HI - new here, would like some advice!!!

Kdiamond

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this board and I think its great!! You all are such Disney "pros". :)

I am taking my 2.4 year old and 5 month old to WDW for the first time in 3 weeks (mid August). I have a couple questions maybe you guys could help me with.

1) Stroller - both kids ride in a stroller, though my 2 year old daughter doesn't like it ALL the time. The double stroller I have is very bulky and heavy, and hard to turn and basically just a pain. So I thought I would bring a regular stroller and another umbrella stroller (the lightest one they make) to use for my daughter when she wants it, and then fold it up and hang it on the back of the other one when she is not using it. What do you think?

2) Can anyone recommend good diaper bags that attach to strollers?

3) Where do you get those fan/mister things that attach to strollers?

Actually any stroller advice or tips would be great!!!

And anything else you have experienced with little kids would be nice to hear about, so I know what I'm in for!!

I was thinking of getting one of those harnesses so I can keep track of my 2 year old when she's not in the stroller. Anyone ever use one? I am really scared of security and losing her...!!!

Thanks guys!

Karen, SAHM mommy to
Taylor 4/5/01
Gavin 3/20/03

Have you considered buying a new lightweight double stroller? When my twin dds were small, I went through several different types of strollers. Check out your local stores and take them for a test spin.

If you decide to bring an umbrella stoller for your dd, is it comfortable for either you or DH to push? My DH is 6'2" and the normal umbrella stollers broke his back - mine too for that matter.

When we were at WDW I brought a regular back pack instead of the diaper bag. Remember, there are baby care centers at the park which are wonderful - be sure to take advantage of them.

As for your question regarding the fan, can' t help you there. I checked Right Start's web site, and they didn't have one.

I've only taken one child to WDW, so I can't really help with the stroller thing, as we only brought along our single one. I would say that it's better to bring your own if possible, because the ones at the park have no storage whatsoever, and mine also has cup holders which helped a lot.

I have read on another post that the mister fans were available at Wal Mart, but I would check soon as they are probably getting rid of the summer stuff right now...When my dd was 1.5, we bought a small fan at WDW that was slightly bigger than a lighter, and had a string to wear it around your neck. We pinned it to the canopy of her stroller, letting it hang down. (only with the seat in the reclined position. If she tried to sit up, the fan got tangled in her hair.) It was perfect to help keep her cool while she napped in the stroller.

As for the diaper bag, I just brought my regular one, I didn't get anything special for the trip. It fit in the basket underneath the stroller, and we hung the video camera bag from the handle of the stroller. It had everything we needed, and worked out fine.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

I just went in April with two young kids. My DS was 2 and my DD was 3 months. We brought separte strollers for them. (I have a cheap double umbrella stroller that I only use if I go for a long walk and DS wont walk for long.) Having the separate strollers for them worked out great.. because I was at the baby centers alot with my DD and DS stayed with the rest of the party. Actually I did bring a umbrella stroller for DS but it broke at the airport. (we checked it in as regular luggage) So we ended up renting for him. This worked out much better because he is a very big 2yr old. He had lots of room in the rented stroller. DS also does not like to be in the stroller all the time but in WDW he loved being in it all the time. :p

I brought a regular backpack that I put under DD's stroller. I just grabbed it when I went on an attraction.

As mentioned above do take advantage of the baby centers for both of your kids. They have a private nursing room. (which I took full advantage of ) They have a room with a TV and chairs for the little ones to take a break. Also if you run out of anything they sell any baby item you could think of. (a little more costly, so be sure to bring enough diapers and other baby supplies)

Enjoy your trip :Pinkbounc

As far as the stroller thing, I'm not much help. We've always just rented them. Plus we didn't go until the oldest was 3 (other two not here then and they were 5,6 when they went first time)

As far as those harness things, we did use that when DD was 3. We would hook it onto her belt loops, or the straps of her overalls. I don't think we ever put it on her wrist.... I know some people don't care for them, but my thought was that it didn't matter what other people think, it's what some other people might do. It never bothered her that it was on there, plus she had a little bit of freedom.

We used a harness on my son a few months ago at DisneyLand (he was 18 mos.). It worked well for the entire family -- he got to go, go, go and we got to keep track of him.

We have the Safety First harness that goes around his chest with velcro in back to take it on and off -- works well, the velcro is so thick and on the back that my son can't take it on and off. With a wrist harness, my son would slip out and be gone!

We received many admiring comments from other parents at DL -- no negative ones.

Also, just in case he got misplaced, I put tape on the inside back of my son's t-shirts (where the tags are). I included his name, our names, our hotel info. and my cell phone number. Made me feel better.

My experience with hanging diaper bags off lightweight strollers is that the minute you take the child out of the stroller, the entire stroller tips over. I just bought a lightweight Kolkraft with a large basket for our Sept. trip to WDW -- $30. If I were you, I would look to see if there are any lightweight double strollers with good-sized baskets. Or take two strollers, with at least one having a basket.

Best of Luck,

EthansMom

When we've had 2 at a time in strollers we've always brought our own lightweight and then rented a WDW stroller. Rental strollers are traditionally very sturdy so we could pack it with our "junk" (no, not the kid!......you know, the stuff you accumulate all day in the parks). Somewhere online there is a picture of the WDW rental strollers.
I always made a mental note of what color shirt my kids are wearing at the start of the day. If they wander off, even only a few feet from you, it's faster to look for a red shirt than to focus on each face in the crowd, looking for your little one. Also, I make up a card containing all contact info. and place it in a plastic lapel card holder. I pin the card to the backs of the toddlers/pre-schoolers in case they are seperated from us.

Last year I went with 2 young kids (5 and 2) and 2 separate strollers is definitely the way to go because you will end up splitting up at times. Also, your 2 year old will probably use the stroller just about all of the time because she will be standing enough just by waiting in line. We bought a stroller for our son who was 5 and he actually used it a bunch! Also-- make sure that the stroller can be folded up easily and is not too heavy, or else you will have a hard time bringing it on the train ride (which your 2 year old should love). Have a great time!

Looks like you got lots of good info

Just wanted to say Welcome to the DIS :)

For our trip in June I found these little battery operated fans at Walmart that were made in the shape of animals. The blades were kinda recessed in the animals tummy area and were made of foam. I then used pipe cleaners to attach the fan to a really big binder clip and then clipped it on the stroller. It worked ok-but if anyone knows where to find a real battery operated clip on fan please let me know.

As far as a clip on fan (battery operated) perfect for the stroller...I ordered one from OneStepAhead for 12.95 plus shipping. Tried it out and it works great...safe for little fingers and gave off a nice breeze.

I also saw one that looked like it would work just as well as the one I had purchased at an outdoor activities store (Ramsey's Outdoor World)...where you buy camping, hunting, fishing equipment....they also had mister fans as well. I am not sure if they are just a local store...but I am sure there must be something similar in any given area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter