Horizon but I want to try something different. Did you purchase the Teacher Asst.? Can I ask you how many courses you bought and which ones?

Thanks for the help.

The only class I did not like was their history curriculum. I didn't feel it was appropriate for the age (too advanced for us) nor did I think it was what we should be learning at this age.

This is exactly what we thought, too. I'm not one to believe that my children are uber-wunderkind, so the Code of Hammurabi in the 2nd grade was a bit much and I found myself saying, "Really?" a lot during the school year. We did use a virtual school which also played into our not-stellar experience with K12, but I don't know that I would buy the curriculum. Mind you, I'm all about history, my DDs LOVE exploring it, but it came across as a bit too elitist to me.

That is great to hear, I am getting ready for the 3rd grade too, I was wondering about the history, glad to hear about it before I bought it. I will look in to Abeka. I was using Horizon but I want to try something different. Did you purchase the Teacher Asst.? Can I ask you how many courses you bought and which ones?

Thanks for the help.

Not the pp you asked, but thought I would offer my .02. We are using Abeka. We did it for K and 2. Tried something else for 3 and went back to Abeka for 4th. I bought Handwriting, Science, History, Language, and Spelling (using Harcourt for Math). If you want to look at the books, Abeka does fairs a lot where you can go in and look at the books. (If you order at the fair they don't charge shipping).

This is exactly what we thought, too. I'm not one to believe that my children are uber-wunderkind, so the Code of Hammurabi in the 2nd grade was a bit much and I found myself saying, "Really?" a lot during the school year. We did use a virtual school which also played into our not-stellar experience with K12, but I don't know that I would buy the curriculum. Mind you, I'm all about history, my DDs LOVE exploring it, but it came across as a bit too elitist to me.

I'm with you on this.

In particular, your comment, "I'm not one to believe that my children are uber-wunderkind" really rings. Last night at football practice, a dad was talking to another mom. She currently homeschools; he used to. He went on and on and on and on about how brilliant his son is and how, when the boy went to public school, the teachers were completely dazzled with his superior intelligence and he tested higher than anyone in the state. (I may be embellishing just a bit but that's how I remember it...)

I think my kids are awesome, too. Don't we all? But I'd rather make my own opinions of people (and their kids) than have their opinions rammed down my throat.

I guess this really has nothing to do with h/sing in particular. I've just always approached h/sing as a way to give my kiddos an alternative form of a solid education, not necessarily the end-all, be-all of genius-hood. The Code of Hammurabi did seem a bit much for a 6yo. Making a miniature flooding Nile project -- well, that's another thing. :goodvibes

I did not buy the teacher asst for the Abeka history. I actually started out with the 1st grade history book because in our district they don't do history at all! Only Social Studies which was communities, factories etc. Studying the flag, George Washington etc has not been covered. The history book from Abeka is easy to make your own tests etc. So that is why I didn't order the teacher asst. I also recommend looking up one of their fairs so you can visually see the books. But like I said other than the History with K12 everything else has been great and that is what we'll keep using.

Thru K12 we are doing the LA, math and Science curriculums. I am using Abeka for History and I have a book called Handbook to reading that I am using from them. Anything else I want to pop in there I have just gotten off the internet. My total with the monthly K12 tuition, cost of materials etc is around $1000/yr. So I'm very pleased.

livndisney and adisneymama, Thank You so much for the information it helps a lot. Now i'll go through everything and figure out what to start getting. I am running late get the books. but I keep him on my DD's schedule who does go to school, it's just easier that way for me. She does start for another 2 1/2 weeks yet. My son loves learning but hates doing school. Some days he is all into it and others he will kick and scream:confused3 he confuses me at times:). I think I'm going to get him to do a pen pal to get him into writing. Does anyone do that?

Once again Thank you for all the Help.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter