Holiday Inn Hotel Plaza Blvd- Newly Renovated- REVIEW

CherylA

DIS Veteran
We checked in on February 15th 2010, the hotel's official first day. After talking to a couple other people who were around we found they had actually been open 2 days earlier as sort of a soft opening. I got the impression that the people who had stayed those days were family of employees.

Since most of the rooms weren't taken we were given a prime room. Top floor overlooking Downtown Disney. The room had two queen beds, a flat screen tv, an amoire with 3 drawers 2 shelves and a cabinet where the minifridge was (no freezer compartment). There was a plush chair with an ottoman, and a bench that we used to keep our suitcase on. There was also a desk with a large comfortable rolling chair. In the bathroom there was shampoo and lotion but no conditioner. There was a hairdryer under the vanity.

The beds were very comfortable and they have soft as well as firm pillows on the bed and they are labeled as such.

The hotel was working out some kinks with the elevators, the service elevator was not running independently of the guest elevators, I'm sure that will be fixed pretty quickly. We also had some hot water issues, luke warm showers in the AM. I took my showers in the PM to solve that problem. I expect they are working on that issue also.

Each of the rooms has a balcony or patio with 2 chairs and a small table. The pool was nice. There is only one pool and a section of it can be used for swimming laps, a section of it is zero entry. There are towels by the pool and there are bathrooms/changing facilites by the pool so pack your swimsuits where you can find them easily and you can swim until your room is ready.

The walk to Downtown Disney is pleasant. There is a sidewalk all the way there. It was about a 5 minute walk. Parking is $10 night for your car. They do not charge a resort fee. There was the main restautant which is out in the middle of the atrium (can't comment on the food, didn't eat here) also a "grab and go" spot for muffins and coffee type items in the morning. The bar area is nice and is really hopping in the evening, during the afternoon you can get drinks here in plastic cups to bring by the pool.

The fitness room consists of (2) recumbent bikes, (2) elliptical machines, (2) treadmills, (1) scale, (1) television. There is also a game room with a driving game, a pac man type game and a few others as well as a win a prize type "game" and an airhockey table (pay)

There are some conference facilities off the atrium area and a VERY small business center. Internet access is available free in the rooms but it is a connection not wifi. There is free wifi in the lobby.:surfweb:

There are laundry machines in the garden wing area, floors 2 4 and 6 each have 1 washer and 1 dryer. :laundy:There are currently no laundry facilities in the tower but they are talking about trying to put some in there, which would be good because doing laundry on the 4th floor of the garden wing when you are on the 14th floor of the tower is not easy or fun! The prices were steep too, $3 to wash $3 to dry! ouch!

The staff was very pleasant during our stay. We got a great rate but I wouldn't hesitiate to pay the $120/night they seem to typically be asking.

Here are some photos. Please ask questions if I missed anything!

The entrance
IMG_3523.jpg

The lobby
IMG_3526.jpg

check in desk
IMG_3528.jpg

The pool area
IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

Atrium restaurant area
IMG_3529.jpg

Atrium looking up
IMG_3530.jpg

Atrium looking down from 14th floor
IMG_3556.jpg

Bar area (these doors are open durning evening hours)
IMG_3527.jpg

The room
IMG_3559.jpg

Bathroom
IMG_3565.jpg

14th floor balcony (other floors have solid rails)
IMG_3572.jpg

:thumbsup2 Great trip report, thank you! I am hoping with this new non-Hilton hotel, this will give the DTD Hilton some competition (which by the way raised there prices :sad2:).

Thanks!

We checked in on February 15th 2010, the hotel's official first day. After talking to a couple other people who were around we found they had actually been open 2 days earlier as sort of a soft opening. I got the impression that the people who had stayed those days were family of employees.

Since most of the rooms weren't taken we were given a prime room. Top floor overlooking Downtown Disney. The room had two queen beds, a flat screen tv, an amoire with 3 drawers 2 shelves and a cabinet where the minifridge was (no freezer compartment). There was a plush chair with an ottoman, and a bench that we used to keep our suitcase on. In the bathroom there was shampoo and lotion but no conditioner. There was a hairdryer under the vanity.

The beds were very comfortable and they have soft as well as firm pillows on the bed and they are labeled as such.

The hotel was working out some kinks with the elevators, the service elevator was not running independently of the guest elevators, I'm sure that will be fixed pretty quickly. We also had some hot water issues, luke warm showers in the AM. I took my showers in the PM to solve that problem. I expect they are working on that issue also.

Each of the rooms has a balcony or patio with 2 chairs and a small table. The pool was nice. There is only one pool and a section of it can be used for swimming laps, a section of it is zero entry. There are towels by the pool and there are bathrooms/changing facilites by the pool so pack your swimsuits where you can find them easily and you can swim until your room is ready.

The walk to Downtown Disney is pleasant. There is a sidewalk all the way there. It was about a 5 minute walk. Parking is $10 night for your car. They do not charge a resort fee. There was the main restautant which is out in the middle of the atrium (can't comment on the food, didn't eat here) also a "grab and go" spot for muffins and coffee type items in the morning. The bar area is nice and is really hopping in the evening, during the afternoon you can get drinks here in plastic cups to bring by the pool.

The fitness room consists of (2) recumbent bikes, (2) elliptical machines, (2) treadmills, (1) scale, (1) television. There is also a game room with a driving game, a pac man type game and a few others as well as a win a prize type "game" and an airhockey table (pay)

There are some conference facilities off the atrium area and a VERY small business center. Internet access is available free in the rooms but it is a connection not wifi. There is free wifi in the lobby.:surfweb:

There are laundry machines in the garden wing area, floors 2 4 and 6 each have 1 washer and 1 dryer. :laundy:There are currently no laundry facilities in the tower but they are talking about trying to put some in there, which would be good because doing laundry on the 4th floor of the garden wing when you are on the 14th floor of the tower is not easy or fun! The prices were steep too, $3 to wash $3 to dry! ouch!

The staff was very pleasant during our stay. We got a great rate but I wouldn't hesitiate to pay the $120/night they seem to typically be asking.

Thanks so much for the great and thorough review!

That is a bummer about the laundry rooms - only ONE washer and ONE dryer? Yikes - what if one breaks? Also, $3 is steep, even more than Disney. I'd be tempted to drive to a laundromat one day during a trip; I have to have clean clothes! Yes, we did that twice in Hawaii, not the most fun way to spend a couple of hours, but hope they put in more facilities for laundry.

The rooms look very clean and classy.

Those rooms are better than the value resorts. Even though you are not staying on-site, I would rather stay here.

Is the pool heated? I am looking at a December stay and that would be nice.

Thanks!

Yes, it was nice and warm even for our February stay! I can't say the same about the air temperature! My kiddos didn't care though!

I'm glad you had a good experience however after what they've done to me and I haven't even stayed there yet my odds of ever staying there are slim. I originally booked a 3 night stay starting on Mar. 28th. Then DH and I decided to go ahead and stay at AKV. So I logged in online and changed my dates to a July stay instead. No issues at that time (this was in Jan.) and I even received a nice 'your reservation modification' email to confirm my dates. So I go to FL and have a blast all to come home and find out I've been charged no show fees for the original date. I call to find out why thinking surely there was a glitch and the HOTEL didn't receive the web change and will refund my money. Well after 2 hrs on the phone I find out that the hotel made a new reservation on the 23rd of Mar because I was no longer in the system. DUH..cuz I changed it. So they finally ask me to wait 48 hrs and call back. I do all to find out that 'because I'm a priority club member as a good faith gesture they'll refund my money.' WHAT??? :eek: Good Faith Gesture???? For their mess up? They were not very nice about it at all and right now I'm thinking of changing where I'm going to stay in July. Am I wrong for feeling like that? I had 2 representatives tell me they weren't sure what happened or why it happened because it shouldn't have. So WTH...I just don't get it.

Anyway, it is good to know that if I should happen to stay there (due to money reasons) I may be treated a little better.

We may not have a car and are wondering about transportation to the parks? Shuttles?

Also is there a shuttle to DTD?

My parents are very senior and even though your 5 minute walk sounds nice, the view on google makes it look longer which has already scared my mom (so now she is insisting on shuttle).

Also if you know about the shuttle do you happen to know the cost?

We may not have a car and are wondering about transportation to the parks? Shuttles?

My parents are very senior and even though your 5 minute walk sounds nice, the view on google makes it look longer which has already scared my mom (so now she is insisting on shuttle).

When we were there I do not think there were any shuttles. Of course it's been a little while and that may have changed, I would call the hotel and ask about that. As for the walk to Downtown Disney it is really pleasant for younger people in decent shape but if your parents have any type of trouble with long walks then it's not for you. I really recommend having a car if you are staying here. It makes it so much nicer, theres a lot in the area that is really easy to get to from the hotel but is just kind of far without a car.

do you remember what tv stations you had? my DS likes nickelodeon and disney (you only get disney on disney) TIAprincess:

we were there last week and although we didn't use the shutttles they do have them right out front....this is a wonderful offsite hotel and we would definately use them again...I was so impressed I wrote a review on tripadvisor.com
we used the friends and family discount offered here on the boards and our room was only $58. for the night and that was with the $10. parking fee:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for posting your review. We are staying there in June, and I'm glad to hear more positives about the acommodations!

Sure :) We really liked it there. The people were really nice too. Enjoy your trip!

We are staying here tonight when we get to orlando before going to the MGV. Glad to hear its going to be a decent stay. Thinking of spending the last four days of our trip here as well. We are right now scheduled to stay at the Holiday Inn Castle, but the reviews are so so and its over by Seaworld and we really want to be closer to HS as we are going there on Friday as soon as we get off work at 8am...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter