Gen's Six Hours In Disneyland Paris Photo Essay

joanjett1976

<font color=blue>Shane in the study with the candl
Hey friends.

I caved in. Like Whitney Houston to the nose candy, I had to come back. It was fast, cheap and made me feel dirty the next morning but I did it...I spent six hours in Disneyland Paris by myself because I couldn't not do it.

I had spent a week of drink and meetings in Cannes, France for work purposes and now had a whole day off before heading back to Montreal via Zurich.

Option A: stay in Cannes, spend a whole shmoo of money at this super nice clothing store that carries my favoritest-designer-that-I can't-find -anywhere-else-except-for-that-one-place-in-Miami.

Option B: Take a train to Milan. Call Val and exclaim triumphantly 'OMG I'm in Milan. How fabulous am I?' Look around, realize I am dead broke and take the train back.

Option C: Spend 16 Hours on a train and go to Disneyland Paris for 6 hours.

Yes, of course Option C.

I took a night train from Cannes to Paris. As Julia Roberts tells the snobby clerks who wouldn't let her shop in pretty Woman: 'Big mistake. Huge!' Has anyone ever take the night train in Europe? Holy mackerel. What is going on in here? I board the train, am shipped to the 'single lady' train (sadly, not as exciting as the statement makes it seem!) and shown to my top-bunk in my six lady sleeping chamber. Seriously. It's like the Mission Space bucket. I can't stand, I can't crouch, just lay dead. It's like the coop in Chicken Run. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn they had rounded up the gays and I was shipped to a rehabilitation camp. No probs, I'll head to the dining car and spend an evening of serious IPOD love and a few cocktails. No dining car? That's right, I need to regain my spot in the Mission Space bucket for over 10 hours, thinking of my happy place (Dang it! there's no Splash Mountain at DL Paris).

I somehow fall asleep, cuddling my IPOD with irrational fears of a hose-down or some other women's prison nightmare and wake up in Paris. Switch to the subway and make it to DL just in time for rope drop.

Except that it is super cold and I am under-dressed and famished and alone. But I am in Disneyland.

The park was undergoing some renovations and was not as completely enchanting as during the Halloween season. Just as brown is the new black, DL Paris Halloween is the new WDW Christmas-time. Positively enchanting!

Anyhoo: I managed to squeeze in all my bestest rides (Pirates, Phantom Manor, Rock N Rollercoaster, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, Indy, Star Tours), a parade and some fish and chips. I made a fool of myself on Star Tours where my digital camera leapt out of my bag and started roaming the floor of the ride vehicle. There I was buckled in, on my way to Endor flopping around like a rag doll trying to reach down and grab my runaway camera when IT happened. IT being a total ride shutdown where the an employee comes inside the cabin and asks if anyone needs to leave or isn't feeling good all the while looking at me from the corner of his accusing eye. I shake my head no, hope no one knows I am the idiot who made this happen, grab my camera and back to Endor we go. Seriously mortified. If I didn't know me, I would have spent the rest of my afternoon talking about the moron on Space Tours that stopped the ride.

I made the last afternoon train back to Cannes. It was a civilized train with spacious seats and a dining car that served the best goat cheese salad and cookies. I read German In Touch, French OK and British Hello: a trashy gossip magazine is the same in every language.

Packed my bags, took a Cab to the Nice Airport, Transferred in Zurich. Arrived in Montreal eons later. I never want to leave the house again. Well, except to go to WDW in 13 days....

Enjoy the photo essay:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106805963

Great TR! Made me laugh.

I'd love to ride Star Tours with ya while your here in Orlando, just to watch your rag doll routine!

:worship: We're not worthy! Your dedication/addiction goes waaay beyond what I would've been up for. I think. :confused3 Maybe I would've done the train...but I doubt it. I loved the trip report and your pictures were amazing! You are soo good about posting so quickly. Bravo, bravo Gen!

joanjett1976 said:
I board the train, am shipped to the 'single lady' train and shown to my top-bunk in my six lady sleeping chamber. I can't stand, I can't crouch, just lay dead.
"The Three Stooges" came to mind as I read the above. Needless to say, I laughed like heck.

Your report was fabulous, as were your photos. You definitely have an "entertaining" way with words! :thumbsup2

First of all.. great! story.. totally had me laughing.. And reminded me of my first trip to Disneyland!

I had been working at SuperBowl XXX in Phoenix and at the end of the game, they did the Disney Spot.. 'So and so.. you just won Superbowl 30 - what's next? I'm going to Disneyworld!"

And I thought - I should go to Disneyland. So I changed my plane ticket, dropped off my rent-a-bucket and got an SUV and drove from Phoenix to Anaheim over night. Got to DL the next morning.. hit the park all day, dropped the SUV at LAX and flew back to NYC.

Had a blast.. But was WAY tired when I got home for sure!

And way looking forward to WDW on May 28th!

John

That's my boy, John ;)
I find that some of my fondest memories have happened as a result of those spur of the moment trips!

Thanks for reading everyone...I harbor secret fantasies of becoming the Vettechick of the gay boards. Plus It was a slow day at work yesterday...

Me and Val are leaving for WDW in 7 Days!!! We are taking the videocamera this time, so watch out boards!!!

:worship: :worship:

Gen, your report and photo essay is awesome!!!! :thanks:

The photos are fantastic! I'm glad you asked so many folks to take your photo...they got some great shots for you! And...OT...I absolutely LOVE those boots that almost stomped Chicken Little...they are to die for! :thumbsup2

Right before I read your thread I had just finished reading some of Mr. Disney and Mr. D's K-Man and ya'll really should consider doing reviews together....they would be so hilarious!

Thanks for sharing with us! I so want to go to DL Paris...and Hong Kong...and Tokyo...and finally heading to where it all started in a month! :cheer2:

I can't wait to read and see your photos from the next trip!!! :wave2:

Sooo funny, Gen. Great job and great spirit of adventure (esprit d'aventure?).

You, my darling, are a martyr to the cause! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Dittos on all of the above. You look great, and the boots, the glasses! You accesorize like a gay man! BRAVO! :thumbsup2

And if you have the chance, check out Mr. Disney's and Mr. D's Kevin restaurant reviews...

DO NOT have a drink in your mouth, it will end up all over your computer screen!

OrlandoMike said:
And if you have the chance, check out Mr. Disney's and Mr. D's Kevin restaurant reviews...

DO NOT have a drink in your mouth, it will end up all over your computer screen!

I am a big fan of Mister Disney and his different demographics! One of his last posts actually inspired me to make late evening ADR's at Bistro De Paris for a dessert feast :woohoo:

Last time I checked, there was a pic of shackled Kevin. The het boards are getting so frisky! :rotfl2:

What fun!! The last time I had the opportunity to do this, I went to the Louvre instead! What was I thinking????? (Of course I was actually staying in Paris, you get major Brownie points for taking the sleeper train, wow!) Made up for it by tacking on an extra day and going to Hong Kong Disneyland. My coworkers were appalled!

Great! It is funny, went with my mom and aunt a couple of years ago. They only gave me 6 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter