Grand Californian Super Thread

I just returned from a wonderful visit to VGC, Nov 30 - Dec 5 :thumbsup2
Magically, the villa was ready at noon :wizard:
(Wednesday check in likely helped)

There was no renovation work currently being performed anywhere at GCH, work is likely suspended during the peak holiday season and will resume in January.

Renovation work for VGC appears to be complete, and photos are posted to the VGC superthread.
GCH rooms will have a more extensive renovation.

I took the Art of the Craft tour again (4th time), and learned about the renovation:
  • Bunk beds are being eliminated
  • More rooms with King beds and fold out sofa
  • All rooms with 2 Queen beds will also have a Daybed

We're headed back in June to get a second trip out of our APs from August and just had our waitlist come through for June 13-16 in a studio. We'll be traveling from June 10-16 so I added a waitlist for June 10-13 and 12-13 and am hoping we get lucky but I have a couple of back-up reservations in case they don't. I betting we got our first one because someone read about the construction and cancelled but since we spend very little time in the hotel we don't mind we just like that we get the EMH and won't have to shell out additional $$$ for hotel rooms (since our tickets and most of our flights are taken care of).

Here is the view we had last week. Room 4502 one bedroom villa. I can see why you love the one bedrooms so much Nonsuch. We loved it so much!
upload_2016-12-8_20-46-27.png
upload_2016-12-8_20-46-44.png

I'm contemplating booking at GCH for a September 2017 trip and had a few questions (apologies if some of these are on the thread, I looked through, but there are so many pages!):

1) Do all rooms have a balcony? I read somewhere that standard rooms did not, but have also read conflicting info.

2) What is the best room type to reserve for the hopes of being closest to the DCA entrance?

3) How successful are room requests? Specifically I NEED to have a king bed. This is my major concern with booking a GCH (or any on-site property) as I don't want to spend so much extra money to have to sleep either crammed on a queen with my hubby, or separate beds.

Thanks all!

1) Do all rooms have a balcony? I read somewhere that standard rooms did not, but have also read conflicting info.
Almost all rooms have balconies. 6 rooms (courtyard view) above the monorail beam lack balconies, although other rooms above the monorail do have balconies. 15 rooms are on the ground floor with small patios.
2) What is the best room type to reserve for the hopes of being closest to the DCA entrance?
A good room request is: "near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose".
Many rooms in this area are Premium View (park or pool) Club Level, that is the best (and most expensive) room type.
3) How successful are room requests? Specifically I NEED to have a king bed.
Historically (more than 5 years ago), we only received a king bed once out of about 6 visits. More recently, we have been getting a king bed. Friends have also received requested bed types, so GCH seems to be making bed assignments a priority.
Only list 2 adults on your reservation. More names will likely result in a room with 2 queen beds. Some guests will add names of friends staying at other hotels, to allow access to pools or EMH.

Almost all rooms have balconies. 6 rooms (courtyard view) above the monorail beam lack balconies, although other rooms above the monorail do have balconies. 15 rooms are on the ground floor with small patios.

A good room request is: "near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose".
Many rooms in this area are Premium View (park or pool) Club Level, that is the best (and most expensive) room type.

Historically (more than 5 years ago), we only received a king bed once out of about 6 visits. More recently, we have been getting a king bed. Friends have also received requested bed types, so GCH seems to be making bed assignments a priority.
Only list 2 adults on your reservation. More names will likely result in a room with 2 queen beds. Some guests will add names of friends staying at other hotels, to allow access to pools or EMH.

Many thanks! I appreciate the detailed response. Now I'm onto contemplating whether to fork out the extra bucks for concierge level...

:thanks:

Many thanks! I appreciate the detailed response. Now I'm onto contemplating whether to fork out the extra bucks for concierge level...

Unfortunately, the concierge lounge will be in a temporary location during your visit:
(from the Disney GCH site)
  • The Craftsman’s Club concierge lounge will be temporarily relocated from early August 2017 through early October 2017.
The temporary lounge should be quite functional (no word on where it will be), but perhaps not as nice as the Craftsman's Club.

Unfortunately, the concierge lounge will be in a temporary location during your visit:
(from the Disney GCH site)

The temporary lounge should be quite functional (no word on where it will be), but perhaps not as nice as the Craftsman's Club.
Oh good point! Thanks again.

I believe I read- possibly on his thread- that they were doing away with the bunk bed rooms during the current refurb and adding more king with daybed rooms.
That's correct. There will be more rooms with King beds and no rooms with Bunk beds. All rooms with 2 Queens will also have a Daybed. Rooms with King beds will also have a Sleeper Sofa, as they do now.

Nonsuch, did they indicate when all Bunk Beds would be gone? We,family of 5, are booked in for March/April 2017. At the time I did request Bunk Beds and the CM didn't mention anything about them disappearing. We really like those 3 beds(two bunks plus trundle) as our kids don't like sharing a queen anymore. I see the room refurbs should be done by fall 2017, so hopefully they'll still be some around in March.

Nonsuch, did they indicate when all Bunk Beds would be gone? We,family of 5, are booked in for March/April 2017. At the time I did request Bunk Beds and the CM didn't mention anything about them disappearing. We really like those 3 beds(two bunks plus trundle) as our kids don't like sharing a queen anymore. I see the room refurbs should be done by fall 2017, so hopefully they'll still be some around in March.
No detailed schedule has been released, but GCH room refurbishments have not started. Bunk Beds are spread throughout the hotel (unlike daybeds), so the availability of Bunk Beds will decrease over the course of the renovation. There will likely still be Bunk Beds available in March. If possible, check in early -- this helps with bed requests (and all requests).

Just wanted to say that we just returned from a 4 night stay at the GCVs and LOVED LOVED LOVED the resort. It was not only our first trip to DLR, but our first stay there and I can't possibly imagine staying anywhere else. No way! GREAT, comfortable beds! Such close access to the parks and DTD you just can't possibly go wrong. <3 For WDW vets just think of it like the AKL or WL. Just arts & crafts sale w/ a LOT of stained glasswork. <3 GORGEOUS! Our view was meh, but its OK. We were in room 4509.

Attachments

• ourviewatGCV.jpg
    ourviewatGCV.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 35
A HEARTY thank you to Nonsuch and everyone that made all the contributions to this thread that helps people like me truly able to prepare in the easiest way possible. And lets be honest, preparing for a Disney trip is ANYTHING but easy. :)

This is the request I made recently:
(arriving in 3 days, so fingers crossed :wizard:)

Prefer a high floor with Paradise Pier Park View.
The room order of preference is: 6502, 5508, 4508, 5502, 4502, 3508,
3502, 5514, 4514, 3514, 2522, 2508, 2502, 2514
These are all the 1 bedroom villas, excluding those on the ground floor or pool view.
Due to pool construction, you might want to eliminate x514.

Hey Nonsuch ..........
Sorry, forgot to ask ...........which room did you end up getting if your remember ?
We are about 3 weeks out now and going to call DVC MS to add some requests (and add my "grown" daughter to the reservation who decided to come along :D) .
Just wondering how you made out with the request ?
I will likely just request exactly what you have listed here ...... any updates ?

Thanks !

I've been seeing some things that that access will be restricted to the GCH during some of the construction and/or because of the new security checkpoints. Only people staying at the hotel/villas or with dining reservations will be let in. I don't know what timeframe this will cover, though. Would this change anyone's thoughts on staying at GCH vs. DLH in April? We originally picked GCH, but moved to DLH because of the construction. I don't know if the restricted access will be a good thing or a bad thing for GCH guests...

I've been seeing some things that that access will be restricted to the GCH during some of the construction and/or because of the new security checkpoints. Only people staying at the hotel/villas or with dining reservations will be let in. I don't know what timeframe this will cover, though. Would this change anyone's thoughts on staying at GCH vs. DLH in April? We originally picked GCH, but moved to DLH because of the construction. I don't know if the restricted access will be a good thing or a bad thing for GCH guests...

Restricted access due to security changes is likely a good thing for GCH. Restricted access due to construction is not. We're staying there in June, and I believe parts (all?) of Grand Lobby will be closed for renovation, which is probably not going to be a good thing, but the pools will probably be open by then.

From the security thread, all of the below fully copied from @ParkHopper1 (Thanks!)

http://www.disboards.com/threads/lo...y-check-in-place.3565716/page-4#post-56875945

What we know:

-GCH Front Door Entrance from Valet/Street: Restricted to GCH Guests and Reservation Holders only. No more walking through Grand for non GCH guests through the front door.
-GCH to DTD Entrance/Exit: No changes except addition of two metal detectors. Anyone can still come or go freely at any time, guests or not.
-GCH to DCA Entrance: GCH room keys still required before 11am (changed from all "resort guests"). PPH, DLH and other non GCH guests must use main gates before 11am to enter DCA. After 11am they are letting all through as usual. Policy is that it is only for GCH guests all day, practice is that they stop enforcing that at 11am. (but you can not still come in through the front door of the GCH)
-DCA to GCH Exit: Open to all to go into GCH, guests or not.

So if you are in the Parks or DTD, nothing has changed in regard to Grand access.

There are some other minor exclusions. Disney has said this may still all change and be modified but above is current operating procedure so far as I understand it.

...Sorry, forgot to ask ...........which room did you end up getting if your remember ?
I was in villa 5514, which faces redwood creek.
This villa is very quiet.

There might be many requests to face Paradise Pier, and this is the first on my list not facing that way.
Perhaps why I've received this villa (and 4514) several times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter