GKTW Fundraisers - Q & A Thread

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!

162659_151768861542752_150604474992524_288466_6275792_n.jpg

Not sure how to get started organizing a GKTW fundraising event? Need some inspiration? Do you have something that worked for you that you'd like to share with others? This is the thread for you! Post your questions, ideas, and suggestions here and get feedback from others.

Wow, I’m glad this thread was just started, since I was working on this today…

I am hoping to have an event in (northern) Delaware sometime in March or April of 2012.

I am planning to have a Silent Auction with at least the following items:
Disney Pins
Star Tour / Star Wars action figures
Tron (new)
Disney Stuffed Animals
Lots of Disney Collectables from my personal collection

What other activities would do you think attendees would like to see / would make it more likely to attend. I’ve been thinking about an old-style Train Ride, bowling, screening of a Disney movie (new / classic?) or classic TV shows.

What other activities have had major draw power?

Have you done local advertizing / had “open to the general public” events vs. DisUnplugged-only events?

Have you used stock letters for requesting support from the local businesses? Which ones?

How have you gotten staff support (did you find that other Disers volunteered to assist)?

How many people did you have attend (I’m looking for low / high watermarks)?

Thank you for answers & suggestions.

Denise & James

Denise and James....how awesome that you want to put this together....the Virginia Meet just happened yesterday and it was a huge success. We had a wonderful time. We had over 50 people attend...it's good that you are getting started early as Melissa and I put this one together in just over 100 days. The starting point is to put out a post to state you intentions of having a meet...as people contact you, by all means get some help!!! The next step is to find a place and set the date. I will be very glad to give you ideas...just PM me.

My partner and I are thinking of creating our own fund raising walk for GKTW. Just a personal quest - we have not decided on the exact plan but we were thinking we could walk around the Epcot World Showcase repeatedly, maybe a certain number of laps and have our friends sponsor us.

The question is, how do I collect the donations? Is there a web site, where the payments can go directly to GKTW and we do not have to take posession of the actual cash. I have participated in fund raising events where the benefitiary provides a web site, where people can go and make their credit card or PayPal contributions directly to the foundation. I would prefer to do that, so that the money is clearly goign to GKTW. Then I could even post my fundraising page on this site and maybe other Dis'ers could donate against these efforts. I see FirstGiving site where you can create a fundraising page, is that a reputable site and how much do they take off the top?

Just wondering. Also, if I was able to create or find a way to do this on line, would the DIS help me promote this event and post the page? We are thinking of doing this during our next trip to Disney. Walk around the World 11 times for the 11 countries. I think that would be a pretty good walk, would come with it's own challenges, dodging strollers, etc. Still have to do my research on the distance around the Worlds. Maybe we would have to do something silly like each lap we buy a pin at at a different country and wear it on our hats.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Helen

I'm sure that you could have people go right to the Power of 10 site to make donations.

.............you could also take a little drive north say around August 11 and come to our meet in Nova Scotia!!!!!

Good luck with your fundraising.

My partner and I are thinking of creating our own fund raising walk for GKTW. Just a personal quest - we have not decided on the exact plan but we were thinking we could walk around the Epcot World Showcase repeatedly, maybe a certain number of laps and have our friends sponsor us.

The question is, how do I collect the donations? Is there a web site, where the payments can go directly to GKTW and we do not have to take posession of the actual cash. I have participated in fund raising events where the benefitiary provides a web site, where people can go and make their credit card or PayPal contributions directly to the foundation. I would prefer to do that, so that the money is clearly goign to GKTW. Then I could even post my fundraising page on this site and maybe other Dis'ers could donate against these efforts. I see FirstGiving site where you can create a fundraising page, is that a reputable site and how much do they take off the top?

Just wondering. Also, if I was able to create or find a way to do this on line, would the DIS help me promote this event and post the page? We are thinking of doing this during our next trip to Disney. Walk around the World 11 times for the 11 countries. I think that would be a pretty good walk, would come with it's own challenges, dodging strollers, etc. Still have to do my research on the distance around the Worlds. Maybe we would have to do something silly like each lap we buy a pin at at a different country and wear it on our hats.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Helen

My suggestion would be to set up a First Giving page for your fundraiser. The majority of the Power of 10 fundraising activities have gone through it. The address is www.firstgiving.org and you can link to Give Kids the World so they receive the money directly. Good luck and keep us posted!

If you are doing it for the Power of 10 you should let the Podcast team know so we can add it to the total of donations received for GKTW.

Will do. Am just trying to work out the logistics now, and will definitely let the Podcast team know if and when we get it figured out.

Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter