Help me choose between dining in Space or at the Riviera please

vivigrace611

Earning My Ears
On Epcot Day, here are our options:

Space 220 Lunch + Topolinos Dinner

Quick service lunch + Space 220 Dinner

I'm enthused about the excellent food at Topolinos, being a lover for pasta, bread, seafood and wine. Space 220 has stellar ambience and we'd be there during the transition from day to night.

Since I also have the opportunity to eat at Space 220 lunch that day, it seems like why not do space lunch and Topolino's dinner?

That said, Space 220 lunch and dinner are different experiences and it seems the food choices are better at dinner.

It would be a less complicated day if we didn't have to factor a second table service meal into our one day at Epcot.

FYI: We have two kids (4, 6) and it's our first time at Disney World as a family.

Given these options, how would you design your day?

Honestly, it's a lot of food for one day. I suspect your kids would enjoy the atmosphere at Space 220 more than at Topolinos.

I will also say that I ate at both last month, and while I loved Topolinos at dinner (and I lucked out and was eating at sunset, it was gorgeous), there was WAY too much food for me, and I had to leave a good third of my entree because I couldn't finish it.

Would you consider breakfast at Topolino's if you want to do both the same day? You could have more time between breakfast and dinner than lunch and dinner.

Thanks for your thoughts @rangerxenos! I'm landing on Space 220 dinner with the hopes of securing a res for Topolinos breakfast. I got a dining reservation alert set and a plan to walk up first thing in the AM. Wish me luck!

I would also aim for Topolinos for breakfast. It's going to be a bigger hit for the kids with the characters.

Also, Space220 is a really cool experience. The atmosphere was a ton of fun, and they even invited my oldest and I back to the kitchen to meet the chef! Definitely standout service as far as we were concerned 😂 We very much enjoyed our meals, but I doubt the quality is worse at lunch and you get the same atmosphere whenever you go. Lunch might be a good option if you're trying to stretch the budget (aren't we all!).

I would also aim for Topolinos for breakfast. It's going to be a bigger hit for the kids with the characters.

Also, Space220 is a really cool experience. The atmosphere was a ton of fun, and they even invited my oldest and I back to the kitchen to meet the chef! Definitely standout service as far as we were concerned 😂 We very much enjoyed our meals, but I doubt the quality is worse at lunch and you get the same atmosphere whenever you go. Lunch might be a good option if you're trying to stretch the budget (aren't we all!).
@AnnabelleTheTalkingTree

Thanks for your vote! Your detailed review of Space 220 makes me feel confident that we'll enjoy the special experience. I'm excited to see the transition from day to night too.

I like your comment on stretching budget where you can. By my calculations, if we skip TS for lunch we're coming out ahead plus if time is money, then we're not spending money on a 90 minute meal during park time.

Thanks again!

On Epcot Day, here are our options:

Space 220 Lunch + Topolinos Dinner

Quick service lunch + Space 220 Dinner

I'm enthused about the excellent food at Topolinos, being a lover for pasta, bread, seafood and wine. Space 220 has stellar ambience and we'd be there during the transition from day to night.

Since I also have the opportunity to eat at Space 220 lunch that day, it seems like why not do space lunch and Topolino's dinner?

That said, Space 220 lunch and dinner are different experiences and it seems the food choices are better at dinner.

It would be a less complicated day if we didn't have to factor a second table service meal into our one day at Epcot.

FYI: We have two kids (4, 6) and it's our first time at Disney World as a family.

Given these options, how would you design your day?

How do you confidently make sure you’re there for the day to night transition?
Also, is it very obvious and a sight to watch? Or more so a subtle fun thing?

The transition happens at sunset every evening over the course of 15-20 minutes. The day we'll be there sunset happens at 7:20 pm; hence you would need a reservation where you're in the dining room between ~7:15 - 7:40 pm.

You can watch it at this YouTube video

I found this but never watched it. I want to experience it live.

Congrats on your reservation for Topolino’s breakfast!! Can I ask how early in advance you were able to score this?! It was all booked up at our 60 day window and I have alerts set up, planning on a walk up if needed, obsessively checking the site and hoping for a little luck. Just wondering if you were pretty close to your trip date when you saw an opening. Enjoy what sounds like a wonderful day at the parks!

For me, two sit down meals on a park day, particularly one where I have to leave the park, would be WAY more time eating/transitioning to eat than my kids (or I) would want to spend.

Agree that two sit- down reservations during a park day would be too much for me, especially leaving the park for your breakfast. What are your priorities to do in Epcot? We just finished a trip where we had one evening of around 2 1/2 hours plus an additional day of around 8 hours in Epcot- I had a lunch scheduled at Space 220 that day and we ended up canceling as it would have taken too much time out of the day. We wanted to ride as many rides as possible and needed to ride switch some since we had a 2 year old and also sample foods around the World ( which we wouldn’t be able to do on top of one or two sit down meals) and just enjoy looking at the scenery. And my kids wanted to get back to the resort in time to swim before the pool closed. We still could have used more time IMO so I was glad we ended up canceling.

Since you can cancel 2 hours in advance, maybe keep them until you are on your trip but only talk up your top choice or neither to your kids, then if you decide last minute it works better to cancel something, they won’t be disappointed. My older kids were a little disappointed we canceled Space since we had talked it up, but I think we all enjoyed our day more without doing it.

Congrats on your reservation for Topolino’s breakfast!! Can I ask how early in advance you were able to score this?! It was all booked up at our 60 day window and I have alerts set up, planning on a walk up if needed, obsessively checking the site and hoping for a little luck. Just wondering if you were pretty close to your trip date when you saw an opening. Enjoy what sounds like a wonderful day at the parks!

Hi @Cherrychip

Thanks for your well wishes!

I got the reservation 8 days prior to leaving for Disney World, which is where we are now! People change their plans for all sorts of reasons so keep looking. I would also suggest you look at the walk up wait times for Topolinos on the day/ time you're looking to go in the weeks prior. It gives you a sense of how busy it's likely to be during that timeframe. That was my plan in case I couldn't get a reservation and was planning to walk up.

Have a happy trip!

Last edited:
Agree that two sit- down reservations during a park day would be too much for me, especially leaving the park for your breakfast. What are your priorities to do in Epcot? We just finished a trip where we had one evening of around 2 1/2 hours plus an additional day of around 8 hours in Epcot- I had a lunch scheduled at Space 220 that day and we ended up canceling as it would have taken too much time out of the day. We wanted to ride as many rides as possible and needed to ride switch some since we had a 2 year old and also sample foods around the World ( which we wouldn’t be able to do on top of one or two sit down meals) and just enjoy looking at the scenery. And my kids wanted to get back to the resort in time to swim before the pool closed. We still could have used more time IMO so I was glad we ended up canceling.

Since you can cancel 2 hours in advance, maybe keep them until you are on your trip but only talk up your top choice or neither to your kids, then if you decide last minute it works better to cancel something, they won’t be disappointed. My older kids were a little disappointed we canceled Space since we had talked it up, but I think we all enjoyed our day more without doing it.

We have returned from an excellent trip and ultimately, our day at Epcot was a good one. We went to both Topolinos at 11:45 am and Space 220 at 6:15 pm. Previous posters were right in that it was a lot of food! And it took time out of our day at Epcot. If I could to do it again, I wouldn't do it differently though given the way the day panned out.

The weather was so-so, high 50s with cloud cover. We were in the mindset of getting to the next ride and knocking it out versus taking a relaxing tour. We arrived early just after rope drop and managed to hit Frozen, Soarin' twice, Turtle Talk with Crush and Nemo. Then off to the Riviera via the Skyliner -- which my kids thought was a ride! After a lovely brunch, we headed back to the resort to take a break and do some laundry. Back to Epcot by 5 pm to catch a LL for Remy's prior heading to Space 220.

Our family had a blast in space! My kids adored the roaming space people and dog. Our server steered me in the right direction of the Caeser salad and short rib. The Nebula punch was a well-balanced cocktail. Of all the meals we had, Space 220 ranked in the top 3.

If the day had been warm and sunny, I think we would have opted to lounge around World Showcase. I had imagined that we'd check out the Mexico pavilion and I'd amble with a margarita in hand while pushing the stroller with the other. Something to aspire to for the next trip.

I will say that the weather much approved for our next day at Hollywood Studios. That day I did cancel lunch at Sci-fi dine because I wanted a more leisurely touring day without the commitment of a sit down meal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter