• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Garden Grill Review

torismom

DIS Veteran
This has always been our must do until last night. It was myself, dh, dd and ds. We were seated in a timely manner and had wonderful character interaction. This was the best part of our meal.

Our waitress came by and got our drink order, brought our bread and salad back before our drinks. During the course of dinner we tried to get refills for our kids but were ignored. When our bottle of wine was gone we were ignored again. We just wanted a glass of water but it never was brought to us. When our platter of food was brought out we were given 4 chicken strips and the mac n cheese for the kids. The adult platter had 2 cold pieces of flank steak , 2 cold pieces of turkey, 2 carrotts and ample sugar snap peas and a 1/4 of a roasted sweet potato, the dressing and a bowl of potatos.(we requested no catfish) Meanwhile we had not even finished our salad. We went ahead and requested another plate of food and then we waited and waited and waited. We finished ,still could not get drink refills, waited
and waited and waited for our dessert for it to be dropped on the floor in front of us and we waited and waited and waited for more to be brought to us.

We were all so diapointed and could not believe 1.5 hours later and 105.00porrer (icluding our DDE discount) and extremely thirsty what we had just been through.

We really did not have a great dinner. I am still shocked at the 27.99 price tag for the adult's. I have no problem having expensive dinners if they are worth the money but this was not.

We didnt have the same bad experience that you had - but we wont be going back there again.

The atmosphere is nice...but the food is not very good.

I'm sorry :sad2: some of you didn't enjoy the GG as much as my DH and I. We have had nothing but great experiences with them. It's one of our favorites. The staff has always been overly friendly and attentive. The quality of the food has been so good, that we always ask for refills on the food, which we think is absolutely yummy! We've always gotten it warm and very tasty. It's even kind of neat knowing that some of the food is cultivated right below in the areas where The Land ride goes. The characters even have come around more than once, really interacting with us, and we have no kids. So, we especially appreciate when we are treated with just as much enthusiasm.

While I know that everyone may have different experiences, based on various circumstances, I wanted to make sure people also saw another side of the GG. We actually plan on going there twice on our next visit.

We loved GG. I am sorry that you had a bad experience. The quality of our food was excellent.

About the 27.99 price tag....I specifically go at lunch time because its cheaper and the food is the same, sans salad. The salad isn't worth $16 for DH and I

I am working on my Trip report and I was thinking that maybe the GG was our favorite this trip. We loved the food. It was really good. We were served in a timely manner and given refills of exactly what we requested in a timely manner. Our server had no problem letting our 11 yr old have the cupcake for dessert. We really loved this place.

On the other hand...we had poor service at 50s Prime time Diner. Sounds much like your meal at GG. A poor server can really make everything else horrible. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
Katy

Sorry you had a bad time, it sounds disappointing. We really like GG - we have been there on our last 2 trips. The characters came around twice and spent alot of time at our table. This was really nice as our DS warmed up to them over time. The food was great - DH loves the catfish and I love the flank steak and potatoes. Our DS devoured the vegetables. We like the atmosphere. I was hard for us to not make ADRs for GG for our upcoming trip, but we decided to try all new places this time. However, if we had had the same experience as the OP we also would probably not go back!

About the 27.99 price tag....I specifically go at lunch time because its cheaper and the food is the same, sans salad. The salad isn't worth $16 for DH and I

That is a great tip!!

To the OP, It sounds to me that the worst part of this disappointing experience was the poor service you received. One thing I have learned from being on the DIS is to do something about it right there. I would suggest if this happens to anyone to speak to a supervisor and explain your disappointment. I think too much went wrong, and you paid too much money to just shrug it off. I am sorry this was not a good experience for you.

i have to second the bad review,
just got back on the 21st
and G.G. was the worst meal of the week.
what a disappointment after all the great reviews i read about it.
that is the first meal in Disney in a long time (or anywhere else really)
that i had trouble finishing.
all just like the first poster said,
turkey, beef, stuffing = downright not tasting good.
kids chicken strips were fine, but mac and cheese was aweful.
service was good enough
they were nice enough to bring a cake out for my daughters birthday
and i appreciate that, but...
sorry, the cake just did not taste good.
we left most of the food and the cake on the table paid the bill and split.

i guess its just a preference thing, but that is the first restaurant in disney we have sworn to NEVER return.

(characters were good though)

We have eaten at GG every year since 1999. It has always been a wonderful experience until this last trip (Nov./Dec.). Our waiter, Victor (we always request him) was still terrific but the food was so disappointing. The restaurant tried to change their menu after the remodel and it didn't work so they returned to a meal similar to those in the past. For some reason, it is not the same (maybe, the cooks changed after the remodel??). We will try again this year and hopefully, it will have improved. I sure hope so!!!!

I am sorry your meal was bad. I totally agree. It is not very good. The food is bland, and not worth having again. The character interaction is good because there never a crowd of people. We were there at lunch at noon and I think there was mayber 3 other tables. It was during a busy time, Free dining. There are only a handful of people that really like it. So many of us are in the same boat on this one.

Sorry to hear this. We have always enjoyed this place. More so for the characters though than the food.

We went a while back and must have had the same server or table rotation you had!! After 90+ minutes all the tables had turned over except ours! Mind you the boys were ages 4,5 and this is a long time to sit. Empty drinks and still no dessert. It was time for our fastpass ride on test track so I asked for the check and complained. Getting the check took over 15 more min. so i complained to a manager and said forget the desserts. I have never complained at Disney before and am embarassed to do so, but this is ridiculous!! No compensation was offered. Not the rest. for us ever again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter