Help packing tips for a 5 year old

My twins were 5 when we went last summer. Two things I'm ever so grateful I packed - their own backpacks for the plain (small blanket, small stuffed animal, their kindle, headphones, 1 activitiy book w/ crayons and a deck of cards, book to read and a snack...) We only had a 2 1/2 hour flight and they used all of it... either on the way there or the way back. The only thing I did w/ that bag when we got to disney is took the stuffed animal out and replenished the snack... stuck it on the shelf in the closet and it was ready to go when we came home.

The other was a pack of disposable mattress pads for the bed in the room. I was worried about bed wetting... and I was right to be. One of my girls sleeps like the dead and she was so exhausted on I think the 3rd day she had an accident while sleeping. It protected the bed and all I had to do was rinse out her jammies and undies. It's not a problem we usually have, but we averaged 9 miles a day so of walking in June Florida heat and she was completely done by the end of the day.

We had slip on shoes to wear around the resort so they weren't stuck w/ tennis shoes the whole time, and an extra pair of tennis shoes for each of them to give their feet something slightly different.
I wasn't planning on doing any laundry while we were there so I had 2 extra shirts 1 extra bottoms, several undies and socks.

Stroller rental does help especially the walk. The 5 year old may hate it to begin with, but 4-5pm rolls around and she has been on her feet for 5-6 hours. YOU have a sleepy cranky kid. (worse combo BTW)

One thing that worked for us when my kids were small was to pack each days outfit in a ziploc bag. Include top, shorts, undies, socks and accessories (for girls). Then when the morning arrives all I had to do was throw the bag on the bed and they knew what to put on. It sure saved a lot of time in the mornings.

This. More than anything. I travel with my young daughter often (to Disney and otherwise), and this is my lifesaver. I cannot tell you how much easier this makes everything. She's 8 now, and I still do this, and now she helps put together her own bags. It makes life so incredibly easy in the mornings. And always back an extra bag with an extra outfit, just in case.

I'v never taken any extra clothes into the park, unless it was a costume that she was going to change into when she was younger for a character meal. I try to take as little as possible into the parks, because I'm the one that has to carry everything. We do get wet on rides, but hey, that's part of the fun, right? And on the days when water rides are on the agenda (AK day with Kali is the wettest, Splash Mountain gets you wet, but not soaked through), I have her wear crocs or her Keens with no socks, which dry quickly and don't get super soaked through for hours.

Stroller rental does help especially the walk. The 5 year old may hate it to begin with, but 4-5pm rolls around and she has been on her feet for 5-6 hours. YOU have a sleepy cranky kid. (worse combo BTW)

Yes, and this, too. Don't be afraid of strollers, even if they don't normally use one at home. It becomes a handy way to carry stuff, and it's a great resting spot for a tired, cranky kid while you wind your way to a place to eat, or try to fight the crowds as you leave the park at the end of the day.

One of our most important items for DD and for me is a product called Body Glide. If you rub it all over your feet in the morning before you put your shoes on, it will avoid blisters. I am blister prone and used to always get blisters at WDW or DL no matter what shoes I wore or what I did, I have not had even one blister at WDW or DL since I started using Body Glide on my feet (which I learned out about on this boards). I have used it on DD's feet since she was 2 (she is now 10) and she has never had a blister at WDW or DL either. We forgoet to put it on her feet when we went to the fair at home last fall, and she wore the same shoes she wears at Disney and got a blister by the end of the day. That is an absolute must for us.

Sunscreen is also very important.

We also take Benadryl cream and Neosporin. DD has sensitive skin, so you never know when she might rub up against something that puts a rash on her arm or leg. It is not a bad idea to have some Children's Ibuprofen of Tylenol etc. just in case. I think you can buy it in the resort shop, but it is expensive and you happen to need it at night after the resort shop is closed, you are out of luck.

Another thing is activities to do on the plane. At that age, I would buy DD some of those little Disney art or craft sets (some of them come with a few markers or crayons), take drawing paper and crayons markers etc. and she did not get to use them for the first time until we were on the plane. That would usually keep her pretty well occupied for the whole flight to and from WDW.

We took the stroller just in case at age 5 thinking we would not need it and we used it every day. Other than at WDW or DL, DD had not used the stroller at all since she was 12 months and took her first step no matter how much walking was involved- not at the zoo, fair, mall, etc. Even being a very high energy kid, at 5 she still did not have the stamina to walk a full day at WDW. Also, little kids can be slow and if you are in a hurry to get from point A to point B the stroller can be extremely helpful. Plus, if they crash in the stroller and you are not ready to leave the park yet, you can just wheel the sleeping child around with you and take turns watching her while the others go on a ride etc.

Last edited:
We took our dd for the first time when she was 5. She loved it, and her hormonal, pregnant mama nearly cried the whole time seeing her so happy.
If she likes princesses, bring dresses. Have her wear clothes underneath to help with the itch factor and in case she wants to take the dress off in the park.
Although we bought a few nicer dresses, we discovered that dd was just as happy with the ones from Walmart. She was simply happy to be at Disney and happy to be a princess.

Are they bringing a stroller? Do it.

What resort are you staying at? Do you have separate rooms? I'm hoping so.

My DD never wore princess dresses, and I've seen little girls miserable in them in the heat. Just saying.

I'd advise them to pack as they would for any other vacation. We always do laundry on trips. I bring a collapsible laundry basket, pods, and dryer sheets. Also do an order for water and snacks for the room (Safeway now delivers at Disney, yay!).

If you want, you can get glow sticks (we always try to bring them, even now).

I packed my five year old a tablet with games and movies for the plane, a new coloring book, and new crayons.

I took enough clothes, underwear, and socks for two changes per day in case of spills, water rides, and the sprinkler area at MK. He had a bathing suit and sandals, sunscreen, and the tolietries he uses at home, shampoo, tooth paste, etc. We went in november so I had a hat for sun and a fleece for cool nights. I also packed a box of granola bars and goldfish for snacks, water bottles, and lollipops for the plane. We all had two ponchos and I did buy, but forgot glow sticks. They would have been nice to put on the stroller to find at night.

We rented a double stroller, but my son has low tone and tires easily, plus we have a three year old so this got a lot of use.

Not OP but have read over all the hints. I have been many times since 2001. However a new thing for me February 10-15,2017 going by myself with my 5 year old niece that has only been once before and that was with her folks and older siblings. They went June 2016 and only did MK & DHS. We are doing 4 parks. I have lupus and when I go I have to have an ECV. Not sure how to do that with a 5 year old (hints).
Know that this trip will be different from the adult only trips I have recently been on but it will be so much fun to go with my niece.

Are they bringing a stroller? Do it.

What resort are you staying at? Do you have separate rooms? I'm hoping so.

My DD never wore princess dresses, and I've seen little girls miserable in them in the heat. Just saying.

I'd advise them to pack as they would for any other vacation. We always do laundry on trips. I bring a collapsible laundry basket, pods, and dryer sheets. Also do an order for water and snacks for the room (Safeway now delivers at Disney, yay!).

If you want, you can get glow sticks (we always try to bring them, even now).

They are not bringing a strollers they don't own one anymore, but we have talked about renting one. How do you order from Safeway? I'll definitely pass on that info.

We are staying at POR in a royal room and yes we have separate rooms no way we wouldn't.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! There has been some really useful tips.

Just go to Safeway's website then click the delivery option. Put in the hotel's address, and you can start shopping! I use it at home from time to time, and have used it on vacation in Arizona as well. Nice for snacks and drinks!

I understand not having a stroller any longer. Renting one may be a good option!

I would hold off on the stroller depending on the structure of your day. I found them to be a pain in the butt, often just left them in the "stroller parking" area for long stretches of time. I would just rent a park stroller when it's actually needed but thats just IMHO. It's probably not necessary if taking midday breaks.

We are less than 60 days to our trip. This time our friends and their 5 year old daughter is coming with us. DH and I don't have kids and the mom just asked me for packing tips and well I have no idea. They have never been to any Disney parks. Other than confortable shoes and the usual I don't know if I am missing something. This will be her first plane ride as well any tips/ideas welcomed!
if they are doing checked bags make sure each family has clothes in each bag in case one bag does not make plane. nothing worse than arriving and someone doesn't have clothes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter