HDDR, Mama Melrose, Tusker House

sharona

DIS Veteran
HDDR - this was a lot of fun. They were very accommodating in allowing us to change our original booking on the day of when DD was not feeling too good. The only other availability they had that fit our schedule was a cat3 for the late seating later in the week. We decided to give it a try despite the late start time. I'm glad we did. They even refunded my cc the difference which I didn't expect. We all had a blast. The cat3 seats for the late show were on flr1 and we never felt like we were out of the action. We took the boat over from MK and watched Wishes from the beach at FW. Walked up to Pioneer Hall and they were just starting to seat people. The fried chicken was tasty and the rest of the food was just ok - but that's not really why you're there... Service was friendly and efficient. Our server even got DD a plate of mac & cheese when he noticed she wasn't eating the chicken.

Tusker House - character breakfast - The food here is really top notch for a breakfast buffet. The carved ham was great, the waffles were hot, the oatmeal was delicious and the pastries and fruit were fresh. Character interaction was really not much more than a few poses for photos and the conga line dance. I think there's not much more you can expect from the non talking characters. There was a cute exchange between Daisy and her handler where she was acting all difficult and Diva-ish and she did come over and pull DD into the dance which was appreciated as she was hanging back feeling a bit shy. The one caveat here is that it's tough to go walking through AK in the heat after eating a big breakfast. We grabbed a FP for KS before checking in and we were able to ride right after breakfast but I still felt overly full hours later!

Mama Melrose F! package - our "dinner" reservation was at 3:45PM. It was nice to get inside out of the heat and you could tell they were busy. Our server was nice and helpful. The food was not bad. We enjoyed the minestrone soup and the mozzarella and tomato apps. Chicken parm was the choice for entree and it was good. DD just had pasta w/ butter since she is currently on a no sauce kick. For dessert we had the pannacotta. I didn't care for that one. When we booked this F! was only offered 2 times during our 7 nights there. They ended up adding additional shows for almost every night and a 2nd show on our night. We probably would not have had a problem getting into the 9pm show w/out the package. It was definitely at capacity but not until about 15 minutes before start time. It had rained after dinner and clouds were threatening again but it didn't rain. That may have kept the crowd down until the last minute.

Pop food court (Everything Pop) - loved the Pop waffle and the brownie w/ the frosting. DD enjoyed the pizza but to me it was more like something you'd get at your local hockey rink. The chicken fingers (adult not the kids nuggets) were good too. Service was usually quick but it's difficult to get everyone hot food if you're eating from the different sections. We never had a problem finding a table but we were there either really early AM or mid day after lunch/before dinner. Having the gift shop be part of the food court is genius marketing. It cost me some extra $$ for sure.

AKL food court (Mara) - small and crowded the times we were in there but I know we happened to be there during peak time in the AM and when the pool closed during a shower at lunch time so not unexpected. Food was good but the variety would get to me if I had to eat there more than a few times. The much touted zebra domes were a disappointment.

CS in the parks - Cosmic Rays rotisserie chicken was tasty and the burgers and dogs were good. Sunshine Seasons had some of the best muffins and rolls we had all week. Main St. Bakery - cinnamon rolls were as good as remembered. Main St. Ice Cream was a great treat to enjoy on the walk out to the bus!

We didn't have the DDP so we ate whenever/wherever and we did have a few meals outside the World. Sea Wold Spice Mill (?) restaurant was good. Outback was familiar and is DDs favorite. Flippers pizza was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter