• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ft. Wilderness Cabin vs. HIFS?

vellamint

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide which place would be better for my family of six.

I know ALOT about each place due to my constant research and now I think I need information from other larger families as to how comfortable each actual accommodation would be.

Thank you so much!

I'm kinda new so I do not know what HIFS is.

We are a family of 7, children age 1-9, and we are going to be staying at Ft.W cabins next week. We have never stayed there before but DH has always wanted to and the kids love camping.

Years ago we stayed at many other resorts, but now due to family size the Home Away From Home resorts is the way to go.

I am looking forward to popping waffles in the toaster, the kids eating breakfast while I take a shower and then heading off to the parks. Late night snacking will be easier too - microwave popcorn!

So I guess I cannot really answer your question. I'll post all about our trip when we get back.

My vote is to stay on site. Never stayed at the FW Cabins but there should be enough room for your family. Staying there you are a short boat ride to MK. Can't have that kind of service from HIFS. You can also come back in the afternoon for a rest alot closer than HIFS.

It looks like there is alot to do there just at the campground.

We stayed off site once in 1995, and will never do it again. It is so much easier especially with kids.
10 more days and we'll be there.

The major drawbacks to the cabins - one bathroom with no outside sink, one tv, double beds (no queen), and internal FW busses to get to the park transportation (too far to walk). For some families, 2 all-stars rooms may work better (& cost less!)

But they are very nice, and the setup is decent. It's convenient to have a car if you plan to cook a lot or if you want to visit other resorts at night.

I can't compare to HIFS, sorry! :)

My vote is for the two connecting Allstar rooms. That's what we had last year with six of us. It worked out great. Two baths, four beds, - well just having the two baths saved us a lot of time, especially in the morning when you're trying to get to the bus stop in time for early entry to the parks. :D

Between HIFS and FW cabin, I would go with FW cabin hands down. First of all you will be on site, which is a BIGGIE. You will also have more room at the cabin and a full kitchen. FW also has very easy access to MK and the MK resorts for the dinner shows. FW is a fantastic place for a family with young children there are a ton of things there for kids: campfire w/movie and Chip & Dale, pony rides, carriage rides, petting zoo, playgrounds, volleyball courts, loads of bike paths, wildlife, etc.
Between FW cabin and the All Stars you would have the advantage of 2 tvs and 2 bathrooms and also an extra bed. Two doubles in each room at AS vs 1 double, 1 murphy bed (double size) and a set of bunkbeds at cabin, BUT you will be gaining the kitchen, seperate bedroom/lr, nice sized dining area, huge wooden deck w/barbeque grill and a higher grade resort. FW is easiest to navigate if you have your own car to go everywhere but MK, IMO.

Back in 1995 my sister and I and our 2 kids each, along with our 17 year old sister, stayed at FW Cabins. Big draw back, only 1 bathroom, but there is a vanity in the back bedroom.

FW is alot of fun, have never stayed at HIFS. I agree that a car is defintely a bonus here. We tried WDW trans there for the first few days, then went with our own vehicle due to the long walk to the bus stop from our cabin. Request near bus stop and trading post.

Even though I have never stayed at HIFS, I would recommend FW out of the two. If you have teens and adults mostly, though, I think 2 bathrooms might be pretty important. We had kids aged 1, 6, 7, & 12. We have stayed at AsMovies and would probably go with that for older families. FW cabins worked great for us, though. We are renting points for a OKW Villa this year. Plenty of bathrooms AND a kitchen!!

I can't do the 2 connecting All Stars because I have a reservation with the BAQ code and since it is no longer offered I cannot ADD a second room reservation to it.

Our kids are 12, 10, 9 and 9. Just wondering which accommodations will be more comfortable!

Thanks?

I'm sorry, I can't answer your question for you. I have never stayed at either of your choices. I did want to add though that I see HIFS talked about (raved about actually) on the Orlando Hotels & Attractions board all the time. Perhaps asking your question there might yeild more the response that you're looking for? You might not get much feedback about the FW cabins on that board, but you could cross reference the two threads which might help in making a decision. Best Wishes!

I've not stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness, but have visited (Hoop de Doo, lunch/dinner at Trails End, petting farm, horseback riding), but I have stayed at HIFS. I can't address which accomodation would be most comfortable based on your family's size.

However, I think there is more for you children to do at HIFS than at Fort Wilderness (in my opinion). For example, the petting zoo does not take that much time. Some of the other Ft. Wilderness activities, horseback riding, carriage rides, have additional fees. Based on the ages of your children, the pony rides are not an option. In addition to the themed pool (however, no water slide), HIFS has an arcade room, free evening activities (face painting, karaoke, etc), and now offers salon/spa services for girls.

If going back to the hotel in the afternoon to rest is a consideration for your family, you will be able to do this easily staying at HIFS. It takes no more than 10 minutes (maybe a little less) from HIFS to the Magic Kingdom. If your destination is MGM/Studios or EPCOT, HIFS is much closer.

If you opt for the cabin at Ft. Wilderness, you will find it easier to get about if you have car.

Take a look at the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board for more info about HIFS and the Camping at WDW board for more info about the cabins.

Regardless of the accomodation you choose, have a wonderful vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter