Hey Kevin and John! When you do ABD trips.....

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
You've talked about getting a private driver/car to take you around your destination. Do you book this ahead of time? How do you go about finding a reputable company?

We're in Rome for a day off the NCL Epic in June and would like to do this.

Thanks!
Denice T.

I know you asked Kevin but I will chime in also. Remember the port for Rome is far from the port, 1.5-2 hours if I remember correctly. If you are trying to actually tour Rome you will need to think ahead. In the past I have used cruise critic to ask for recommendations. If you go to the roll call section of the boards you can look for what people on your cruise are doing for each port. I hope that helps.

I know you asked Kevin but I will chime in also. Remember the port for Rome is far from the port, 1.5-2 hours if I remember correctly. If you are trying to actually tour Rome you will need to think ahead. In the past I have used cruise critic to ask for recommendations. If you go to the roll call section of the boards you can look for what people on your cruise are doing for each port. I hope that helps.
I'll echo this sentiment - although I've only done 2 cruises, I found Cruise Critic invaluable for info, have recommended tons of others there, and they have all also found it extremely helpful.

Thanks bamagoofy! I have been doing just that. I've found 2-3 companies that look promising. We're a party of 10 so planning ahead is probably the best option!

I went on a DCL Mediterranean Cruise back in 2007. I joined a Cruise Meet Thread here on the DIS and some of us got together and booked some private tours. There were three families on each tour (mix/match), and we were 10-11. We used this company, and were able to tailor our tours. You might want to check them out: http://www.limoinrome.com/

What I liked is that the driver would take us someplace and a local guide would give us a tour. We were able to visit and tour (without waiting in line) the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, the Coliseum (again without waiting in line), have lunch at a local pizzeria, have gelato from a big gelato shop, tour the Pantheon (loved it), and visit Trevi Fountain. We did a lot in just one day. We used the same company in Naples to visit Pompeii (loved it), drive along the Amalfi Coast, eat in a restaurant high on the hill overlooking the Mediterranean, visit Positano, and stop in Sorrento (for a little bit).

(I had to go back in my emails to find the email from the company.)

Here's what his email said:

thanks for visiting my website.

I give you the availability for the service requested.

Concerning the possibility to share the excursion, I prefere you acheive the agreement personally with other cruisers. Last season I have had bad experience to assemble groups!

About the excursion from Civitavecchia:
Your driver-guide will pick you up at the ship to start your tour. Enjoy a leisurely one hour 20 minutes drive through the Etruscan countryside straight to
the Vatican City: St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum* where an exceptional
collection of artwork from every era is on display,treasures collected by the Popes throughout the centuries.Then, you'll visit the Sistine Chapel, frescoed by Michelangelo.
After the Vatican ahead to
Piazza Venezia, the main square of the City. Start by exploring the Rome of the Emperors. Stops will be made at the Roman Forum, the Coliseum and the Mouth of Truth.
Then take a panoramic drive past the Circus Maximus, the Palatine Hill and the Baths of Caracalla.

You can stop for an optional lunch and enjoy traditional Italian cuisine. Back in the heart of Rome, stop for a visit inside the Pantheon, the best conserved monument of Ancient Rome as well as the nearby Santa Maria Sopra
Minerva housing Michelangelo's "Risen Christ" .

Continue through Baroque and Renaissance Rome: from piazza Navona to Campo de Fiori and Piazza Farnese. See Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. Stroll through the narrow streets admiring statues, fountains, discovering curiousities and shopping.
Your tour ends with the transfer back to the ship where estimated arrival at the port is around 5:30 ;

* I can arrange 3 hours private guided tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistin Chapel and St. Peter Basilica with licensed guide.

* Licensed guides are allowed to enter the Vatican Museums & Sistin Chapel with their clients at 8:00 up 10:00 a.m. without standing in line before the official opening time scheduled at 10:00 a.m. for all other visitors. After 10:00 a.m. also licensed guide have to comply with line.

Entrance fee not included in my rates: Coliseum Euro 11 p.p.; Vatican Museums & Sistin Chapel Euro 13 p.p. + Euro 3 prebooking;

The tour would be flaxible and you could arrange according to your needs.
Vehicle used for touring is:MERCEDES 8 pax MINIBUS airconditioned

Mode payment: cash or traveller checks at the end of the service

If you need further information regarding this or any other of my services, please contact me by e-mail.

Looking forward to hearing from you and confirming the booking.

I went on a DCL Mediterranean Cruise back in 2007. I joined a Cruise Meet Thread here on the DIS and some of us got together and booked some private tours. There were three families on each tour (mix/match), and we were 10-11. We used this company, and were able to tailor our tours. You might want to check them out: http://www.limoinrome.com/

What I liked is that the driver would take us someplace and a local guide would give us a tour. We were able to visit and tour (without waiting in line) the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, the Coliseum (again without waiting in line), have lunch at a local pizzeria, have gelato from a big gelato shop, tour the Pantheon (loved it), and visit Trevi Fountain. We did a lot in just one day. We used the same company in Naples to visit Pompeii (loved it), drive along the Amalfi Coast, eat in a restaurant high on the hill overlooking the Mediterranean, visit Positano, and stop in Sorrento (for a little bit).

(I had to go back in my emails to find the email from the company.)

Here's what his email said:

Do you remember how much this cost?

I used a company called "Rome in Limo" (I think this was different than "Limo in Rome"--LOL), and I was very satisfied. Sounds like we had almost the same experiences as Webmaster Mary did.

I used a company called "Rome in Limo" (I think this was different than "Limo in Rome"--LOL), and I was very satisfied. Sounds like we had almost the same experiences as Webmaster Mary did.

We used Rome in Limo on our Med cruise too and was very happy with them. We also used them in Livorno and Naples.

Or if not a cruise ..check the forums at Trip Advisor. Usually you can get info on local drivers who are reputable. The cost depends on how many people, size of vehicle, time ...what's the service worth to you per hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter