• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Great Movie Ride and will be sorry to see it go. My favorite part is the Wizard of Oz set. The witch seems so lifelike! I hope it will not be a Star Wars theme attraction that replaces it. I hate Star Wars and it does not seem too "Disneyish."
With a whole new land being created for SW it's highly unlikely.

It's a ride that needs updating but not removing completely.

All they need to do is change some of the movies for more modern hits, maybe redo the themed sections (westerns and gangster films aren't hugely popular these days) and write a new script (at this point I can recite it pretty much word for word), but other than that the mechanics are fine and the theme matches the overall "movie studio" idea behind the park.

It would be a shame to remove every last vestige of what the park once was, especially as there are already so many changes currently being made.

All they need to do is change some of the movies for more modern hits, maybe redo the themed sections (westerns and gangster films aren't hugely popular these days) and write a new script (at this point I can recite it pretty much word for word), but other than that the mechanics are fine and the theme matches the overall "movie studio" idea behind the park.

It would be a shame to remove every last vestige of what the park once was, especially as there are already so many changes currently being made.
I totally agree GMR has always been a "must do" since back when MGM first opened.
They are slowly destroying DHS IMO
Makes me so sad and mad they are getting rid of GMR

As a lifelong lover of cinema, I've always appreciated this ride. However, during my last visit I did feel like it could do with an update. Just update the technology/change some of the sets, but keep the spirit of the ride, and I think it'd be great.

It was our longest wait in Hollywood Studios when we were there in November. This ride is a classic and one of my favorites. Sad to see it go.

I agree it would be great to give GMR an update though I would argue to keep the gangster and western scenes just because they aren't as popular now but are an important part of movie history

Plus Star Wars is basically a western is space more than sci-fi

I agree it would be great to give GMR an update though I would argue to keep the gangster and western scenes just because they aren't as popular now but are an important part of movie history

Plus Star Wars is basically a western is space more than sci-fi
Also the Wizard of Oz scene. The entire ride would be a meh if not for that scene. It's akin to the drop in Splash.

I brought my 75yo mother in law to WDW recently and while I had to forefoot a few rides due to timing and her health, I was gutted we missed this one (TSMM was down so the queue here was massive). It's just the kind of thing she would have loved. There are other things I'm disappointed she missed, but this is my one regret.

Yeah... I tend to think that the GMR just needs a thorough update and refurbishment. ...but with the park going in a different direction, maybe it will seem out of place in ten years if it is basically the same ride.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Was making Fast Pass selections for an upcomings trip and saw that the Great Movie Ride is now a Tier 1. When did that happen? It's been a walk-on for the past several trips.

Was making Fast Pass selections for an upcomings trip and saw that the Great Movie Ride is now a Tier 1. When did that happen? It's been a walk-on for the past several trips.
I'm not sure when your last visit was but it hasn't been a walk on in my visits for some time even prior to FP+. Since the intro of FP+ I believe that it has always been tier 1.

I'm not sure when your last visit was but it hasn't been a walk on in my visits for some time even prior to FP+. Since the intro of FP+ I believe that it has always been tier 1.
Our last visit was in February and September before that. Guess I just never noticed it before.

My only concern is that of others, why close GMR while so much is already shuttered? I get they are adding some new entertainment, but overall they are really closing a huge amount of this park, and all of it will be closed til 2018 earliest. There is simply not a ton to do at DHS once this closes. I almost wonder, and this is only MY speculation, if they plan to open all of this remotely to one time, and have one huge re-dedication or opening. I can't wait to see what is announced for 2018 - which we know will open TSL. This is supposed to be a 2 year project for GMR, so assume opening in 2019, same timing as SWL??

Guess that's two rides I have to say goodbye to in may (this and mission space)
Edit: oops I was wrong. Whenever I read the refurbishment I thought it was still 2016 so I thought mission space was closing for 13 months!!! Leaving my original edit for laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter