Future of buffets?

ForEver2016

Mouseketeer
Pre-covid, we were big fans of Disney buffets (especially for breakfast). However, now that I’m infinitely more aware of how germs are spread and can’t see myself ever eating at one again, to be honest. I know some restaurants that have reopened have gone to family style-type offerings, but somehow I can’t imagine somewhere like Boma being as special without the huge selection of choices.

Can anyone speculate what they think Disney might do with all the buffet style restaurants once they all reopen (assuming they will)? I’m kind of hoping traditional buffets with any number of grubby hands all touching the same serving spoons will become a thing of the past.

Many of them have converted to AYCTE and/or family style. I would think that Boma could easily transition to that. I'm excited to see what they do with it.

My guess is that they will stay with family style until the Co-Vid numbers go way down and most have had a chance to get the vaccine.
At that point, I would be surprised to not see buffets return.

I think ( and hope) that buffets are gone for good.
Family style is the way to go.

Possibly they will have manned stations but guests won't be near the food...not sure how that would work.

It will be interesting to see. I don't mind the transition to family style, but I wonder if they would ever consider doing what they offer for Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings, which is a buffet that is served by cast members behind plexiglass. It worked nicely, and I think it may offer more variety than an all-you-care-to-eat family style meal.

Most buffets had CM at some of the stations so it wouldn't cost much more to add a few more and of course they can just charge a little more so we can pay for it.

Still, give it a few years and if everything goes well things may get back to a normalcy that it is currently hard to envision. Here is hoping. :)

One thing I like about the buffets at Disney and on Cruise ships is the variety of offerings offered. I can pick and choose what I am interested while my wife can pick and choose what she is interested in.

Some cruise lines overseas have started up and they have staff at the front of the stations putting the food on your plates. Even prior to covid they would do this when there was a "major" norovirus outbreak.

I find it amusing when people talk about the ickiness of multiple people touching the serving tongs. Think about the number of people that has touched the elevator button at your place of work. Think about the number of people that have touched the non-automatic door at a store you shop at.

I know some restaurants that have reopened have gone to family style-type offerings, but somehow I can’t imagine somewhere like Boma being as special without the huge selection of choices.

Why can't it be family style with the choices of the buffet? They can have specific platters that can hold 6-10 different foods and you choose when the waiter first comes over.

Personally I like the idea of killing off buffets and going to a more Disney Cruise Line style AYCTE option even.

I find it amusing when people talk about the ickiness of multiple people touching the serving tongs. Think about the number of people that has touched the elevator button at your place of work. Think about the number of people that have touched the non-automatic door at a store you shop at.

Not serving my food, eating, and possibly licking my fingers (if eating ribs as example) right after touching the elevator button.

So there is absolutely a difference.

In the end on our single DCL trip we ate at Cabanas 3 times the whole trip. Every other meal we ate in the lunch table service, dinner table service, and typically would get room service night before with something for morning or order room service for AM.

One thing I like about the buffets at Disney and on Cruise ships is the variety of offerings offered. I can pick and choose what I am interested while my wife can pick and choose what she is interested in.

Some cruise lines overseas have started up and they have staff at the front of the stations putting the food on your plates. Even prior to covid they would do this when there was a "major" norovirus outbreak.

I'm a nut! :D

I use knuckle, tissue or even sleeve to touch elevator or any door handles. And then wash hands.
When washing hands in public bathrooms - use paper towel to turn off sink after washing and open door.

So yeah buffets are gross to me!

I think that touching doorknobs and elevator buttons is a world of difference from buffets where you people are touching food items. I wouldn’t even think to compare the two. Now, are buffets themselves hotspots for respiratory illnesses like Covid? Probably not. But after becoming more aware of germs during this pandemic, do I necessarily want to expose myself to gastrointestinal illness from buffets either? Nah, I’m good. I think eliminating buffets as a whole would be a good measure to help stop the spread of illnesses in general, beyond the pandemic. Now I do hope that they find a way to serve a good variety at these restaurants post-buffet (family or cafeteria style are good options) instead of going fully a la carte.

Pre-covid, we were big fans of Disney buffets (especially for breakfast). However, now that I’m infinitely more aware of how germs are spread and can’t see myself ever eating at one again, to be honest. I know some restaurants that have reopened have gone to family style-type offerings, but somehow I can’t imagine somewhere like Boma being as special without the huge selection of choices.

Can anyone speculate what they think Disney might do with all the buffet style restaurants once they all reopen (assuming they will)? I’m kind of hoping traditional buffets with any number of grubby hands all touching the same serving spoons will become a thing of the past.
not Disney but buffets have started to reappear in my area. the main one has a stand before you get in line each time where you use sanitizer on you hands and put gloves on even kids that go in buffet area. stand is manned by worker and you can not get to buffet without passing one of stands way it is set up. yes I have been since reopening

Still, give it a few years and if everything goes well things may get back to a normalcy that it is currently hard to envision. Here is hoping.
Yes I have hope that eventually it'll all seem like a bad dream, and life will return to normal. It may not be soon, but one day for sure.

We have visited breakfast buffets in Disney but only to meet the characters, (the only exception was one visit to the Wave breakfast buffet). Now we don't have a child in our party who wants to meet characters anymore, our breakfast buffet days were over, and I won't be sorry. Some of the offereings were barely lukewarm meaning we wasted food, which doesn't sit well with me. I dread to think how much food goes in the bin behind the scenes.

I agree. I too find it funny that some people are petrified of touching what others have touched. Is this the adult version of cooties??? The human body has an immune system for a reason, there is a reason people get more sick nowadays, they try to protect themselves from everything so their own immune system has no ability to deal with even the smallest little things. Young kids that are the most protected before school are the ones that end up sick the most often once they end up going to school. But to each their own I guess, it's never bothered me before, it hasn't bothered me currently, and it won't bother me in the future either.

I missed the buffets on our trip we just returned from, we didn't get to eat at Boma or Tusker, two of our favorite places. GG has always been family style so that was the same and the modified menu at LTT had us eating the family style meal there and that was fine as well, the food was very good. But there is no way family style will every be able to replace the shear variety of offerings a buffet can accomplish. Buffets have always been popular cause they are a cost-effective way to offer a large variety of food with reduced serving staff needs, the whole serving process is sped up rather than having to take food orders and prepare them. I for one hope the buffets do return, no one is forced to eat at one if it is a concern. Luckily there are tons of places for everyone to pick from to fit their own preferences. Variety is the spice of life, right? Long live the buffets!!! LOL!!

I would love to see buffets come back as “cafeteria style” that way there are still have a lot of options, but guests aren’t touching everything. I think eventually maybe sometime in late 2021 or early 2022, once the vaccine is well distributed, buffets will come back, probably with more hand washing/hand sanitizer stations

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter