"Gone With the Wind" should go the way of the Confederate Flag

I don't think the flag should be banned. I don't know if it's "correct" in flying it over the state house though (leaning toward 'no', but not fully convinced).

Sam, you are absolutely right, it is not being banned. It's being removed from the capital arena which I have absolutely no problem with. It's no different than removing the manager scene off of public government buildings.

No slippery slope. anybody who wishes to cover their house and body in head to toe confederate flags may do so. You can go online and order a boat load of them.

In fact every site that I went to was sold out of them. Nothing like slippery slope hysteria to boost business.

Hasn't Disney already essentially done this with Song of the South?
Yes Disney no longer sells SOTS in the US, but I understand it is available in the UK so I guess their sensitivity stops at the waters edge. And they still sell Peter Pan complete with Injun references, dialect and red man/pale face comments intact.

Yes Disney no longer sells SOTS in the US, but I understand it is available in the UK so I guess their sensitivity stops at the waters edge. And they still sell Peter Pan complete with Injun references, dialect and red man/pale face comments intact.

Nope, different culture, different market.

I don't understand this mentality that anything questionable should be banned. You can't revise history, in fact it's better to always be reminded of that history.

As the saying goes: Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
Crazy Jim Jones had a sign in Guyana that read that.

I don't understand this mentality that anything questionable should be banned. You can't revise history, in fact it's better to always be reminded of that history.

As the saying goes: Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
Revised history is essentially what's caused most of this hysteria to begin with. It is said history is written by the winners and truth isn't always important in those matters.

Wow, so a crazy man having a sign like that makes it untrue? And people revising history makes it untrue? Is that what is being said?

Personally I'd rather remember those who suffered than pretend like they never existed. Plus I don't believe in censorship even when it involves horrible things.

ETA: I now get it that no one is necessarily saying that the previous saying is untrue. Sorry!

Last edited:
Wow, so a crazy man having a sign like that makes it untrue? And people revising history makes it untrue?

Personally I'd rather remember those who suffered than pretend like they never existed.

I was only pointing out JJ had one oddly and eerily enough. I never wrote the saying wasnt true.

I was only pointing out JJ had one oddly and eerily enough. I never wrote the saying wasnt true.
You're right, you never did. I've been arguing with someone about this elsewhere and misconstrued the meaning. I apologize. :)

The whole conversation about this tragedy is so insane... A guy shoots a bunch of people and instead of a frank discussion about gun culture we're rushing to ban flags and books/movies. But hey, it makes a good distraction. Maybe people will forget the one element all of these massacres have in common!

[QOUTE="Planogirl, post: 53922714, member: 14165"]You're right, you never did. I've been arguing with someone about this elsewhere and misconstrued the meaning. I apologize. :)[/QUOTE]

No worries.

The whole conversation about this tragedy is so insane... A guy shoots a bunch of people and instead of a frank discussion about gun culture we're rushing to ban flags and books/movies. But hey, it makes a good distraction. Maybe people will forget the one element all of these massacres have in common!

The one common element is EVIL. Whether it is a woman beheaded in an office in OK last Sept ( and another one having a narrow escape for her life ) or the 9 souls that perished in the church. A bomb, a gun, a plane, a knife, hell a sharp pen to someone's throat, doesn't matter the instrument used by the evil doer. Where there is a will there is a way.

California should just close down, because they had the most Jim Crow laws, their big issues were more of Native.American, Mexicans, and Asians.

Let's not forget the racist history of the Northeastern labor unions. Many of the trade unions were in DIRECT response to black workers coming North looking for work. The unions were a way to shut them out.

The homicide rate in our "gun culture" has been trending downward for 40+ years.

And as far as "massacres" are concerned, on a per capita basis, mass shootings are more common in Switzerland than the US.

California should just close down, because they had the most Jim Crow laws, their big issues were more of Native.American, Mexicans, and Asians.
I am not surprised. I used to have a neighbor who also had homes in Arizona and California. She went on a racist tirade one day about Hispanic workers who were working on our house. It was by far the worst attitude and language I have ever witnessed someone say out loud. And I have lived my entire life in the South and been around people who are not so great with with people who are different. I am even pretty sure one of my bosses was a member of the KKK (he kept a portrait of Nathaniel Bedford Forrest prominently displayed in his home) and he would never have said what my neighbor said.

I think the difference between a flag and a movie is huge.

For many people, the confederate flag signifies a glorification of the old south and the mentality of the old south (which slavery was a big part of). I know it means other things, but the slavery issue is a huge component of that. For many of the populace, it is a sensitive issue: which is probably why a government entity should think twice about flying it and using it to represent them.

A movie, OTOH, can have areas that have become insensitive, but it is historically accurate for the time it represents or was made. It doesn't push an agenda on anyone or represent anybody. You aren't forced to see it, buy it, and it doesn't rule you.

I think part of the reason that people are on the PC wagon about this is that there is some concern that *acceptance* of things that have to do with slavery or the degradation of minorities and thinking that all of those symbols are okay and "celebrated" may *possibly* foster acceptance of racism. Just my thoughts. Not sure I even agree with them!!

Removing the confederate battle flag from a memorial in one state is NOT the only thing going on. GWTW may never be removed from the market but if its pushed right now, I wouldn't be surprised.

Our state flag is in question too. If someone comes up with an acceptable design, fine, change it but our mayor removing it from city buildings before the legislature even begins the discussuion is beyond dumb and should be illegal.

Discussuion and possible removal of the flag from models and TOY cars is ridiculous.

To even begin discussion about changing the names of everything that may be named for any one from the confderacy or had anything to do with slavery is over the top. We will be changing the name of half our country. And that is besides the fact that somehow all those nothern slave owners get forgotten in that.

And I am sure that removal of confederate memorials will be close on the heels behind all the rest.

The confederate flag has been around a long time. Its not widely accepted as something to display EXCEPT at memorials. Yes the kkk uses it but they are not widely accepted either. The sad thing is, if all this keeps getting slammed down peoples throats there are some that may start listeining to them again. There has to be discussion and compromise for change not just ptb taking our choices from us.

Change can be good and most are not totally against it, what they are against is not being given a choice.

Mental Illness?

With all the talk about banning things, I think this quote is appropriate......

First they came for the fourth amendment,
and I did not speak out, because I didn't deal drugs.

They came for the fifth amendment,
and I was silent because I owned no property involved in crimes

They came for the sixth amendment,
and I did not protest because I was innocent.

They came for the second amendment,
and I said nothing because I didn't own a gun.

And then they came for the first amendment,
and I could say nothing at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter