FYI: More Cuts Coming

At the end of that article, the writer asks, "Should Disneyland be forced to pay for Shanghai overruns? Will the new attractions and shows at DCA be enough to counteract reduced offerings for you and your family?"

I don't think the new attractions at DCA will help counteract this. And it seems like really bad planning at WDW to not have Pandora completed by now. They really could have used that. I don't think the maelstrom reboot and river of light show is enough to balance out the cuts in WDW either.

Bad planning all around.

New attractions at DCA? Are they talking about the Frozen replacement for a much loved Aladdin stage show? That's going to be one and done for most people. Or maybe the lame replacement for Luigi's?

New attractions at DCA? Are they talking about the Frozen replacement for a much loved Aladdin stage show? That's going to be one and done for most people. Or maybe the lame replacement for Luigi's?
Yesh, i don't expect Frozen to have the same repeatability that aladdin did...I hope I'm wrong though. They are getting soarin over the world too, though, which will probably go over well

Yesh, i don't expect Frozen to have the same repeatability that aladdin did...I hope I'm wrong though. They are getting soarin over the world too, though, which will probably go over well

It will. But I find it amusing that they call these "new attractions". They are all updates on old attractions. And I still don't see how anything new counteracts cuts. If the new things are wildly popular, don't you need more staff instead of less to staff the bigger crowds?

It will. But I find it amusing that they call these "new attractions". They are all updates on old attractions. And I still don't see how anything new counteracts cuts. If the new things are wildly popular, don't you need more staff instead of less to staff the bigger crowds?
I completely agree. I seriously hope these cuts don't last beyond the fiscal year (according to that mice chat article, it is supposed to only be for the 3rd quarter..hopefully that will be true).

Just ask some here, Disney is a business first and foremost. The pecking order is: shareholders, profits, Iger's bonuses, guests. Don't ever forget that.
I get that and I know that's how it works with without GUESTS there are no shareholders and profits - and I'm not saying guests will disappear (that obviously won't happen) but just saying..... we GUESTS are the ones paying the $$$$

I thought the Asian parks were actually owned by the Oriental Land Company and not Disney itself. I guess I'm confused.

I thought the Asian parks were actually owned by the Oriental Land Company and not Disney itself. I guess I'm confused.
The parks in Tokyo are owned by the Oriental Land Company, not Shanghai.
Shanghai, as I understand it, is majority owned by the Shanghai Shendi Group (essentially, the government) , with Disney also owning a minority share of the park.

According to wikipedia, the Shanghai group owns 57% while disney owns 43%

Edited to fix the name of the group owning the majority share in Shanghai and to put jn the %s.

Last edited:
Shanghai, as I understand it, is majority owned by the Communist Party of China, with Disney also owning a minority share of the park.
:upsidedow

No, cutting corners at booming parks is not good business. It's short sighted and stupid. It's a great way to alienate more and more people. It's penny wise and pound foolish. It's pure hubris and sure to bite them in the behind at some point.

Check out this article and tell me it doesn't piss you off: http://micechat.com/122782-disneyland-cutbacks/

Crowds keep coming and they're cutting hours, entertainment, parades, staffing -- even the quality of food, for **** sakes. Let's make sure that everyone -- CMs, guests -- pays for their international blunders and overexpansion...anyone but the top execs who made the lousy decisions!

Do they have anything but contempt for the guests who keep them rolling in billions of dollars in profits? If so, they have a funny way of showing it. Look what they're doing at Disneyland: a big chunk of the park is sitting behind construction walls, thus reducing capacity. So why not make it even worse, by cutting hours and running rides at less than full capacity?

This is ridiculous and insulting. This is degrading the value of people's hard earned vacations.

I'm glad we don't have any trip planned (and I never thought I would say that!).
Check out how much food prices have been increased in the last week.

Shanghai, as I understand it, is majority owned by the Shanghai Shendi Group (essentially, the government) , with Disney also owning a minority share of the park.

According to wikipedia, the Shanghai group owns 57% while disney owns 43%

Edited to fix the name of the group owning the majority share in Shanghai and to put jn the %s.
Bingo. Hong Kong is also the same way. Disney is a minority owner there. Disney owns absolutely nothing in Tokyo but gets paid a licensing fee for use of the characters. Paris is a different story. Disney owns over 70% of Paris but not all of it. The US parks are completely owned by Disney.

Wow. This answers a lot.... I've been pricing a trip for next March and it has been SO much more expensive than when we went last year, and I couldn't figure out why! I just went and looked at the prices for the character breakfasts we did last year, and they are like $12 more expensive per person!!! That really adds up on a 10 day vacation!

Now I'm kind of thinking about going to Universal instead... makes me sad :(

I am defiantly priced out from going to any of the parks. I don't know how most people can keep affording all these price increases. They are just crazy. It is so wrong to make the american's to pay for there own mistake.

I beginning to doubt this has anything to do with Shanghai and has everything to do with Disney's losses in the cable market - especially ESPN -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...a-money-problem-that-even-star-wars-cant-fix/

I suspect they're trying to eat the losses from cable by supplementing it from income from the parks so they can maintain control over the cable market with ESPN and the various Disney channels being "mandatory" channels.

I beginning to doubt this has anything to do with Shanghai and has everything to do with Disney's losses in the cable market - especially ESPN -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...a-money-problem-that-even-star-wars-cant-fix/

I suspect they're trying to eat the losses from cable by supplementing it from income from the parks so they can maintain control over the cable market with ESPN and the various Disney channels being "mandatory" channels.

Or all of the above.
The cash cow is WDW. And we're feeding it.
I am scared what my food costs will be next month for my family of 8. I figured $2000. I should up to $2,500. :(

Both are parts to a very big problem.

In other news the Public Works streetmosphere at DHS had their last show this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter