Here now, broken MK

We have been 'walked off' Winnie the Pooh and Little Mermaid. Twice we have sat inside the doom buggy on the Haunted Mansion for 10-15 minutes. But the worst was Pirates of the Caribbean, we heard 'a pirate's life for me' a hundred times when on it when it broke down. That was a long wait!

I think this is the new normal. It's strange, but no matter what Disney does, people come in droves. The higher they raise prices, the more people come it seems. Even if things are broken, people come. They are so busy building and expanding that I think they have problems keeping up the rest of the parks. They keep offering promotions, specials, discounts etc. when things are kind of in disarray and unfinished. But you know what? People keep coming, so why not? From a business point I bet they are very very happy. I feel like they are in a transition period.

Funny you should say that. A friend of mine had an AP and went several days this summer. She said crowd levels were low. I've read elsewhere that international tourism to FL was down. Maybe the American crowds are more common this time of year and are staying high.

To OP - I'm so sorry for your bad day. I hate to hear it.

It was closed for the entire 2 weeks of our visit in October with just a little sign saying "closed today".

Nothing about being closed for good or for a refurb.
As far as I know I'm sure I've read that Stitch has gone to being a 'Seasonal' ride which means a) that it will only (maybe) be opened during exceptionally high crowd times, and b) is usually the precursor to permanent closure and/or a replacement of the ride.

(Edited for typos)

Last edited:
Under the sea; off line all day.
Peter Pan : down extended time
Splash: down mutiple times.
Tommorrowland speedway: down extended.
BTMRR: refurb
Stitch : closed

Just reality now! ......comments....

Park is also very crowded

Just saying...Splash often goes down. That's just how Splash is. If you haven't had the pleasure of being walked down the lift hill by a CM yelling "No pictures!", you eventually will. The BTMRR refurb was scheduled and should have come as no surprise. Stitch closing and turning into only a seasonally open ride was also announced publicly, and discussed on here. PP, TS, and Under the Sea going down together is odd, however.

Funny you should say that. A friend of mine had an AP and went several days this summer. She said crowd levels were low.
Yes, we went in mid-July, and crowds were low. Still had to deal with the heat and rain, but worth it to avoid the aggravation of crowds and long lines everywhere. It seems that fall is the new summer at WDW, in terms of attendance.

We did notice multiple slow-downs & malfunctions on rides then, too, although most rides were at least open.

We have been 'walked off' Winnie the Pooh and Little Mermaid. Twice we have sat inside the doom buggy on the Haunted Mansion for 10-15 minutes. But the worst was Pirates of the Caribbean, we heard 'a pirate's life for me' a hundred times when on it when it broke down. That was a long wait!
Pirates of the Caribbean was another ride we didn't get on at MK in October. Was broken every time we tried and one day we along with many others exited a fire exit halfway down the line to leave as we'd waited a long time and it was broken down.

Heartbreak, except for Stitch being down. IMHO that is a good break.

Just got back from 2 days in MK, had no issues with anything being down and affecting our trip. **No jinx for next trip.**

Last report for the day.....a rough one indeed...

The morning went so well.......after 12:30 all fell apart. This was not a good day for MK.

11:30 Splash down....
Back up at 12:30....
Got to ride 2x in a row due to being at gate when it came back up.
Then it went down a few hour later and stayed down until about 8pm.

PP fast pass line 30 minutes....stand by 110 min.
UTS : offline from 11:00 till 8pm.
Tomoorow land speedway down for several hours.
People mover 18 minute stand by followed by an accident and then off and on for rest of night.

The SPACE MOUNTAIN DEBACLE.

FP at 5:45.....35 minute wait on FP line while standby blew on by.....no line at all in standby....
People start complaining......By the time we left SPM FP line was out to Astro Obiter....and still no standby line at all...
they Said they would make standby wait an hour so the could clear all the FP....that never happened as FP line remained out to about 50-100 people until Wishes.....
i finally got a hold of the manager and asked them what was all this about? After alot of blaming the system and other ride failure she gave us another paper FP. ( but not for PP or 7 dwarves).

HERE IS THE KICKER!

Made my last FP at that point for Space at 9:10 , after Wishes......BUT when we walked over.....it was closed!!!!!!!!!

They had hundreds of people waiting to ride and it was shut down............no joke!!!!!

It stayed off line until closing never came back.

So , to summeized...at one point.....

Space mountain off line
Splash mountain off line.
UTS off line.
People mover offline.
Speedway off line.

All for extended down times.

Today was a failure of managemnt at MK. Hope that Friday they got it together....

It was very very busy, even the dining options were clearly overwhelmed.......

Took almost 40 minutes to get 4 Hot dogs at Casey's.....

:(

We were @ MK the day before, including FOR MVMCP
& the Holiday Wishes Dessert Party;

On Nov. 16th ,
we were @ AK, incl an Early Dinner @ Tiffins,
AND then went to the Contemporary for the DVC Special Event Pontoon Cruise for Electric Water Pageant & then Wishes.

How awful with all the closings & long lines!!!!

Last report for the day.....a rough one indeed...

The morning went so well.......after 12:30 all fell apart. This was not a good day for MK.

11:30 Splash down....
Back up at 12:30....
Got to ride 2x in a row due to being at gate when it came back up.
Then it went down a few hour later and stayed down until about 8pm.

PP fast pass line 30 minutes....stand by 110 min.
UTS : offline from 11:00 till 8pm.
Tomoorow land speedway down for several hours.
People mover 18 minute stand by followed by an accident and then off and on for rest of night.

The SPACE MOUNTAIN DEBACLE.

FP at 5:45.....35 minute wait on FP line while standby blew on by.....no line at all in standby....
People start complaining......By the time we left SPM FP line was out to Astro Obiter....and still no standby line at all...
they Said they would make standby wait an hour so the could clear all the FP....that never happened as FP line remained out to about 50-100 people until Wishes.....
i finally got a hold of the manager and asked them what was all this about? After alot of blaming the system and other ride failure she gave us another paper FP. ( but not for PP or 7 dwarves).

HERE IS THE KICKER!

Made my last FP at that point for Space at 9:10 , after Wishes......BUT when we walked over.....it was closed!!!!!!!!!

They had hundreds of people waiting to ride and it was shut down............no joke!!!!!

It stayed off line until closing never came back.

So , to summeized...at one point.....

Space mountain off line
Splash mountain off line.
UTS off line.
People mover offline.
Speedway off line.

All for extended down times.

Today was a failure of managemnt at MK. Hope that Friday they got it together....

It was very very busy, even the dining options were clearly overwhelmed.......

Took almost 40 minutes to get 4 Hot dogs at Casey's.....

:(
It's Disney, stuff happens. Sorry you were caught up in the stuff this time.

I just read on fb that he monorails are down and they are bussing people.

It's not only at Disney either. We were trying to ride Kong at Universal yesterday and it broke down twice when we were in line.Luckly we rode it the day before☺️
You are very correct! Any place that has as many machines to keep maintained will have trouble keeping them all online at one time. Just because several are down at the same time and maybe down for longer than other times doesn't mean the place is falling apart. I would rather go to a place that actually stops and repairs their machinery the one that says okay will do it tomorrow and keep going just because of crowds or inconvenience. I would rather be safe and be able to come back and write my favorite ride again. Just my humble opinion.

This scenario played out on our last trip to Disneyland. I had noted times and all details. We never saw fireworks in 3 days and there were a variety of excuses on why they didn't have them. Weather was not an issue even tho that was one of the claims. I had video of the weather...it was perfect. Rides down constantly and being stuck on rides often. I wrote to Disney and they offered our party of 11 3 day park hoppers that do not expire for 50 years. Needless to say, we will go back and try again.

We never saw fireworks in 3 days and there were a variety of excuses on why they didn't have them. Weather was not an issue even tho that was one of the claims.
Winds aloft are typically the reason that fireworks get canceled. Because of DL's location and the surrounding area, winds aloft must be within certain tolerances before fireworks are allowed to be shot off.

Winds aloft are typically the reason that fireworks get canceled. Because of DL's location and the surrounding area, winds aloft must be within certain tolerances before fireworks are allowed to be shot off.

This. To put a really fine point on it, Disneyland Resort sits in astoundingly close proximity to residential neighborhoods. If the winds seem at all to begin blowing towards those neighborhoods, Disneyland is legally bound by agreements with local government to stop the fireworks. That's why very often the fireworks don't happen, or stop while they're in the middle of a show, when to you as a casual visitor it may look like there's no weather problem at all.

This shocked me to read because I'm going in two weeks and couldn't believe how crowded it sounded like it was. Then I looked at the date and realized it was right before Thanksgiving when this was originally posted! Lol! Okay, I feel better now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter