Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any date yet on when it will close? My family loved the GMR. My kids and myself always loved the Tarzan and Wizard of Oz section. Now I ride it with my grand kid and she loves the same area with Tarzan and Wizard of Oz. I'm hoping it will stay open long enough for us to ride one more time in August.

I don't think I would be sad if it closed. It's just tired. If they update it, I'm on board. But if it does get replaced, I hope it is in the similar theme to GMR involving movies in general

My DH and I went a few weeks ago and saw HS for the first time since they removed the Sorcerer's Hat. I was worried I was going to be super bummed about the change but we loved it! I think the Chinese Theatre is beautiful! The area looks so open and spacious. We LOVED the Star Wars fireworks display also. I hope whatever they do to refurb the ride inside the building will be great!

That's a tough one. My DS was introduced to some of the classics through that ride. I agree an update would be great but keep some the classics like Wizard of Oz. JMHO.

I'd like a re-imagining that focuses on Pixar films, sort of similar to Philharmagic. Not necessarily the songs but the way you visit the movies as part of the attractions story.

I agree, I think a overhaul would be nice, The Marry Poppins is good, but lets add some other of the movies that are classics for Disney, such as Bednobs and Broomsticks, They could put that in Cassablanca and do it like Nemo where they have screens with the fish dancing and the real charachters in the back. If they are going hollywood keep it hollywood but make it Disney, things like Pollyanna or Parent Trap. Introduce the kids to classic Disney real life movies we enjoyed during our youth.

I absolutely love the Great Movie Ride but agree with the sentiment it needs and update. So many scenes are out dated and so much more could be done to really make it shine. Hopefully this rumor isn't true; I think a park in need of rides could easily benefit from having both the Great Movie Ride and a ride starring Mickey.

I always thought there was so much they could do for this ride. For example, tweak the story line every few months without having to do major changes. I hope the next thing will be great.

I would be very sad if I don't get the change on rinding it. I'm probably going to WDW in september or april 2018 so I'm afraid I won't make it.

I have also read somewhere they want to change the name/theme of the park which would make the closing of TGMR logical.

Bummer....I love thrill rides and simulators as much as anyone, but a big part of the Disney "brand" and its legacy that always made it so different from six flags, uni and busch gardens was their ability to bring different flavors to the vacation experience - a mix of thrills with other calmer attractions that were charming and well-themed and would appeal to all ages - tots to great grandpas. Small World, The Great Movie Ride, Carousel of Progress...these added unique character to the parks.

Uni always focused heavily on rides, but Disney had that special ambiance that transcended individual E Ticket rides...they were about something much more.

No truer words have been spoken and many of us agree with you 100%.

So this is only a bit off topic - but we went to see the TCM airing of "Singing in the Rain" this weekend. Anytime I see a movie that's featured in the Great Movie Ride, I'm always amazed how poorly the movie is protrayed into the ride. Singing In The Rain is such a dynamic movie - and it's so tight. A lot of movie musicals drag on forever, even the good ones. (Did the Sound of Music really need to be 3 hours long?) Singing in the Rain runs a lean hour and forty minutes, tells a concise story using the songs, and has very little fat in it. (Though I admit the "Broadway Melody" number at the end does sag a bit.) Yet in the ride - it's Gene Kelly standing still hanging on a lamp-post. It gives you almost no feel for the actual movie, or even the actual scene.

6758.Gene_2D00_1.jpg

Seeing the movie spurs me to want them to change this ride so much. Not to a Mickey Mouse attraction but to a dynamic movie ride. Everyone complains about Universals over-reliance on screens, but I completely want to see them manage to incorporate ACTUAL SCENES from movies into a ride, while at the same time using a trackless ride system (watch a video from Mystic Manor for an example of what this entails). Then you watch Gene Kelly actually dance around...while you move around in your car. How great would that be!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

This is why the ONLY scene that works for me in the GMR is the Wizard of Oz scene - the only one that makes you feel like you are part of a movie, as opposed to being in a wax museum.
I wish I could like this more then 1x.

great idea and a kind of 'duhhhh' moment for a ride based on moving pictures.

I am one of the few who doesn't mind 'screen based' attractions. Does Unv maybe use them more then they should? Yes. But I believe there is a few places where screen-based can have a place in WDW and to that it would satisfy those of us who don't mind them. 1 or 2 rides per park is not too much that it would take away from the whole experience.

I wish the Mickey Mouse ride is actually good if they are going to replace this ride.

I think it needs an update. We went this last month and even the girl that had never been to Disney felt that was a one and done attraction. I love it, but it does need a refresher or even just gutted and started again. Hopefully with something related to the movies still since it would still be hosted in the Chinese theatre.

I love the Great Movie Ride and will be sorry to see it go. My favorite part is the Wizard of Oz set. The witch seems so lifelike! I hope it will not be a Star Wars theme attraction that replaces it. I hate Star Wars and it does not seem too "Disneyish."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter