• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going to Disney for Free!! A Disney Experiment!

I'm so jealous of your saving abilities. I cannot for the life of me figure out swagbucks and I'm still a little confused on shopkick (and forgetful). I do have checkout51 down perfectly and just requested $20! Ibotta seems to hate me recently though. I need to work on my couponing skills, but I admit I'm not really savvy enough to know what's a good deal and what isn't.

I have all of this motivation to be frugal and zero ability to apply it. Haha!

Thank you. I must admit that I wasn't as good at keeping track of my apps this last summer. If I had I probably would have a little more money then I do. But now that things have gotten better I have been much better at it. Especially the two apps I have that I scan products with. I work at Walmart so I have recently made it a habit to go around the store on my first break and get my points. I am planning of putting the apps I specifically use and how they work in the PTR soon to hopefully help those who would like to save a little on their next trip.

No time for haters, glad to see you are doing such an AWESOME job at saving for your trip!!!!!

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I agree. Time to start enjoying our Disney planning and since we have confirmed reservations we can really start planning!!

First of all let me apologize for not posting for a while.
I have been very busy with work and with only one computer in the house my kids often take over my computer.
But we have very good news on the vacation front I have very exciting news!!

We are officially booked!!
Our dates are August 12-18th

:yay::cool1::cheer2::banana::jumping1::dancer:party:
Now our dates are not the only thing that has changed. . .
Again!!
We have also changed our resort.
We are now staying at the
Port Orleans Riverside in a Royal Room

Basically the kids and I sat down and decided to choose a moderate because the kids wanted a Pool slide
And since I am getting more on my tax return then I thought we decided to treat ourselves.
Things have been a little crazy these last couple of weeks trying to get this straightened out
We had dates decided on when the friend we are going with remembered a family outing that she is doing this summer that might be a problem with the dates we choose.
But finally it was all straightened out and we booked our trip.
The day we booked also was our 180 day mark so we also made out dining reservations.
I am very happy with the reservations we made. A good mix of new and old for us.
We did decide to go with the dining plan so we just have to pay for one of the TS oop.
So without more delay her is our Dining plans.
Day One: 8 pm dinner at O'hana (we have had breakfast there but not dinner)

Day Two: 8:40 am breakfast at Crystal Palace (third time doing breakfast here)

Day Three: 6:10 pm dinner at Garden Grill (another new one for us)

Day Four: 9:40 breakfast at Tusker House (done this a couple times)

Day five: 6:40 pm Dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe (another first)

Day six: 6:45 pm dinner at Be Our Guest (did last trip and enjoyed it)

Day seven: 9am Breakfast at Boma

We also were able to choose our Magic Bands
which was quite exciting since the last time we went they were just being tested
Aidan chose Red with the nick name John Cena
Ameliya chose Blue with the nick name Cheshire
Liam chose the color Green with the nick name Spade
and I chose the color Purple with the nick name Belle
I know it is still a while before we get them but I am very excited about it.
So now on the savings side I am very excited to say that I have officially reached the $1000 mark.
I just spent the better part of an hour entering all my gift cards
No lets talk a little bit about the apps I use to help me save.
I am sure I have mentioned them here in my thread a couple of times but figured I can go a little more in depth so you too can save some money on your trip.
I think the best thing for me to do it to give each app it's own post.
I will start the first in just a couple of minute.

So here is my first post about the apps I am using to help me save for my trip. I figure I would post one a day or so that I do not overwhelm everyone. The first two will probably be ones you have heard about several times and that is why I am putting them together.

The first one is talked about often but it works so it is worth talking about. The taget red card. If you use your red card to buy Disney Gift cards you get 5% off. So you will pay only $95 dollars to buy a $100 gift card. So if you buy $1000 worth of gift cards you have already saved $50. How cool is that. Now the down size is you have to use the red card to get it so if you have a target gift card you will not get a discount on the amount you use to pay with that but there is a way to get around that. If you use the red card as your primary card on the Target web site it will let you get the discount even if you do not use the red card to pay for anything. So if you earn gift cards doing other things this is a way to save even more. You do need a voided check to sign up for the red card if you attach it to your bank account and be warned that it can take several days before the money is taken from your account.

Walmart Savings Catcher is the next app I like to use. For those of you who live under a rock, WSC lets you shop at Walmart and get money back for all the things that you could have bought cheaper at other stores in the area. The catch is that the store must have a online add and you need to use the saving at Walmart. I usually go through all the adds before shopping to see what is on sale at other stores. So if Coke is $1 off at Jewel then it might be the time to stock up. On average, doing this, I get back about $5 a week. I have also picked up receipts I find on the ground. I usually do not get to much back for them but every cent counts. Then when I get $25 back I transfer it to my blue bird card (a loadable Walmart debit card) and buy a Disney Gift Card with it. What could be easier then that. Matter of fact I just bought one with my savings catcher money yesterday.

I am impressed with your strategy!:worship: Now you have me inspired to look for things to sell and get back into my Walmart savings catcher. Good luck with the rest of your savings goals! :flower1:

I am impressed with your strategy!:worship: Now you have me inspired to look for things to sell and get back into my Walmart savings catcher. Good luck with the rest of your savings goals! :flower1:

Glad to hear that I have inspired you to come back to the Savings catcher. I hope that the other apps I use also helps you save some money for Disney.

Does the BlueBird card have a fee?
There is no fee for putting the Savings Catcher money on it. Not sure if you put other money on it. Of course when you put money from the savings catcher on it you can only spend that money at Walmart.

As promised, I wanted to talk a little bit more about some of the apps I use to help me save money. These next two apps that you earn points and can use those points to choose gift cards.

Shopkicks is an app that turn in points for gift cards. When you open the app you will see a list of stores to choose from. With each of the store you will see things you are able to do at those store. There are three things you can do to earn points but you may not have the option to do all of them with each store. You can earn walk in "kicks" for walking into certain stores. If you go to a certain store several times a week they will eventually stop these points and you will get more in a certain amount of weeks. You can also earn "kicks" for items listed. Usually about 25 kicks per item. You need to scan the specific item for the points so don't try to scan apple juice when it asks for grape juice. The last point to earn points is spending money. Many store offers you a certain amount of points per amount of money spent at store. You will need to enter your credit card number to earn these points. As of late they are also offering extra points for buying certain items that you scanned. You will need to scan the boxes upc and take a picture to earn these points. A good way to earn a lot of walk in kicks is buy going to the local mall and getting the points for the stores there. You can usually get a couple hundred doing this. Sometimes on the weekend the points go up. You can also earn a few points here and there by opening the products section of the app. Click open up each box and scroll to the bottom for a surprise gift which is an extra kick. There is also video in here ever once in a while that gives you 10 for watching them. There is usually at least one new product a day though there is no guarantee there is any extra kicks. Now when you get enough points for a gift card you simply cash it in. Most gift cards can be earned for 500 kicks for a $1 gift card. I am currently working on 6200 points for a $25 target gift card. I will then use it to order a Disney Gift Card online to save 5%.
Use this link to start shopkicks: http://get.shopkick.com/indio30673

Checkpoints is very similar to Shopkicks. You get points for scanning items at stores and turn them in for gift cards but other then that they are very different. First of all I have opened other stores in the area and regularly got points for those items listed in the store I am even though they are not listed at that store. I have also found that I can scan a product that does not always match the item list. An example is my Walmart does not have some of the Ball Park products that was recently on the list. I scan a product similar to it by ball park and was able to get those points. I don't always work though. If you scroll past the stores you will find some check in stores. All you need to do is click on these for 2 extra points. They change depending on where you are so check them regularly. You can only get so much before they tell you that you have reached the max points. If you find a yellow star by these check in points they count for 10 points and don't seem to count toward the max so grab these first. Also you will sometimes find a list saying plumber, doctors, ex. show up. Click on these and they will show some places around you that offer these services. If you click more and then check in you get 10 points. These seems to be showing up at about 10 am central time by me and can get about 5 or 6 before it stops you. Now you will need to let a little bit of time before getting more check in points. I usually count until 60 before clicking on the next one. Like the other one, once you earn enough points you can turn them in for a egift card to a store listed. I once again use it for a Target one.
Enter the code corrine1973 to earn points.

Well that is it for now. Hope this help earning a little extra money for Disney. Even if you don't use the gift cards for Disney you can still use them to buy items you need for your trip such as sun screen or a new outfit.

Until next time
This is just a plan
A Disney Plan

Hi there! Just read your whole PTR and wow! What a roller coaster of a ride! I'm very glad to see things are looking up and your trip is officially booked.
Your trip will be wonderful. Anyone who gives you a hard time about going is probably just jealous...and if they aren't then I feel sorry for them because they clearly know nothing about Disney and its magic.
My mom works at Walmart and always tells me about her Savings Catcher app!
I love your ADR selections.
Looking forward to more updates soon :)

Just joining in from Canada ! I wonder if these apps will work for me ? So excited to follow along !

Cheers- Nic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter