Help on SD parks for young family

Cptnkirky

Mouseketeer
Hi All! We are visiting CA in May, 4 nights at DL DVC then going to SD for 4 nights/days. Dh and I have been to SD, but DD has not. She will be 4.5 when we visit. We are planning 1 day at SD Zoo (or Safari, but leaning towards zoo). We want to do 1 other day at a park of some sort. Since we have 3 full days of DL we don't want to do more then 2 days in SD of parks, other days will be lajolla/balboa/etc.
The big question is where to go the other park day. Choices I found are Legoland, SW, Knotts and Universal. We nixed the last two because they are more older kid rides, so Legoland or SW it is.
The big thing is that we are Orlando regulars (usually yearly), so the possibility that we will go to one of these in Orlando within the next few years is likely. Is one of these a better choice for SD (bigger, more variation from Orlando, etc)? Help us decide which is the better choice...

Also, how long does SD Zoo take to visit?

You can't go wrong with either LL or SW. Both were my DS'S favorites at that age.

Look into getting the CityPass.

Both the zoo and safari parks are great. I prefer the safari park only because it's got the bigger animals. It is a bit of a drive and gets very hot during the day in the summer.

You could spend an entire day at the zoo. There is a narrated bus tour that doesn't take too long (a little less than an hour), but you'll want to have a long visit to the children's zoo. The rest of the zoo has lots of things you won't see up close on the tour and there is a lot of walking up and down hills at the zoo. I guess it depends on how fast you walk and how much you like animals.

I like Legoland for that age. They are normally closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in off season, so be sure to check the dates online.

Camp Snoopy at Knott's is very fun, too. Its a whole area with rides for small children. There are lots of roller coasters there, but I took my kids there when they were small and we had a great time without doing any of the roller coasters.

I'm not a fan of Sea World. That said, when my kids were small, they did enjoy it.

Like the poster above, I prefer the Safari park to the zoo, but for a child that age, I think the zoo is better.

I'd do the zoo over Safari Park as you have a better chance of seeing more animals with a child that age. She's the perfect age for Legoland although be prepared for her to find a building station and spend a few hours putting Legos together. When I look my son at that age he found the center where you built a boat and raced it and spent 4 hours there. (I brought my Kindle).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter