Grand Floridian DVC Info, Speculation, and Update Thread - Part 1!

:offtopic: Sorry if I am off topic, but I have seen Bill mention this a number of times. I just wanted to ask you Bill, how do we know this? Is it stated in our yearly dues breakdown? Just wondering, because I would agree with you that DVC dues should not be offsetting CL for Cash Guests.
I don't believe AKV dues are subsidizing the DRC cash guests who book CL rooms. That wouldn't be legal.

The cost of CL service is probably prorated between the AKL and the AKV DVC. Not sure if they use the number of rooms or the average occupancy of the rooms receiving CL service for the formula.

I think Bill meant that AKV owners' dues "subsidize" non-AKV DVC members who stay in those rooms. That doesn't bother me since few non-AKV owners ever get a CL reservation and it's no different than me paying higher dues at BWV even though many non-BWV owners stay there and enjoy the amenities but pay lower dues than I do.

I hope that they don't have CL, at least not the way they do now at Jambo. CL resort owners pay higher dues to provide CL to others staying there. Not a fair system IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

That statement is mostly incorrect.

Legally the AKL/AKV concierge lounge is part of DVC's holdings but owners do not pay the full cost of the lounge's operations. It's the inverse of many other shared amenities (like resort pools) which are NOT part of a DVC Condominium Association, yet owners pay their fair share of operating costs.

Like all aspects of member dues, the portion of paid for the concierge lounge is representative of the number of DVC owners who have access. With only 5 villas vs several dozen hotel rooms, owners pay a small fraction of the lounge's total operating costs.

That said, whatever amount owners DO pay for the lounge is spread over ALL AKV points. So even owners who never do--and never will--stay in a club level room end up paying something for the lounge's operation. In that sense, I agree it's not the fairest (?) setup which exists.

But to the typical AKV owner, we're talking a few pennies per year. Most owners pay far more in dues for amenities which they CHOOSE not to use like pools, Community Halls (including bonfires, outdoor movies, and other resort activity programs), buses, parking lots, DME, etc.

Hi everyone check out you tube to see the panoramic video that looks like it was taken on top of the new dvc building from this view you could see the castle:cool1:

That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!

That said, whatever amount owners DO pay for the lounge is spread over ALL AKV points. So even owners who never do--and never will--stay in a club level room end up paying something for the lounge's operation. In that sense, I agree it's not the fairest (?) setup which exists.
This was the same situation had they continued valet parking only the dollars would have been significantly larger and it would truly have been spread out over the many for the benefit of the few. To a degree, the owners at AKV who use the CL actually pay for it because it costs them more points which they pay the dues on. We'd have to see the actual accounting to know for sure but my guess is that the dues assigned to the additional points tied to the CL are enough to pay for the lounge and additional services like turndown. It may not be exact but I'm confident that the dues for AKV in general are not affected at all by the CL there. Ultimately I suspect the CL is paid for by the subset of people who use it from the additional dues from the extra points added to the system.

That statement is mostly incorrect.

Legally the AKL/AKV concierge lounge is part of DVC's holdings but owners do not pay the full cost of the lounge's operations. It's the inverse of many other shared amenities (like resort pools) which are NOT part of a DVC Condominium Association, yet owners pay their fair share of operating costs.

Like all aspects of member dues, the portion of paid for the concierge lounge is representative of the number of DVC owners who have access. With only 5 villas vs several dozen hotel rooms, owners pay a small fraction of the lounge's total operating costs.

But to the typical AKV owner, we're talking a few pennies per year. Most owners pay far more in dues for amenities which they CHOOSE not to use like pools, Community Halls (including bonfires, outdoor movies, and other resort activity programs), buses, parking lots, DME, etc.

Well then bring it on, Grand Floridian Club Level ;)

:offtopic: Sorry if I am off topic, but I have seen Bill mention this a number of times. I just wanted to ask you Bill, how do we know this? Is it stated in our yearly dues breakdown? Just wondering, because I would agree with you that DVC dues should not be offsetting CL for Cash Guests.

I would like to know this also...

This was the same situation had they continued valet parking only the dollars would have been significantly larger and it would truly have been spread out over the many for the benefit of the few. To a degree, the owners at AKV who use the CL actually pay for it because it costs them more points which they pay the dues on. We'd have to see the actual accounting to know for sure but my guess is that the dues assigned to the additional points tied to the CL are enough to pay for the lounge and additional services like turndown. It may not be exact but I'm confident that the dues for AKV in general are not affected at all by the CL there. Ultimately I suspect the CL is paid for by the subset of people who use it from the additional dues from the extra points added to the system.

I guess anything is possible but an SSR owner staying at CL at Jambo pays extra points for the privilege. Are you saying somehow Disney transfers the dues for those extra points from SSR to AKV?

And I was talking about DVC point stays not AKL cash stays. I know that Disney is suppose to transfer funds for DVC holdings used by business units other than the DVC but we don't get a break down and getting the info is difficult. When Lewis was in power I made a couple of requests for some detailed accounting info and I never got anywhere.

I would love to trust that Disney is on the up and up but the Aulani issue has me thinking.

I trusted the banking industry, investment companies, and Enron and look how that turned out. :scared1:

what is the Attic at BW?

Early on when BWV was announced, there was to be a "DVC Member's Only" area for viewing the EPCOT fireworks/Illuminations. It was to be called "The Attic".

When sales began, this area was separated from the resort itself and no longer a DVC perk. "The Attic" is there (near the JellyRolls area but not on the ground level), but is an area reserved for private events. It is a beautiful facility, but has never been used for any DVC events that I am aware of.

TOTWL lounge was announced in similar fashion and, to date, been kept as a DVC Member only facility - but is not truly part of the BLT resort (paid for and supported by BLT owner's dues). It could become a private (or public) facility at any time.

Stay Tuned! :)

Hi everyone check out you tube to see the panoramic video that looks like it was taken on top of the new dvc building from this view you could see the castle:cool1:

That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Not seeing it. Do you have the link?

Ah think I found it. Very nice to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-1FHRIrBnk

Here is a frame:

GFV6.jpg

GFV5.jpg

I guess anything is possible but an SSR owner staying at CL at Jambo pays extra points for the privilege. Are you saying somehow Disney transfers the dues for those extra points from SSR to AKV?

And I was talking about DVC point stays not AKL cash stays. I know that Disney is suppose to transfer funds for DVC holdings used by business units other than the DVC but we don't get a break down and getting the info is difficult. When Lewis was in power I made a couple of requests for some detailed accounting info and I never got anywhere.

I would love to trust that Disney is on the up and up but the Aulani issue has me thinking.

I trusted the banking industry, investment companies, and Enron and look how that turned out. :scared1:

Since most CL rooms to go owners there, I think the non owners really don't come into play very much. Think of it like the reason that BTL has lower fees, more points and also that those who plan to use the CL routinely buy the extra points. You're correct that it ultimately comes down to trust but the only options I see are to trust and play or to not trust and avoid the game or to get the lawyers involved. I expect that the dues on the extra points sold as a result of having the CL in the system are enough to cover the DVC portion, it really doesn't matter after that who uses it if that assumption is correct.

Thanks for the U-tube.

Anyone know what the big building with the crane that is going up as the video swings between WL and TTC

Thanks for the U-tube.

Anyone know what the big building with the crane that is going up as the video swings between WL and TTC
Four Seasons Hotel I believe, Eagle Pines area.

When I saw this video on you tube I was wondering what floor this was taken but I do think from the top floor you will be able to see the castle it really is a beautiful view from up there!!!!!!

IMO it looks like you can see roof tresses in the video. So unless there are rooms in the roof of VGF, then it appears you'll only see Space Mountain and the fireworks that appear over the roof of one of the other GF buildings. And if there are rooms in the roof only those rooms would see the Castle.

I'd plan a walk over to the Poly beach to watch to fireworks when we stay there.

IMO it looks like you can see roof tresses in the video. So unless there are rooms in the roof of VGF, then it appears you'll only see Space Mountain and the fireworks that appear over the roof of one of the other GF buildings. And if there are rooms in the roof only those rooms would see the Castle.

I'd plan a walk over to the Poly beach to watch to fireworks when we stay there.

Agree-appears to be right on the edge of the roof line, so if those small upper windows are just for show in the other buildings-most likely here as well?

GFV7.jpg

GFV5.jpg

SE appears over the POLY-kinda far away but still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter