help getting started...

kellygreenjenny

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I have fond memories of taking trips in my grandparents' Winnebago as a child, and like the idea of being able to take our "vacation home" with us to explore new places, and also do more of some of the outdoor things my family enjoys but currently only does through short day trips (hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc). We also really love Disney and try to go a few times each year. I think that camping, in a travel trailer or maybe a small class c, would be a great option for us. My husband has zero experience with camping, though, and I only have some (probably romanticized) memories, and no experience of actually being responsible for all the work/details that go along with managing a camper.

I think that renting a camping space with a travel trailer already set up for us, at Disney where we already love going, may be a good option for giving this a try, but I don't even know where to start and am overwhelmed with all of my questions - who to rent from, whether we should get the full experience by renting one locally and driving it down and setting up ourselves, vs rent one that is already set up, should we rent a nicer/larger one or one more along the lines of what we could actually afford to buy and store, etc. We are currently planning a quick trip in April for 5 nights, and then a 7 night split trip between the Poly and Vero Beach for just after Labor Day - one of these trips is the one that we would try to change over to this test of camping. Would the time of year or the length of stay make one a better choice over the other? Is almost-3 years old a good age to try this with our daughter, or would it maybe better wait until she's a year or two older?

Any opinions and advice would be very much appreciated! I should say that my family consists of my husband, myself, and our 2.5 year old daughter. Now that she is getting older, I feel like we can start thinking about taking vacations and really want to be able to explore short weekend trips and longer vacation trips that have fun, active, interesting destinations - but we have no experience with what is possible, where to really start researching this, etc. Sorry to be overwhelming with all of my questions - really appreciate any feedback and experiences that you are willing to share, as well as any advice on "camping life" resources that may help us research what is possible, what to expect, etc.

Thank you!

Renting at home and drive down would give you a better feel if you like camping. I doubt it would come "fully furnished". You would have to get all your own supplies together. Mostly the rentals are Class C's. Do you have a vehicle that will tow a camper? I have seen some local dealers rent Travel Trailers.

We purchased our travel trailer when our kids were 1 and 4. So I don't really see any reason to wait a couple years to try camping if you're interested. We had the trailer for 5 years and had so many fun trips. We never did the fort with the trailer- didn't want to drive that far.
A good thing about having your own trailer is that the kids feel at home in the trailer more so than when in a hotel. They slept so much better in the camper than at a hotel. It's nice to be able to pack toys and things for the kids and it's all contained in the trailer.
My husband took care of all the hook ups, maintenance, etc. He's pretty handy with vehicles and around the house. There are books available that can help you learn some of the ins and outs of owning an RV.
Is there an RV show near you soon? That's a good way to explore different types of campers available and talk to people who know about camping.

kellygreenjenny,

Good for you. Yep, it's a major step getting an rv/trailer. I'll run a couple high-level considerations past you:

1. Whatever you choose, where will you store it? Do you live in a rural area or the suburbs? Are there storage options around you? How much is it per month?
2. What vehicles do you currently have? Do you have a truck that can pull a good sized trailer? A vehicle that can be towed behind a Class C? Or will a trailer choice also trigger a new-to-you truck expense as well? Or a different toad?
3. How do you think you will use it? Go to the same 3-4 spots or will every trip be a nearly new destination?

Renting before buying is a great choice. Also, since you are in North Carolina, you might want to catch an RV/camper show near you-they start after Christmas through the spring. Google says there is one coming up in Raleigh the last weekend of February. Go to the shows and walk into as many units as you can and try to get a feel for what types of floorplans and units you like.

We started tent camping and got a popup and now I am on my second popup. I call my camper my condo at the beach, my cabin in the woods, and my DVC at Disney. With over 200 nights camping, the units have paid for themselves with lower campsite costs and a kitchen/fridge setup that lets us skip eating in restaurants if we want to save money. We like going on vacation and still being able to sleep in our "own" beds.

Bama Ed

PS - for the Fort, you can rent a trailer from a Florida vendor, rent a Class C and drive it from NC, or rent one around Orlando and drive it to the Fort (shorter distance = less mileage charges [but also less experience behind the wheel]). CruiseAmerica has a location near WDW to rent Class C's (various fees apply). All I'm saying is you have options to try-before-you-buy.

thanks everyone, these are helpful thoughts. DH is going to have to get a new truck by the end of the year, so we are considering towing ability in what he looks at. going to an RV show is a great idea, we will look into that.

Is camping with an rv at FW a representative sample of what other campgrounds are like? Or is it head and shoulders above other options ? I feel pretty certain that it would be a great way to experience WDW, but i'm not sure how effective of a test run it would be - are there any non-Disney resources like these forums, that are focused on rv'ing/camping that you use and find reliable?

thanks!

The Fort is the best campground we've been to and we've been to campgrounds all over the country, the others just don't compare. That's okay though, we enjoy camping and mostly stick to state and federal parks. The things about the Fort that are different from other campgrounds is the activities, the cleanliness of the comfort stations, the beautiful sites and my kids favorite is the wi-fi. My teenagers used to love camping but not so much now but they love going to Disney. They are just camped out, we've camped for practically every vacation the last 18 years. And now my husband and I tow the trailer a couple hours away on the weekends and if the kids want to join us that's great, if not they can stay home and watch the animals.

Camping though can be a great way to vacation economically. Yes it's pricey to tow but flying and hotels are pricey too.

my family consists of my husband, myself, and our 2.5 year old daughter. Now that she is getting older, I feel like we can start thinking about taking vacations and really want to be able to explore short weekend trips and longer vacation trips that have fun, active, interesting destinations

1) WOW!
2) Great advance planning!
3) As other campers (such as Fort Friends) have found, a wonderful way to bond with family, and new friends.
4) Hubby doesn't camp, but your idea of renting a camper locally is a wonderful way to indoctrinate him.
5) I am sure he will fall in love with camping at The Fort.
. . . at no other WDW resort can one meet so many people and make long-term friends
. . . some folks when camping at WDW, never even go to the parks, since the campground is so much fun
. . . until folks experience The Fort, they don't see how much fun Disney can be

kellygreenjenny,
If you look for my post ( Travel Trailer Rental) it is about a person who rents his Trailer at the Fort. My family and friends have used his Trailer many times, he is great to deal with and gives personalized service. His Trailer is only 2 years old and looks brand new inside and out. It is always very clean and he sets it up on your arrival day and takes it away on your departure day. Everything needed comes with the Trailer for your stay except food and personal items. Basically you arrive and start your vacation and you don't have to worry about the Trailer.
Good luck in your trip and I know whatever you do you will have a great time at the Fort, it really is like no other place anywhere.

kellygreenjenny,
If you look for my post ( Travel Trailer Rental) it is about a person who rents his Trailer at the Fort. My family and friends have used his Trailer many times, he is great to deal with and gives personalized service. His Trailer is only 2 years old and looks brand new inside and out. It is always very clean and he sets it up on your arrival day and takes it away on your departure day. Everything needed comes with the Trailer for your stay except food and personal items. Basically you arrive and start your vacation and you don't have to worry about the Trailer.
Good luck in your trip and I know whatever you do you will have a great time at the Fort, it really is like no other place anywhere.

Can you help me find this post? I've done some searching, and see it mentioned several times. Just can't find it!
TIA!

Can you help me find this post? I've done some searching, and see it mentioned several times. Just can't find it!
TIA!

It is no longer available for viewing. Along with a few other threads.

Bama Ed

JennyKellyGreen Welcome to a great forum dedicated to a great place. As to your last question i agree with 5Kidsmommy
Ft W is the premier CG i have ever been to. Others are nice some have fantastic amenities but somehow fall short. We have local favorites that we frequent often some for themed weekends some just to go away for a few days. But lets face it 125 miles from home is a lot easier to travel than 975.
I would very strongly consider you talking with friends and family that camp and draw from their experiences. Some CG's around here offer rental units on site and that might be a good thing for you to consider as try out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter