Giving Thanksgiving a Whirl (and a Hurl) in WDW *COMPLETE! 5/20*

Ugh! So totally stinks! Love the food photos though! So sad that departure day is coming up. :(

ETA: I found out today that the Academy skort also comes in blue...so I promptly ordered it. :)

Ugh! So totally stinks! Love the food photos though! So sad that departure day is coming up. :(

ETA: I found out today that the Academy skort also comes in blue...so I promptly ordered it. :)
I realized when I finished up my Jan. TR that writing about departure day is almost as bad as departure day itself :sad1:

I saw the blue one! I ordered the white and black - they came and I LOVE THEM - so I'll be ordering the blue and possibly the pink!

So sorry you had a not so great last night! It only means you will need to reschedule via Napoli this next trip! We ate there last trip and it was sooo yummy!

So sorry you had a not so great last night! It only means you will need to reschedule via Napoli this next trip! We ate there last trip and it was sooo yummy!
Thank you :) I do want to eat there again; problem is, as I'm slowly writing down every place we want to eat on our next trip, I'm finding we'd have to stay for like 3 weeks to fit everywhere in :rotfl:Not that I'm opposed to that, mind you.......

I realized when I finished up my Jan. TR that writing about departure day is almost as bad as departure day itself :sad1:

I saw the blue one! I ordered the white and black - they came and I LOVE THEM - so I'll be ordering the blue and possibly the pink!
I can totally see that, as writing the TR helps to stretch out the trip and recall the memories...so once one gets to the end.... :(

I have no idea what I will do with myself then. Well, I guess plan the next trip, right? But then after the June 2017 one, I will really cry because it will probably be a few years before we go back.

Ugh I am sorry that your stomach did not want to eat at Via Napoli! I haven't been there but it is on the list to try. I'm sad that your departing day is coming up but so happy that you get to give Thanksgiving another try this year!

All caught up. You are guys are really doing a great job taking all the special Christmas things in. Gotta get down there one of these days so I can finally see some of it for myself.

So sorry you were still feeling bad. You definitely missed out on a good one but at least you could take a bite or two to know what it tastes like. Hope things improve for your last day.

I'm sad that your departing day is coming up but so happy that you get to give Thanksgiving another try this year!
It always helps to have another trip in the works when you're leaving Disney ::yes:: I'm doubly excited about our Thanksgiving trip because, hopefully, we'll get to meet :goodvibes

All caught up. You are guys are really doing a great job taking all the special Christmas things in. Gotta get down there one of these days so I can finally see some of it for myself.
You definitely should take a trip while all the Christmas stuff is up - geez, you go enough, squeeze one in during the season lol!! Seriously Casey would love the decorations and meeting Santa AND Mrs. Claus in Epcot. Plus characters in their holiday outfits? The gingerbread house? How can you NOT do it?

Well I decided to read it all through the end before I made any comments. I cannot believe the BW CMs were so negligent about your room issues...that just doesn't seem very "Disney" to me...regardless of the compensations (or lack there of-FPs). It reminds me a little of our NYE trip that just passed...it's almost like everyone is so overwhelmed with the holiday season and the higher crowd capacity that their lack of regard for their visitors drops. I am also very sorry you got the nasty stomach bug, that is definitely no way to end a vacation, but your family seems amazing in how they cared for you! All of the food looked so yummy...and I made a note in my planner about the French Pav drinks. I was trying to find them over NYE when we visited, but I couldn't remember which country they were in, so unfortunately I wasn't able to try it...Thanksgiving this year though...its on! I do have a couple of questions...
1. Narcoossee's...was it really delicious? 6 adults in our party and I really really want to eat there (maybe because I just want an excuse to visit GF) :)
2. How were the crowds? Day after Christmas-New Years Day was pretty horrific and I kinda told our party that it wouldn't be that crowded, in order to get them to go along with my Thanksgiving at Disney plan. Hope I didn't lie to them too badly!

Sounds like you had a great trip regardless of the not so good...and that you will be back again very soon!

I've literally read this from start to finish. This post made me want to do a PTR and a TR for my upcoming August trip! Can't wait for the last installment! Awesome to see another DisFam from my area (Jersey Girl! :yay:)

Just got caught up. I'm so sorry you were sick on your last night. The food does look amazing though. When are you traveling in November?

Well I decided to read it all through the end before I made any comments. I cannot believe the BW CMs were so negligent about your room issues...that just doesn't seem very "Disney" to me...regardless of the compensations (or lack there of-FPs). It reminds me a little of our NYE trip that just passed...it's almost like everyone is so overwhelmed with the holiday season and the higher crowd capacity that their lack of regard for their visitors drops
Hi there, thank you for reading! I know, the CM's there really left a bad taste in our mouths :sad2: I tried not to let it affect my thinking when we looked to rent points for our trip this Nov. but I couldn't help myself - just didn't want to go back to the BW yet!
I am also very sorry you got the nasty stomach bug, that is definitely no way to end a vacation, but your family seems amazing in how they cared for you
Thanks again! I've said it before but I don't wish that stomach bug on anyone when I Disney. You spend so much time and $ and put so much effort into planning, and then it all goes to hell :mad: But at least I only had one really bad day: I've read reports of people missing numerous park days due to the bug, so I consider myself lucky!
I made a note in my planner about the French Pav drinks. I was trying to find them over NYE when we visited, but I couldn't remember which country they were in, so unfortunately I wasn't able to try it...Thanksgiving this year though...its on
Make it a priority lol!
1. Narcoossee's...was it really delicious? 6 adults in our party and I really really want to eat there (maybe because I just want an excuse to visit GF) :)
Yes, it was really delicious :goodvibes There wasn't anything we didn't enjoy. If I had to come up with one negative, it would be that we waited a bit for our server to take our dessert order - that's as bad as it got! Chris has asked numerous times to go back this Nov. and none of us are opposed at all to returning. Steve and I went to Citricos in January and I want to say we liked that better but it had a lot to do with the atmosphere. I found it more romantic and private, not that there was anything at all wrong with Narcoossee's atmosphere. I say book it :thumbsup2
2. How were the crowds? Day after Christmas-New Years Day was pretty horrific and I kinda told our party that it wouldn't be that crowded, in order to get them to go along with my Thanksgiving at Disney plan. Hope I didn't lie to them too badly!
Oh no, crowds at Thanksgiving are NOTHING like those between Christmas and NY's. Nothing near what I'd call horrific. Steve doesn't like crowds and we were a bit nervous it would be too crowded for us since we're used to lower-crowded times, but we were pleasantly surprised, which is why we're returning the same week this year. I did find that 1. Like many other times, RD is pretty necessary if you want to ride the headliners more than once and avoid lines in general over 40 mins. 2. Try not to eat QS meals during peak meal times. Those lines can get 3x as long as ride lines! 3. Other than possibly MK there will not be good 4th, 5th, etc. FP availability. No idea if the recent changes to the way you can get those additional ones will improve this or not, but my $ is on......no :( What are your actual dates this Nov?

I've literally read this from start to finish. This post made me want to do a PTR and a TR for my upcoming August trip! Can't wait for the last installment! Awesome to see another DisFam from my area (Jersey Girl! :yay:)
Hello, :welcome: and thank you for reading! If you start a PTR make sure you put a link in your signature - I'll hop over and read!
I went to school in NJ - William Paterson College (yeah it was awhile ago, before it became a University. Showing my age :rolleyes1). Still go there quite a bit to visit friends!

Just got caught up. I'm so sorry you were sick on your last night. The food does look amazing though. When are you traveling in November?
Hi there and thank you :) Yeah, not the way you want to spend your last night in Disney at all. I always have high hopes for that last night and being back in my room laying down by 7:30 wasn't in the plan :oops: Just so glad most of the day was good and that at that point I had our Jan. trip to look forward to. Made it a little easier to handle!
We're going back the same week this year, for Thanksgiving :goodvibes Arriving Sat. the 19th and leaving Sat. the 26th. I started a PTR actually, the link is below if you want to take a look. Looks like we miss you by a week, unfortunately......where are you staying?

Have been keeping up with your report but have popped back to comment.

If you've never stopped to watch this performance you really should make some time on your next trip; he's great and the act is lots of fun to watch.

This is something I haven't actually seen. That's what I love about Disney every trip is different. Looks fun!

I was quickly feeling worse and the smells were really overpowering! I don't want to turn anyone off; I know they were delicious, wonderful smells. But they were making me nauseous :crazy2: It was like being pregnant again (which I am NOT! Don't even think it!)

That's what it reminded me of although you're alright I didn't jump to that conclusion with you. I am terrible at the best of times with a super strong sense of smell but when I was pregnant it was awful. At work I was convinced someone was smoking in the room when it must have been someone smoking outside the building. As for cooking smells... :crazy2: That's so rotten that you ended the trip feely so queasy. I can't believe we are at the end of your trip report already. :sad1:

I can't believe we are at the end of your trip report already.
I know! This is the 2nd TR I'm finishing and it's almost as sad as finishing a trip lol. Luckily I have the PTR for this Nov. going......I'm really loving this TR/PTR thing!
And while we're on the subject, I see you're returning in a couple months, yay! :cool1: Just Disney this time or Disney and Uni again?

And while we're on the subject, I see you're returning in a couple months, yay! :cool1: Just Disney this time or Disney and Uni again?

Well, it's like this...we booked in May 2015 for 2 weeks all inclusive in Turkey. We have got into a pattern of one year Disney next year a more budget option. The children were getting a bit worried about some of the unrest in Turkey and wanted to change to somewhere they felt was a bit safer. One of the family has some ongoing health problems that meant we needed accommodation with a washing machine. Anyway, it was proving really difficult to find accommodation in Europe that had a washing machine. To be fair we did find a few on Owner's Direct but I was unsure about paying an owner direct and the location of some of them. I then said "I know where will have washing machines." We were unable to get that size of accommodation at Old Key West booking this close in. We have booked off-site which feels really strange. It will be a really different trip. We tend to go to Universal every second trip. Peter loves Aquatica and has asked to go there. I have bought combo tickets for Aquatica/Sea World/Busch Gardens. Hannah at the moment is saying she is not going to Sea World. I would like to go with Peter to go on some of the roller coasters.We are planning a day at Busch Gardens - again for the roller coasters. We haven't been there since our first trip in 2008.

It is coming round really quickly.

Hey! I'm back and caught up...busy with end of the year PTA stuff, which includes saying my goodbyes as president, and trying to find someone to take my spot. We have a Freaky Friday the 13th dance and fun night coming up, featuring a raffle (that we can't legally call a raffle, but really it's TOTALLY a raffle.) of 4 WDW one day park hoppers that I was so excited to get after filling out a donation request online in Jan or Feb. We added in a plush Mickey, plush Minnie, and two huge beach towels from the Disney Store featuring each Mouse. Everyone is super excited about it.

Oh, and even though I said I was FINISHED with PTA...I've somehow ended up VP at middle school next year (which I was not planning to do, but they called me desperate, and I caved) and secretary for the district board (which I actually volunteered to do because I wanted to). Technically, I guess I am truly finished with PTA, as these are PTO positions, haha! I have to present a scholarship at one of our high schools in a couple weeks as district board representative, and I'm getting all emotional writing my speech, and I don't even know any of these graduates, so I'm feeling like a total weirdo.

Anyway, enough about me! I just needed a fellow PTA mom moment with you, LOL!!

I hate, hate, hate (!!) that you ended up feeling sick again!! And last day really is the saddest day, and it's the worst day to write about :sad::sad:
You know, I'm already in mini-panic/sad mode about the end of our December trip that is still months away because I don't have a set in stone return date planned. Because I am a lunatic.

(also, I'm totally donating (ahem, BUYING RAFFLE TICKETS) like a crazy person to win those tickets at our event. I want to attempt a solo trip, but DH keeps trying to tell me it might be a bad idea because what if I'm miserable and lonely? I tell him I'm willing to risk it and find out!!)

IMG_2311_zpszboj7izk.jpg
Those actually look REALLY tasty!!!!

No idea what she's saying or what her story is about, but isn't she so pretty?
Haha, I thought the same thing when I saw this photo!

THE LAST DAY IS ALWAYS THE SADDEST
YES MA'AM, IT SURE IS! :sad:

We have booked off-site which feels really strange. It will be a really different trip.
Last August when we did what was supposed to be a Universal-only trip we were offsite (obviously). We ended up doing a day at MK b/c we couldn't stay away so it was weird driving to the TTC and taking the monorail in rather than riding a bus lol. But since you're doing other parks in addition to Disney it does make sense. And while staying on property is the best, offsite in Orlando certainly doesn't make a trip any less wonderful!

Hey! I'm back and caught up...busy with end of the year PTA stuff, which includes saying my goodbyes as president, and trying to find someone to take my spot. We have a Freaky Friday the 13th dance and fun night coming up, featuring a raffle (that we can't legally call a raffle, but really it's TOTALLY a raffle.) of 4 WDW one day park hoppers that I was so excited to get after filling out a donation request online in Jan or Feb. We added in a plush Mickey, plush Minnie, and two huge beach towels from the Disney Store featuring each Mouse. Everyone is super excited about it.
LOL :rotfl: I'm laughing at this b/c a few years ago there was a big "to-do" about this with a new President.....yup, no raffles ;) Not only does a Freaky Friday dance sound awesome but I love the Disney ticket/basket you have that's NOT being raffled off!!
Oh, and even though I said I was FINISHED with PTA...I've somehow ended up VP at middle school next year (which I was not planning to do, but they called me desperate, and I caved)
That's how it always is.........someone desperate asks you to do something and it's impossible for us to say no :sad2: Especially when we realize it's all for the kids.......besides all the stuff I do at Chris's elementary school, my friend is PTA president at Ricky's middle school so I've been doing stuff there. Not as involved and I don't hold any positions, but it's just MORE PTA stuff to add to my list! Next year at the elementary school I'll continue as picture coordinator, run the literacy lounge, fundraising coordinator, and as of yesterday I'm in charge of handling the end of year PTA lifetime membership award we give out at our volunteer breakfast in June. We (all the parents/teachers can vote) nominate a parent and a teacher each year for this and they get their award at the breakfast, which is put on for the volunteers by the teachers. It's very nice. However it's June 9th and the deadline for ordering the awards is next Friday, so it would've been nice if someone asked me to do it before yesterday!
You know, I'm already in mini-panic/sad mode about the end of our December trip that is still months away because I don't have a set in stone return date planned. Because I am a lunatic.
::yes:: Yup, I get it-not a lunatic! I'm hoping we get AP's again in Nov. when we go (ours expired in March) because then I know we'll be planning a return trip soon after.
I want to attempt a solo trip, but DH keeps trying to tell me it might be a bad idea because what if I'm miserable and lonely? I tell him I'm willing to risk it and find out!!)
Um, I'll attempt it with you :wave: It'll kinda be solo but our husbands won't have to worry about us being lonely. Hey, we won't know unless we try, right?
Those actually look REALLY tasty!!!!
Everyone who could actually eat said they were >:(

Well, after a not so great night for me (although really it ended on a nice note) it was time for us to head home. The good: we had one more breakfast reservation booked. The bad: I was still feeling "eh". Just not myself and not really like eating. But I was mostly glad that I wasn't crouched over a toilet puking my guts up a few hours before I had to get on a plane!

Our breakfast was at Trattoria Al Forno since it was right there on the BW. Remember earlier in the week we had dinner there and while it wasn't bad, it didn't impress us, either. I didn't cancel the breakfast though because 1. it's a different meal and 2. I had wanted to have a decent meal before flying. Plus there was something on the menu I had been very interested in trying.......

Our reservation was for 9 so we didn't have to bring our luggage down to bell services first, since check-out wasn't until 11. Before heading onto the Boardwalk I made the boys pose for this picture

That's the only picture I took of the BW lobby Christmas decorations because I was very disappointed in them this year. All they had was a gingerbread stand; when we were there in 2012 it was much more elaborate and adorable and I expected it to be the same or similar this year.
From 2012:

Can you see Donald sticking out of the fireplace? And all the presents had tags on them with character names. There were ones to Donald and Daisy from each other, one for Jasmine from Aladdin, etc.
They did have a gingerbread stand that year too, but it was more like a gingerbread house/store. Plus, Stitch!

The one from last year was DEFINITELY just a stand. I'm hoping for this year they go back to something similar to 2012!

Next it was on to Trattoria. We were seated right away and given menus. I honestly don't remember what Steve ordered; I do remember I wanted the Waffles with Espresso-Mascarpone cream but instead asked if I could just have plain waffles. Boring, I know, but that's all I felt I could eat. Ricky actually ordered what I wanted to order but with the cream on the side; it looked good and smelled great and made me sad

He didn't like the cream which didn't surprise me but otherwise said everything was fine. That's a piece of Chris's multigrain croissant in the corner.
This was Chris's breakfast

He liked his fine but said the croissant was a bit dry.

Whatever Steve got I remember him saying was ok but nothing spectacular. I'm sure I would have enjoyed mine better if I were feeling normal. I don't think there's anything wrong with breakfast here and I think it's a decent option if you're staying in the BW area.

We finished up and returned to our room for our luggage. I totally failed taking any more "good-bye" pics of the lobby or us waiting for DME; I always see others' pictures like that in TR's and I'm going to make a point of taking a few on the last day of our next trip. OMG why am I already thinking about the last day of our next trip??!! :sad: Anyway, ME was on time and as a nice surprise Ricky was pre-checked for boarding. So, it was only the 3 of us that had to go through the 2 hour TSA line at MCO...........

I did feel good enough to eat half a bagel while we waited for the plane. We also met friends of ours in the airport who were flying back on the same flight. They'd been visiting relatives just outside Orlando and then decided last minute to do MK on Black Friday WHAT??? Since they bought 1 day tickets that day they couldn't make FP's in advance. Of course they had a hard time getting any "good" ones day-of, so they stood on line for 70 minutes for BTMRR :faint: They aren't new at this either, they go almost as often as we do!!! Otherwise we had an uneventful flight back.

UP NEXT: WHAT I REALLY THOUGHT OF THIS TRIP

Sorry you still weren't feeling well but it doesn't look like you missed too much at breakfast either. I've heard much better things about Captains Grill, which I think you are trying on your next trip. Can't wait to see what you think.

Looking forward to your final thoughts and more importantly for this years thanksgiving trip to be all whirl and no hurl!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter