GKTW Online Event: Runners & walkers - how about a virtual 5k to benefit GKTW? 11/3

sanapunk

<font color=blue>Kahtkateer<br><font color=red>Me
I just signed up for this and came to the boards to see if we had a thread going of other DISers participating or if anyone from the team was going. Can't seem to find anything, is there an existing thread?

I'd so love to do this....If I lived in O-Town I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Maybe somebody could set up some kind of virtual 5k around the country, where everyone donates the money of the cost of the race to GKTW and then runs 3.1 miles on that day, wherever they live. There are lots of runners on Pete’s running team!

ETA: There is a virtual 5k option. I just have to figure out how we can make the money go through the DIS.

On Saturday, November 3, Give Kids the World will be hosting a Gingerbread Run 5k. I know a lot of us around the country are runners or walkers, so I thought a good way to help out would be to sign up for the “virtual” 5k. The cost of the race itself is $25, but it’s completely free to be a virtual runner, and very easy to raise some money.

If we get enough people, I would be happy to set up a little competition to see who can get the fastest time (honor system or Garmin results!) and/or the most money, with some cool prizes.

Here’s what you do:

Go to this page.

Click "register here".

Hit "register" and sign up as a virtual runner/walker

Fill out your information. When you're asked for a team, look for "Pete's Running team".

Then, you can start raising money, or just donate the cost of registration yourself.

Completely coincidentally, this Saturday is 9 weeks away from November 3rd, and the Couch to 5k running plan (designed to get you from NO physical activity at all to running a 5k) is also 9 weeks long. So newbies are completely welcome to sign up and join us.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

:thumbsup2 Excellent idea!
We are leaving for a quick WDW weekend in 30 minutes. When I get back (or maybe while I am there) I will sign up as a virtual walker! ;)
I wont be competing with anyone for time- but I will do my best to raise some cash!

Let's go Pete's Running Team!! :cheer2:

I'd be up for it! It just so happens that I'm suppose to do a 3 mile training run that day anyway for the 1/2 marathon training!

I love this idea! Count me in! It's always easier for me to drag myself to the gym when there's a new podcast!

Laurie

Awesome idea! I'm going to move this over to our sub-forum and add it to the list of events.

Now that we have an event going on (virtual run - I love this idea! ), I'm going to merge this with that thread so all of the information is in one place.:)

This is such a great idea! We just did a fundraiser for GKTW at work last week!

I will be running the RNR Savannah that day, so I would love to help out this cause as well. I will sign up when I get back from DL. Will definitely share so that hopefully many others will choose to participate! :goodvibes

Thanks for bringing the run to all of those that can't be there in person!

This is such a great idea! We just did a fundraiser for GKTW at work last week!

I will be running the RNR Savannah that day, so I would love to help out this cause as well. I will sign up when I get back from DL. Will definitely share so that hopefully many others will choose to participate! :goodvibes

Thanks for bringing the run to all of those that can't be there in person!

Sounds great. I've always wanted to run Savannah!

I just want to make sure I am doing this right...I registered as a part of "Pete's team" and there is only one other person on the team....?

I didnt realize this thread eventually got replies!! Lol! Im so excited for the race, only a few weeks left to train! I've been doing couch to 5k and love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter