"Homemade" Microwave Popcorn

Thank you! I always burn a bit when I make it on the stove in a pot. This is so much easier.

Thank you! I always burn a bit when I make it on the stove in a pot. This is so much easier.

Pro-tip from my husband the household popcorn maker (truth be told, we don't have a microwave, so my microwave popcorn bowl tip dates back to my college days), he uses coconut oil to pop the kernels in a pot on the stovetop. Apparently coconut oil is what they use for those cart style popcorn makers. All I know is that it tastes wonderful, has a high smoke point, and pops very cleanly, so there's less sticking and burning. He also just shakes the pot a few times, otherwise leaving it alone with the lid on top of it. We rarely have anything burn on us.

I have been making my own microwave popcorn for the past week. Just put 2T of popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch bag and fold the top over a couple of times (staple it if you want, but I don't). Microwave on high for about 2 minutes or until the popping stops. It works great!

I'm sure that many of you know this already but I was completely surprised by it! My Weight Watcher's leader shared the tip at last week's meeting. You can add a bit of oil to the bag before popping and spices/sale before or after. I like it because I can make 2-3 cups of popcorn (a single serving) and not have a whole big bag of the stuff around. Plus, it doesn't have that nasty microwave popcorn smell.

There not too many things worse for your colon than popcorn and nuts. Ask your WW Leader.

There not too many things worse for your colon than popcorn and nuts. Ask your WW Leader.

Nuts are very good for you and popcorn is high in fiber. If it's just air popped it's fine.

Hot dogs and nitrate processed lunch meat are really bad for your colon. (but I eat 'em anyway)

Thanks for the coconut oil tip! I always use a bit of veggie oil and shake it a lot. I will have to try that. I don't burn much but it's always a little bit at the bottom.

What are you talking about? Last time I had the occasion to talk to a gastroenterologist, concerning a case of diverticulitis which is about as sensitive a gut as you can get, it was their considered opinion that the classic ban on seeds, nuts, and popcorn for people suffering from the condition was an old wives tale. PubMed backs him up in his assessment: there's no evidence you need to avoid popcorn, nuts, or seeds even if you suffer from itty bitty food snagging pouches in your guts that are prone to agonizing infections. The rest of us benefit enormously from the fiber. I'll take the doc's word over the WW leader's.

(The dentist and orthodontist, on the other hand, hate popcorn. They're the devil for fillings, and no great shakes for other dental appliances. Oh well, you can't win them all.)

I might try this.

Only issue I see is with the bowl you use. Even if it says microwave safe, if you put oil in it, the small amount would heat very quickly and could melt plastic. I would probably try glass or something like Corelle with an inverted plate over top.

Are you sure you can staple it? I know it's a small amount but it's still metal in the microwave

You CAN put metal in the microwave. I would never have done it but I took a class at a cullinary school and they had us put a metal bowl in the microwave.

You CAN put metal in the microwave. I would never have done it but I took a class at a cullinary school and they had us put a metal bowl in the microwave.
And if you defrost meat in the microwave, the directions say to cover the ends with aluminum foil to prevent drying them out.

Great! We will be trying this soon!

Re: The metal in the microwave...just do not put a pb jar with the tiniest bit of the foil lining left on it in there. :scared1: I learned that one the hard way!

I've got popcorn on the list for tomorrow and new lunch bags. Mine had printing.

So I can add literaly a drop of oil or skip it - right? But I need oil if I'm using seasoning otherwise it will just fall off - right? Someone somewhere (maybe not here) said that they used margerine spray or olive oil spray. I assume that's after you pop - :confused3

Sorry.popcorn::

you can add brown sugar and cinnamon to the bag and it makes a yummy sweet kettle corn

Yummy! Thanks! How much brown sugar, a teaspoon or tablespoon, more according to taste?

Im so glad the op posted this. I use micro popcorn but was thinking of using the bagged popcorn to save $$. I think I will just save the few remaining bags of micro popcorn for my next disney trip to use in their microwaves in the foodcourt.

Anyone know how to save a good sauce pan I burned popcorn in turning to use olive oil and Blue Corn popcorn?? And Boy Did it Stink!! Worse than the microwave.

We found we like Oville's Movie Popcorn[microwave] the best!!

Just sprinkle seasonings on hot popcorn enough sticks.

Anyone know how to save a good sauce pan I burned popcorn in turning to use olive oil and Blue Corn popcorn?? And Boy Did it Stink!! Worse than the microwave.

We found we like Oville's Movie Popcorn[microwave] the best!!

Just sprinkle seasonings on hot popcorn enough sticks.

I burned popcorn in a really good sauce pan too and I did get it to come clean. I honestly almost just threw the pan away because I figured it would never come clean. I left it outside for about a day so the smell wasn't so bad and then I let it soak with some water in the bottom and Dawn dish detergent. It did finally loosen it enough for me to get it all off. It did take a lot of soaking and scrubbing though. I vowed I would never pop it on the stove again! The weird thing was, when it happened to me, it was on the second batch for the evening. The first one turned out just fine, but the second one ...:eek:

When I burned the bottom of my pan, I soaked it like the previous poster did. Then, I put a good glop baking soda and about an inch of water and boiled it. That worked well and let me avoid some hard scrubbing.

If staples and metal bowls are OK for the microwave, why did mine go crazy when my kids - each, at the exact same age ;) - put an Arby's wrapper in the microwave? :confused3 Is it that foil paper, like the wrapper and peanut butter seal, are evil? My kids have left a stainless steel fork or a spoon in something that they microwaved, and it was OK, too. Seriously, why?

I don't like popcorn, I never eat popcorn, some times my friends are forced to eat popcorn but I don't like to eat popcorn.
I bet what you like most is SPAM ... considering your signature is an advertisement for Hawaii condos :rolleyes1.

This tip came at the perfect time for me.... my ds Kindergarten class was making Apple Blossom Trees and the teacher wanted to use popcorn for the apple blossoms. I read this thread the morning of the craft activity and thanked my stars for the OP, b/c it saved me money, gave me a fun and fast snack for my kids, and made it super easy to pop two huge bags of popcorn for my ds craft activity! I have since shared this tip with several of the teachers at my ds school! Thanks OP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter