• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout

Now, I'm going to be honest here: do I think this is a good idea? not necessarily. Do I think it makes sense? Potentially yes, future plans may call for a change of the whole area. I'm not really angry or happy about the news. I'm deeply saddened by the fact that ToT will not survive, but DHS' remains the best version of this ride, so as long as that survives, I'm not that concerned.

I hear you, people will have very mixed opinions about this, but the social media meltdown going on at the moment is just too much.

Okay, I have only ridden the DHS one and its a great attraction. The DCA only goes up and down, the DHS one, the elevators actually move through the building before dropping.

The DCA one also has a different narrator, which was kind of jarring.

Plus the $14B to get Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel. Hardly cheap - those are serious investments.
That's 14 billion wasn't spent on the parks though. Those were definitely good investments but look at it from a parks fan perspective. What major things have WDW gotten in the last 10 years?

New fantasyland 2014
TSMM 2008
Everest 2006
Anything else? That's a pretty short list...

DLR hasn't gotten anything major in DL since Indiana Jones which was in the 80s... DCA was given a ton of stuff because the park was failing terribly and needed it.

I agree that 2017 sounds ambitious. I guess they can change the entire theme rather quickly. The ride itself is already there. Also, they knew the reaction this would get, so they probably want to get it over with as fast as possible.

That's 14 billion wasn't spent on the parks though. Those were definitely good investments but look at it from a parks fan perspective. What major things have WDW gotten in the last 10 years?

New fantasyland 2014
TSMM 2008
Everest 2006

DLR hasn't gotten anything major in DL since Indiana Jones which was in the 80s... DCA was given a ton of stuff because the park was failing terribly and needed it.
Sorry to correct you, but Indiana Jones Adventure was actually 1995.

Remember, Disney had the ENTIRE catalog of Marvel properties available to them for DL and DCA...they could have made anything with Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, all of the Avengers together...but instead they make a crappy overlay to a more obscure (relatively) Marvel movie that's less family friendly.

I feel like ALL of this is because they wanted to use the same thing at WDW, and even though it seems the WDW TOT project is dead, they're STILL going along with this for DCA instead of making a real attraction that people would like and have good impressions about.

Yes, they may eventually put other Marvel properties in, but this seems like a very wrong first step.

Execrable decision. This is so blatantly fixated on synergy with their latest pet franchise, without giving the slightest consideration to the people who actually go to their theme parks. The Disney suits are so hopelessly out of touch; all they see are box office numbers and all they hear are the meaningless buzzwords spouted by their Harvard MBA hirelings.

I suppose they're just going to plow ahead with this atrocity, no matter how negative the reaction on social media. The suits live in a bubble of corporate jets, meetings and corner offices. They're allergic to actually visiting the parks for which they make decisions. Isn't it time they woke up and smelled the backlash?

New fantasyland 2014
TSMM 2008
Everest 2006

I understand your frustration. I live close to Cedar Point. They literally have at least 1 new ride every year. There is always a reason to go back. However, they close for the winter season and lack in every area that isn't thrill rides. WDW does have a lot of new renovations coming up. Avatar, Toy Story and Star Wars will be significant changes to the park. I just wish it was Avatar: The Last Airbender. I would go nuts for an Air nomad temple instead of the Pandora forest. Curse you Nickelodeon for having that one under your umbrella.

I understand your frustration. I live close to Cedar Point. They literally have at least 1 new ride every year. There is always a reason to go back. However, they close for the winter season and lack in every area that isn't thrill rides. WDW does have a lot of new renovations coming up. Avatar, Toy Story and Star Wars will be significant changes to the park. I just wish it was Avatar: The Last Airbender. I would go nuts for an Air nomad temple instead of the Pandora forest. Curse you Nickelodeon for having that one under your umbrella.
I'd die and go to heaven if there was an A:TLA theme park!

Completely disagree. A majority of people who go to Disney are not first timers. They go on vacations with family and they pass it on to their kids etc etc. Based on all the negative reaction I have seen, not only on this board, but on their own twitter, Facebook, and basically any other website that posted about it, it should lead someone to believe that a majority of people dislike the move.

" Give it some time and many of the people who frequent the park won't even know that it used to be a different ride " is an insane statement to me. TOT is an iconic ride and one of the most beloved rides in Disney. Disney is financed by the " die hards " who pay all the money to go, even though Disney does things we don't like sometimes.

To me, this is Disney stupidity because there is no way that in the meeting to discuss doing this, that they didn't believe they would see a massive backlash from people who visit the park. Thats the point. They did it knowing it would piss a lot of people off, but in the end, they care about one thing. MONEY.

Disney fans are on a short leash right now from all the increases they have been doing, and they shouldn't do even more things to break the straw on the camels back.
We just don't agree, but I think history is on my side. People move on. Period. If that wasn't the case, you'd have had an exodus when they rethemed or removed any number of rides. Yet attendance increases over time.

There's how one might feel, and then there are facts. The latter are on my side here.

Last edited:
Ok, but you don't take out one of the most loved rides in the parks to do something with it.
I don't think the DL version is so loved. It's certainly not nearly the attraction the one in WDW is.

And regardless... this too shall pass, despite the short-term social media melodrama.

Last edited:
I actually prefer DL's version but I think I'm in the minority. DL's is the same as the DLP version. Tokyo has the far superior version of them all as it is an independent very strong story. (Let's not forget there are other worldwide parks people)

I'm actually gutted by this news as ToT is my favourite attraction by far. I worry by theming it to a film/universe is the first step in removing those unique backstory attractions and making everything about characters and films. I really think this will be another case of let's stop having unique things in each park and replicate everything. I'll be in the Asian parks the next few years now, particularly in Tokyo, where all this money grabbing, changing things for the worse (just in my opinion of course) and shoehorning Frozen into everything has not reached.

I really think this will be another case of let's stop having unique things in each park and replicate everything.
I don't understand this thinking as it relates to this decision, though.

This will make DL's attraction DIFFERENT, rather than a copy of WDW's...

Are you assuming they'll transform every ToT to GotG??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter