Group Costume 2025 MW Thread

Which race day(s) are you interested in group costumes? (up to two choices)

• Total voters
How funny, I was just taking pictures of Small World characters this weekend and thinking about how to make some of them into a race costume. So I guess that's my vote, although I'm ok with whatever. But this gives people lots of flexibility to go all out if they want, or to keep it simple and still hit the theme.

I can’t decide which one I like best! I love the small world idea because it’s my favorite ride, but it might be too complicated for me to come up with something. I love the Mouseketeer and flag shirts too though!

It's Monday (already?) and of the 8 people who initially voted that they were interested in costuming for the HM, I have votes from 5. There were a few "I'm OK with whatever" votes, but as of right now the solid leader is It's A Small World characters.

As someone who is "not allowed" to ride IASW (because no one else in my family will ride it) this is definitely one that would need some thinking/planning to pull off as an easy-to-run-in idea. Does anyone have a good source for pics of the characters other than a random google search (which gives me pics of a doll series they did.)

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/It's_a_Small_World#Magic_Kingdom

This site seems to have some decent photos, although a lot of them are from Disneyland where they've added Disney movie characters to the ride.

If I get time today I can put the videos I took on youtube and link them here. I was more focused on the animals but I have a few with the people too. But... just looking now, there are full ridethroughs on youtube already so my little snippits may not be worth much.

And for those who were interested in being penguins, there are Small World penguins wearing cute little hats!

I'll keep digging.

I also had a hard time finding source images, but the youtube ride-thrus aren't bad. The first character that came to mind was one I remember from my childhood -- the leopard holding the umbrella. Seriously considering that if I can simplify it enough.

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 12.31.38 PM.png

There are also lots of clock-themed and facade-themed costumes which I think work with WDW just as well. There are lots of options that aren't "people" and I do think there are openings for @Mr_Incr3dible and other IASW haters to have fun with it too (like the Scar shirt).

Last edited:
I had no idea they had started including regular Disney characters.

I'm still chuckling over the one photo showing a guy in a suit, tie, and hat and well-dressed ladies boarding.
1. How old is that photo?
2. They are as heck aren't in DW in the summer dressed like that!

Not in all of them. WDW has no Disney characters. They put them in at Disneyland and Hong Kong (possibly others but I can't recall off the top of my head) maybe 10ish years ago? Super cute.
California, Hong Kong & Tokyo there was speculation Florida would of got them for WDW 50th but pandemic happened and things got cut

And they have some different character scenes depending on the park

Also the new finale of msep which ran briefly in 2022 was inspired by them

Well I think I found my idea for the HM for an IASW theme....there's a shirt on etsy that took the "good bye" room, where there are signs that say that in all of the different languages, but they changed it to "run." I just need to make sure that the shirt is suitable fabric to run in....

As far as ideas go for others....there are the gondoliers (there are acutally quite a few characters with horizontally striped shirts that could be super easy), the cowboys, the cancan girls, the hula girls. SOMEONE needs to figure out how to pull off the winking/lazy eyed hippo. The "jungle" room could be an easy way to recycle a Lion King or animal print costume. A cactus playing a guitar?! The tiki-style drummers (especially the one with the weird white/cone shark head.)

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Swedish band members. Everything except for the vest is simple; yellow shorts, a white running shirt, and perhaps a red stocking cap / beanie.

View attachment 855870
YES! I wonder if one of the VIP tour guide costumes could be subbed for that, and then you'd have a vest printed onto the shirt (but the "wrong" pattern on the vest.) And I see people running the marathon every year with some massive purple Dopey beanie, so somewhere out there someone makes hats that aren't atrocious to run in. ALSO, tell your daughter she needs to join in!

@nancipants did you have a specific shirt design in mind for the birthday idea? Or were you going to just give an etsy (or similar) person the text you wanted and have them come up with the design?

Thinking that a bend on your idea would be as whatever disney character of your choice (you had mentioned minnie earlier), while including the shirt/slogan. That could open things up a bit for anyone wanting to costume/bound as a certain character for the marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter