HK Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland

rosaciri

Mouseketeer
Organising a cruise with RCC next year with a stop over to either do HKDL or TDL on the way home.

What would ppl suggest. From what I am reading HKDL is much smaller and quieter than TDL.

We have been to DL Anaheim and we luved it and my DDs had a great time there. Just a little confused about which would be the better park to do out of HKDL or TDL. DDs will be 11 and 6 when traveling. Any recommendations/thoughts/experiences would be appreciated. As we are flying from Barcelona back home after our cruise we would be able to either do a stopover in HK or Tokyo. TIA

Tokyo for sure!!

HKDL is smaller and "quieter", but some of that actually depends on the time of year it is as well. My son and daughter and I did it easily in a day with so so crowds and didn't feel as if we missed anything. For us, it was a nice experience, but made me miss WDW!

Also, from what I've read and seen, the Toyko experience is much more in depth and so much more detail then many of the other parks. There are two people who've done trip reports from both.. A pretty awesome lady who's sister was a cast member in Toyko, and there is a nice guy who did his TR from HK. That might help you decide also. :)

Many thanks - I will see what I can find in TRs for both places - we are able to stop for 4 or 5 nights on the way home so time really isn't an issue. Just not sure which would be a better park to visit in October 2017.

We were in Tokyo in April and it was great. 3 days would probably do it, if crowds aren't too crazy. Then you could see some of Tokyo as well, which we loved. I think if you do Hong Kong, you'll have the park finished in a day. Maybe depends on whether you want to see some of either country as well.

My vote would be for Hong Kong. We spent three days there over Christmas 2013 and loved it. It was supposed to be a busy time, but we didn't have any issues with crowds at all, especially in the mornings. It was a very pleasant experience.

We visited Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in October 2015, during what was supposed to be a quiet time. I would hate to see a busy time. We've been to all the Disney parks except Shanghai (yet!), and DisneySea has been our most disappointing experience. Way, way too crowded, and lines that went on for hours for both rides and food. Just an overall bad experience. We arrived at opening time and managed to get on one of the most popular rides (something to do with a volcano), but that was a fluke. We barely managed any of the other rides during our two days. I doubt I'll ever return. I think we left early in disgust one day.

Tokyo Disneyland park was also very crowded, with long waits, but with the clever use of fastpass we were able to get on most rides during our two (three?) days there. One thing we did learn/do was to head to Fantasyland at opening time as it was virtually empty for the first hour or so so all rides were just walk on. After that it became quite crowded.

My vote would be for Hong Kong. We spent three days there over Christmas 2013 and loved it. It was supposed to be a busy time, but we didn't have any issues with crowds at all, especially in the mornings. It was a very pleasant experience.

We visited Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in October 2015, during what was supposed to be a quiet time. I would hate to see a busy time. We've been to all the Disney parks except Shanghai (yet!), and DisneySea has been our most disappointing experience. Way, way too crowded, and lines that went on for hours for both rides and food. Just an overall bad experience. We arrived at opening time and managed to get on one of the most popular rides (something to do with a volcano), but that was a fluke. We barely managed any of the other rides during our two days. I doubt I'll ever return. I think we left early in disgust one day.

Tokyo Disneyland park was also very crowded, with long waits, but with the clever use of fastpass we were able to get on most rides during our two (three?) days there. One thing we did learn/do was to head to Fantasyland at opening time as it was virtually empty for the first hour or so so all rides were just walk on. After that it became quite crowded.

This is what I am thinking also - way too crowded for TDL. As we will be on our way home from a 3 week med cruise we wanted to break up the flight home and thought we would stop at TDL or HKDL. I'm leaning more towards HKDL from all the reading I'm doing. Not sure my DDs could handle TDL. They barely made it through DL Anaheim when we were there bc of the crowds.

From what you've just said I think Hong Kong would work. If you can spring for the Kingdom Club at Disneyland Hotel then you'll be able to just enjoy some down time there instead of being in the park the whole time.
I'd only attempt Tokyo if it would be mid-week, weekends are too crazy there. I personally prefer Tokyo but if the idea is to break up the flight and take things easy then Hong Kong would be a better fit I think.

Do Tokyo! HK Disney is tiny. It will take you two days. Unless you are really into shopping there isn't much else really to do - some museums etc in Hong Kong.

But Tokyo is very very busy. People are very very polite though. Lots of proper queues and no cutting in lines.
But the lines are really bad - hour wait for rides minimum. But everything is so cute and the stores have much better merchandise!
And there are two parks to visit. whereas Hong Kong is just one.

Thanks heaps everyone. We have decided to do a stopover in HK so we will be onsite at HKDL. We are stopping for 2 nights and 3 days so we will do HKDL for 2 days and a day of shopping - hopefully I will be able to find a shopping centre close to HKDL or the airport to do this. Don't think I can drag a 6 year old and 11 year old through crowds and have them wait for up to an hour for a ride. We really are only stopping to break up the flight for them as our flight home is a 22 hour flight from Barcelona so stopping in HK will make it a little bareable. They barely made it on the flight to LA and through DL Anaheim so I am thinking HK as it is a little slower paced for everyone. We will be staying at HKDL Hollywood so we are onsite. Apart from HKDL we really aren't doing anything else in HK. Now for the fun part to try and coordinate it all. Wish me luck.

There's an outlet centre in Tung Chung, near the cable car station for the Big Buddha (ideal if you want to do that too). Super easy to get to from Disneyland, just get the train from Sunny Bay station to Tung Chung (right at the end, so you can't miss it!). The cable car and outlets are right next to the station.

I would've gone with Tokyo, it's a great park and also Disney Sea right next door.
No issues with crowds when I went, longest wait was 30min - maybe I just went on a good week??

We've been to all parks except Shanghai. The most unique (rides, snacks, culture etc) with the most detailed theming is Tokyo DisneySea. Japanese parks are always busy but if you go at the right time of year and avoid weekends it is great. We went in Jan this year and utilizing fast passes our longest wait times were only 30-40 min. You do need to know what you're doing when visiting Tokyo Disney because the locals themselves are very savvy. There is a crowd calendar for the Japanese parks. if you decide to visit TDR check that out before you go. Tokyo as a destination itself also has more interesting offerings. However as others have already mentioned if you want easy 1 day at a Disney park with low stress, HK would be the go.

My kids were 7, 10 and 13 at time of travel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter