Hollywood Studios review :)

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Well, let me say first off that much like people who say Animal Kingdom is a half day park are wrong - so are they that say Hollywood Studios is a half day park. It is definitely not a half day park, not unless you skip a bunch of stuff. We spent a total of 9 hours there today and didn't come close to seeing/doing everything! And so far, out of all four parks, Hollywood Studios has been their favorite!!! (Children are 8 & 5). And has definitely been DH's favorite. He really, really enjoyed this park.

Now, one of my first impressions is - this park is LOUD. Wow. The shows are loud, the street noise is loud, it's loud. So, for those who ha have sound sensitive children - bring ear plugs.

So we arrived for RD and headed right for Jedi Training sign up. We got both kids in for the 11:50
show. Crowds were large, so they had 30 children in each class. 15 went up on stage and battled Darth Vader, 15 stayed on the street and battled Darth Maul. My kids battled Darth Maul which they loved - he is my son's favorite villain. Needless to say the children loved this.

So after signing the kids up DH and I rode Star Tours which was a lot of fun - and I was the bad guy on board, lol. I didn't even notice my photo on the screen till DH showed me. From there we went to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground set - WOW. If you have young children do NOT skip this. It is incredible, and we were hard put to get the kids out of there, lol. Also, they have a great spray feature inside which is great for cooling.

From there we went on to TSMM. It was a hit, plain and simple. It really is a fun ride. Unfortunately, by the time we got off the ride it was 10:30 so we figured we had missed the Frozen processional, so we just strolled on to see what we could find. Well, as luck would have it we took a turn and found ourselves in the emergency exit area for the Frozen Processional and got to watch the whole thing, lol. It wasn't the greatest view, as they were turning away from us, but we were near the screens. DD's face when she saw Elsa coming down the street was priceless.

When that was done, we let the children go build their own light sabers which was definitely a hit. And quite honestly, I found the price very reasonable for both the experience and quality. The light saber is huge and has light and sound features.

Next was the Jedi Training Academy. After that we went to Indiana Jones Stunt show. Unfortunately, DS had to leave after the first "act" due to the noise, but DD loved it. And we enjoyed it as well.

It was a very busy morning! So we went back to our rental house for the rest of the afternoon for a break. We were back in the park for 6:30. We were able to ride TSMM again (we used DAS card both times) and then went to Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Both of the children loved this show. All of us were in awe at Hollywood Studios at just how well done the shows were. Everything we saw was excellent.

After Little Mermaid, we headed over to the Frozen Sing a Long. But we lucked out, as we were walking that way we passed by the DJ Dance party and who was in the crowd dancing but Mickey! So the kids ran right up and were able to dance with him for a few minutes!

Frozen Sing a Long was amazing. Some great adult-humor in there that only we can get, and yet the kids found it funny because everyone else was laughing, lol. Both the children were starry-eyed watching it.

After that we headed over to Min & Bill's Dockside diner, and were lucky enough to nab a table right in the center stage area to watch the Frozen Fireworks. Do not miss these - they are spectacular. Very loud, but amazing. While we were waiting for the fireworks to start, the kids had a blast dancing in the street to the DJ dance party.

Our last stop for the night was Fantasmic. Now, DD (5) was starting to get a bit tired by this point, not much wonder! But she perked up when the show started and the children just flat out loved it. DD found the villain part scary, but it didn't bother DS in the least. By the time we left, they both declared that this was the best day yet.

Thankfully tomorrow is our rest day and we're all in need of one! We may return to HS for another morning, to see some of the things we missed like Beauty & The Beast, Disney Jr, Great Movie Adventure, some character meet & greets etc... My impression is, is that Hollywood Studios is NOT a park to be missed!

WOW! So glad your kids loved HS. That is my favorite park as well...so much to do!!! And let's not forget the ToT, my personal favorite.

Another often-overlooked feature to HS is the Muppets! They sometimes get lost in the shuffle of the park, but I HAVE to see their show whenever i'm at HS. Great stuff!!! Enjoyed the TR..!:smooth:

WOW! So glad your kids loved HS. That is my favorite park as well...so much to do!!! And let's not forget the ToT, my personal favorite.

Another often-overlooked feature to HS is the Muppets! They sometimes get lost in the shuffle of the park, but I HAVE to see their show whenever i'm at HS. Great stuff!!! Enjoyed the TR..!:smooth:

We actually added an 8th day today, just so we can go back to HS :) We want to do Muppets as well. Hehe... part of me would like to try ToT, but I have a real phobia of elevators, so I'm not sure it's the ride for me, lol.

We actually added an 8th day today, just so we can go back to HS :) We want to do Muppets as well. Hehe... part of me would like to try ToT, but I have a real phobia of elevators, so I'm not sure it's the ride for me, lol.
If you have problems with elevators/heights/etc., you may not like it. I do not share those phobias, so I thought it was great. Everybody's different.:earsboy:

I'm glad you get to go back for the Muppets! Enjoy it, they are and always will be the best!!!

BTW...when you're standing in the waiting queue, look up. There is a net filled with plastic Jello cubes...A net full o jello! (Annette Funnicello) HAHAHAHA!
(I love those little Hidden Mickeys, just thought you'd enjoy that) Have Fun!!!::MickeyMo::MinnieMo:tinker:

I'm also glad you guys loved HS, it's my favorite park as well as older DS's :goodvibes We easily spend 2-2.5 days there each trip (but our days include multiple rides on TOT and RnRc lol). I agree the shows there are great and I hope you get to see Beauty and the Beast when you go back.

Last Aug. I had no plans to see the Frozen Fireworks, mainly b/c nobody in the family is a Frozen fan. But, we were staying at CSR and on our first night there we could see a good part of the fireworks from the resort and they blew us away. DH and both my boys turned to me and asked what night we were watching them from the park! So I made sure we did :thumbsup2 and they were beautiful.

I have/had a fear of elevators, too. However, I did try ToT for the first time in January of 2014. While I still have a healthy respect for elevators, I have come to like ToT. Once you "fall" once, you've done it. It may fall several times, but in using a death grip on the handles, you, too, can do this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter