Getting nervous? Do I need to walk for Christmas?

marisabuzz

Mouseketeer
We are BLT owners and want to book our first Christmas trip as owners. We are looking to book a week a few days before Christmas to a few days after Christmas (not going into NYE). We want a MK studio. DH is adamant about having the MK view. I'm indifferent. I'm watching availability and it looks like the days are filling up. I know first week of December is usually peak for DVC. Am I worrying for nothing? Should I be walking? If so, when should I start?

No need to walk. Look at the point requirement for MK view. It should keep demand in check.

No need to walk. Look at the point requirement for MK view. It should keep demand in check.

I have. Currently standard and MK views are gone so far for most of the first week of December. After the first few weeks of Dec, does the trend continue?

I have. Currently standard and MK views are gone so far for most of the first week of December. After the first few weeks of Dec, does the trend continue?
One of the reasons that the first week of December is the most high-demand time for DVC is because it's the cheapest time. That MK view room goes from 23 points per night to 38 points per night. That's a 65% increase, which should even out demand.

Until just recently, BLT theme park view never had an 11 month issue for booking. Then, on Jan 3, 2017, the studio (and resulting 2BR lock-off) disappeared right at 8 a.m. for Dec 1 through 3, 2017, marking the first time Theme Park view ever became an 11 month issue. Dec 4 disappeared right at 8 a.m. on Jan 4. Then this morning at 8 a.m., Jan 5, the theme park studio went down for both Dec 5 and 6, meaning those with a Dec 6 start date, who will be going on line tomorrow to book a theme park studio right at 8 a.m., will find they have already lost the race.

Whether it will also have an issue Christmas week is now an unknown but I believe you will probably be OK including because you state you want a week that begins "a few days" before Christmas, meaning Dec 22. If the 11-month issue is going to exist for that week, it is not likely to begin before Christmas (and is more likely to be an issue, if at all, nearer NYE). In fact, if I were going to suggest a beginning walk date for Christmas, it would likely be Dec 21 or Dec 22.

Last edited:
We go to BLT Thanksgiving week and book two 2 bedroom standard villas. We do have to walk this. (I learned the hard way the first year when I didn't walk it.) This year, when booking for 2017, I did notice that while the 2 bedroom standard views were hard to get, the lake view and MK view were fully available. I think starting in 2018 I may just book lake view to avoid all the walking nonsense. It seems the standard views are hardest to get. MK views are so many more points, hopefully it will be easier for you.

Until just recently, BLT theme park view never had an 11 month issue for booking. Then, on Jan 3, 2017, the studio (and resulting 2BR lock-off) disappeared right at 8 a.m. for Dec 1 through 3, 2017, marking the first time Theme Park view ever became an 11 month issue. Dec 4 disappeared right at 8 a.m. on Jan 4. Then this morning at 8 a.m., Jan 5, the theme park studio went down for both Dec 5 and 6, meaning those with a Dec 6 start date, who will be going on line tomorrow to book a theme park studio right at 8 a.m., will find they have already lost the race.

Whether it will also have an issue Christmas week is now an unknown but I believe you will probably be OK including because you state you want a week that begins "a few days" before Christmas, meaning Dec 22. If the 11-month issue is going to exist for that week, it is not likely to begin before Christmas (and is more likely to be an issue, if at all, nearer NYE). In fact, if I were going to suggest a beginning walk date for Christmas, it would likely be Dec 21 or Dec 22.

Thanks for this. That's exactly what I noticed last week. I've checked every day this week and for the most part MK view has been available. I'm breathing a little better. We do have flexibility in what day we actually go (any day from either Dec 19 to Dec 22). So I might book the day before we want to go and then drop/add the following day.

We go Christmas week every year. We NEVER walk a reservation. I know others do however, I have never seen the need. We always book our home resort OKW or AKV at 11 months out and most of the time we decided at 7 months to switch and there is plently of availability. We have stayed at pretty much every resort (DVC). We always book a 1-2 bedroom.

We go Christmas week every year. We NEVER walk a reservation. I know others do however, I have never seen the need. We always book our home resort OKW or AKV at 11 months out and most of the time we decided at 7 months to switch and there is plently of availability. We have stayed at pretty much every resort (DVC). We always book a 1-2 bedroom.

Good to know that you're able to book without walking. I think we'll be fine but *knock on wood* you never know.

What do you mean by walking the reservation? I've never heard that term, sorry!

What do you mean by walking the reservation? I've never heard that term, sorry!

It's the process of booking a reservation at 11/7 month mark prior to your actual preferred reservation and "walking" (adding/dropping days) each day to get to the actual booking you want. There's a ton of info on these forums about walking a reservation. If you search "walk" I'm sure you'll find out a ton about it.

To update everyone...

Tried online today to book studio MK view starting on the 20th and the 20th was booked (I didn't try at 8am or even 9am...tried at 10am). Good thing I booked yesterday, so I called at 10:30am to drop the 19th and add a day at the end. It was looking good up until today. Surprisingly, standard view was still available (was pretty much booked full at 8am every day this month until now).

It's the process of booking a reservation at 11/7 month mark prior to your actual preferred reservation and "walking" (adding/dropping days) each day to get to the actual booking you want. There's a ton of info on these forums about walking a reservation. If you search "walk" I'm sure you'll find out a ton about it.
Do you mean you reserve an entire week? Then you remove days to your desired five day reservation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter