Has anyone used RCI in NYC or should we pay cash for a hotel? Any other suggestions on what to do in

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
We have never been to NYC and wish to soon. Thought maybe using DVC points for NYC. Has anyone used RCI? What is the point cost? What hotels are available?

Should we just use cash reservations? Stay in city or take train?
What shows do you suggest?
Where to eat.
Can we take sub or train, etc to Coney Island?

Suggestions please

You can take a couple of different subways to Coney Island. Will probably take you about an hour to get there from Manhattan

Aladdin on broadway was amazing.

You should Look into the New York pass to save money on tourist attractions.

Does it tell you what hotel you would be at if you did RCI? If it is Marriott Times Square and you aren't planning a Disney vacation with those points anyways then definitely just use the points (unless you want to rent and then pay cash). If they are putting you in one of the outer boroughs or up in Harlem/Innwood then don't use the points.

I always suggest stay in the city. The last thing you'd want while sight seeing is to be stuck with the rail line schedules. If you stay in Jersey or West Chester or Long Island you are stuck with last train out at about 2 am. So if you wanted a later night you would have to constantly watch the clock. Also the trains only run frequently during the rush hours. After that some lines have 1 or 2 an hour.

Subway can get you almost anywhere so prioritize a hotel close to a subway. The red line (1/2/3), blue (A/CE/) and yellow (N/R/Q/W) are good lines to get to tourist areas quickly. Green line is on the east side and not much help. There are several hotels with in walking distance of all 3 lines if you stay somewhere between Flatiron and Columbus circle (23 to about 60).

All you have to do to check out Rci points for various hotels is to go to their web site via the dvc site. However regardless of how many points you use there is still an exchange fee of about $100 so unless you are staying several days it doesn't seem like a good value to use points. You can often find great deals on hotel rooms thru Expedia or booking.com. Or go thru airbnb or HomeAway to look for rentals.

If you want to do theater I'd suggest staying in theater district or somewhere close to subway that will take you there. Just look on a number of web sites to see shows playing or get a New York Times. There is a hot tix place in Times Square where you can buy discounted theater tickets.

The subway is easy, reasonably clean and safe.

Take a boat ride around manhatten. A great way to see the city. Take a hop on hop off bus around. Visit the metropolitan museum, the frock, the Guggenheim...all amazing.

I'd second the advice for the New York Pass with the hop on/off bus added for a couple of days. The boat tour mentioned above is one of the many attractions included in the pass.

As far as a hotel, at the RCI site and compare the value of the points to paying cash using a discount code or going through Hotwire. Usually paying cash will be cheaper.

If you're going to the theater you can buy discount tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square or at the South Seaport, but the most popular shows are not available (including the Disney shows.)

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

We have never been to NYC and wish to soon. Thought maybe using DVC points for NYC. Has anyone used RCI? What is the point cost? What hotels are available?

Where to eat.

Suggestions please

RCI has several properties in NYC. The Manhattan Club and Hilton are two that come to mind. You can also stay at the Le Parker Meridien(Concierge Collection). Where you stay largely depends on what part of Manhattan you want to be in. Do you want to be near Central Park, Times Square, or Chelsea Pier? Wherever you choose to stay, you can walk, take the subway, or taxi etc. anywhere you need to go. The NYC RCI properties can be difficult to book because they are so popular. You may want to check the DVC RCI website daily for the properties and dates you want. If you decide to stay in a hotel, just research the hotel to make sure it is up to your standards and is what you want to pay. Staying in NJ is always an option, but you have to weigh any cost savings with the time it takes to commute in and how often the trains run. I did that commute often when I lived in NJ and came into NYC for shows, etc(the train takes you into Penn Station(34th street) right across from Macy's and next to Madison Square Gardens). Although it was an easy commute, I did have to know the train schedules so that I knew what time parameters I needed to adhere to. Also, some of the train stations in NJ are just open air platforms(something to keep in mind).

I stayed at the Manhattan Club when I did the ABD NYC trip and loved it. I had planned to book it through RCI so I was excited when I learned that was where the ABD was staying. It was close to Central Park and there were so many fast food and regular restaurants near the hotel that it was easy to find somewhere to eat for the meals that weren't included. There was also a grocery store a block away. The only thing I didn't like about the Manhattan Club was the $300 deposit we had to put down when we checked in. It would have been nice to know about that charge ahead of time.

The RCI exchange fee is only $95. Whether you use your points for the stay is purely a personal decision. I use my points for everything (DCL, ABD, DVC, RCI)--that's why I bought them. Decide what is best for you and enjoy! If you haven't already done so, check out the Tripadvisor reviews for the places you are interested in and restaurants you want to eat in. I always start there when planning a trip.

Where to eat.

Suggestions please
RCI has just the 2 now, studios and 1BR. I think there are only 4 timeshares but a couple of hotels that interface with the timeshare system. Points will vary with the villa size but around 134-160 for a week if available. If it's available this is likely a good value given the cash costs but you should compare to be sure. Also, you'll need a backup plan unless you can adjust to the availability.

Sometimes there will be availability at, the manhattan club, the Hilton club of New York and Hilton west 57th street.

I know that for at least the Hilton club RCI and DVC made some sort of agreement so there should be availability right now.

The 95$ exchange fee is also waived this year, at least that's was I read.

It's up to you to decide if 160 DVC points is worth it.

For comparison Hilton charges 2,400 points for a week in a studio in NYC through RCI. For my vegas Hilton I paid 590$ in MF this year for 6200 points so I could book approx 2.5 week for that cost. I know it's comparing apples and bananas but I hope you get the idea anyway.

I would recommend you rented your points and used the cash to rent some hgvc points or paid cash with Hilton (maybe not that cost effective)

Hilton points rents at 0.20-0.25 per point. So you are looking at 480$ - 600$ plus booking fee and gc.

Only caveat is that Hilton deposits new units in RCI daily but approx 10months in advance. Currently we are looking at the earliest exchange in November 2017. If that's not a problem then you can work around it. Remember only studios at hiltons are available through RCI this also goes for RCI through DVC. At the manhattan club you can book a 1br. At the manhattan club they have a RCI resort fee of 53$ per day.

How do I find the Hilton on our DVC site? I am interested in one night before a DCL cruise out of NYC in November.

How do I find the Hilton on our DVC site? I am interested in one night before a DCL cruise out of NYC in November.

The availability that is available to DVC owners is iirc only entire weeks and not single days. Normally one could book a minimum of 3 days at the Hilton club or west 57th street.

When you are on RCI just search for "New York city" that will give you some hits, see if either the Hilton club or west 57th street are available. Maybe also the regular RCI inventory is there for DVC owners.

The availability that is available to DVC owners is iirc only entire weeks and not single days. Normally one could book a minimum of 3 days at the Hilton club or west 57th street.

When you are on RCI just search for "New York city" that will give you some hits, see if either the Hilton club or west 57th street are available. Maybe also the regular RCI inventory is there for DVC owners.
Ok...I think Tom will use his Marriott points, because he can get 2 nights in a Marriott.

Hotel points can be good to use in NYC.

If the traveler has Marriott Vacation Club points they can try:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
33 West 37th Street New York, New York 10018

If there are Marriott Rewards Points to burn:
JW Marriott Essex House New York (A former St Regis)
160 Central Park South New York, New York 10019

If you're trying to conserve Marriott Rewards:
Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
170 Broadway New York, New York 10007
This is near many subway lines and has breakfast

All you have to do to check out Rci points for various hotels is to go to their web site via the dvc site. However regardless of how many points you use there is still an exchange fee of about $100 so unless you are staying several days it doesn't seem like a good value to use points. You can often find great deals on hotel rooms thru Expedia or booking.com. Or go thru airbnb or HomeAway to look for rentals.

If you want to do theater I'd suggest staying in theater district or somewhere close to subway that will take you there. Just look on a number of web sites to see shows playing or get a New York Times. There is a hot tix place in Times Square where you can buy discounted theater tickets.

The subway is easy, reasonably clean and safe.

Take a boat ride around manhatten. A great way to see the city. Take a hop on hop off bus around. Visit the metropolitan museum, the frock, the Guggenheim...all amazing.

You can waive your fee in 2017 http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option...e-remains-waived&catid=29:policies&Itemid=684

Both the Hilton and Manhattan club deposit less than a week at times though the dates may not work out.

NYC local here - I suggest staying at the Park Lane Hotel. While slightly dated, it's the best deal in NYC hands down. Directly on Central Park, two doors down from The Plaza at 1/4 the cost.

For first time visitors I suggest eating at The Standard Grill and The Smith (multiple locations)

Hotel points can be good to use in NYC.

If the traveler has Marriott Vacation Club points they can try:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
33 West 37th Street New York, New York 10018

If there are Marriott Rewards Points to burn:
JW Marriott Essex House New York (A former St Regis)
160 Central Park South New York, New York 10019

If you're trying to conserve Marriott Rewards:
Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
170 Broadway New York, New York 10007
This is near many subway lines and has breakfast
Thanks for the Residence In suggestion. I want to be near George Washington 's inauguration site. We'll probably stay there before November's cruise. Fewer points than others we looked at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!