Frustrated! Booking Grand Californian @ 7 months

Figment&Piglet

“A dream can be a dream come true”
I knew it would be tough, but this is ridiculous. Went online a few minutes before 8 a.m. eastern this morning to book 7 nights in a studio at DGC at the 7 month mark. Put in my info and hit search right at 8. All 7 nights were available! Scanned the page a second to make sure I was choosing the right room category, went to hit the "Start booking..." button, and the first 2 nights were GONE? Do they really go that quickly in a matter of 10 seconds? Went on the waitlist, but do I even have a prayer? Sorry for the rant, but this seems ridiculous...

GCV is a very small resort. I did not want to chance it so I had points transferred from a GCV owner just in case. I hope it works out for you!

I knew it would be tough, but this is ridiculous. Went online a few minutes before 8 a.m. eastern this morning to book 7 nights in a studio at DGC at the 7 month mark. Put in my info and hit search right at 8. All 7 nights were available! Scanned the page a second to make sure I was choosing the right room category, went to hit the "Start booking..." button, and the first 2 nights were GONE? Do they really go that quickly in a matter of 10 seconds? Went on the waitlist, but do I even have a prayer? Sorry for the rant, but this seems ridiculous...

Yes, they do go that quickly. When, as often occurs with VGC, there is only a small number of studios available at 7 months out, getting the reservation depends on whose computer communicates fastest with Disney's right at 8 a.m. VGC studios are not alone in this phenomenon, e.g., it happens about 80% of the year at 11 months out for AKV club level studios; if you want frustration be an owner there who bought to be able to get AKV club level. Wait lists sometimes come through.

Keep checking every day. Someone might be walking. I lucked out with 3 nights next July at GCV on way to Aulani. I stalked the website for a month before and sometimes days popped back up. But if you see it snag it and maybe just put the one name reservation just to get through it. Add other guest after reservation confirmed.
Good luck
Kerri

It might even have been that there was ONE studio available.

Exactly. There are only 23 studios at VGC to begin with. If only 1 or 2 remained unbooked at 7 months, it only takes 3-4 members looking to book for some to be declined.

Yes, they do go that quickly. However, I booked July 4th at 11 months (we have a small contract) and had to waitlist for another day at 7 months. I waitlisted the day before and the day after. Both waitlists came through on the same day. I decided to keep all three days. So make sure to waitlist, you do have a shot.

Sigh - this is one of those DVC properties that are nearly impossible to get, at 7 months :(. We own at VWL. We've CONSIDERED going to DL, at some point.

Having the points? We would likely just go with CASH. Or a rental from someone HOMED at the GF, so we could get the 11 month booking window.

GCV is a very small resort. I did not want to chance it so I had points transferred from a GCV owner just in case. I hope it works out for you!
This is the way I would do it for a GCV.

Yes, they do go that quickly. When, as often occurs with VGC, there is only a small number of studios available at 7 months out, getting the reservation depends on whose computer communicates fastest with Disney's right at 8 a.m. VGC studios are not alone in this phenomenon, e.g., it happens about 80% of the year at 11 months out for AKV club level studios; if you want frustration be an owner there who bought to be able to get AKV club level. Wait lists sometimes come through.
this has been my hesitation for getting GFV... I noticed yesterday that Dec. 14 was gone right away after 8am. at 11 months. If I bought there. I would be frustrated to not be able to get a room at my home resort the hours they became available.

No way to know how many rooms are still available, I have had this happen online and through MS. Fact is the smaller the resort or number of category of room, the less of a chance of getting what you want. Owning there and booking at 11 months is the only way to really improve your chances.

:earsboy: Bill

OP, have you had any luck today? I've checked and, as of right now, there is at least one studio available for August 17 onward. I recommend same as PP that you just barrel on through and go back to add other guests later. Timing is so important at VGC. Good luck!

OP here. So a funny thing happened. For several days now we've tried to get 7 nights in a row in August right at the 7 month mark and right at 8:00 am. And every time, the first night or two would be gone, even though it was there the day before, so we couldn't book because the remainder of the nights would be outside our booking window. Anyway, yesterday my husband and I were determined. We sat at separate computers, logged in, with all our info in the booking tool ready to hit submit right at 8:00. My husband was fast and said "Got it!" So he hit book. I told him he had 20 minutes and started to tell him what to choose. Seconds later and all of a sudden, his screen flips to an error screen, without him touching anything(!) and it said the reservation wasn't available!! We could've died! All of a sudden I remember I'm still on the booking page. I hurry up and hit submit and get the reservation, hit book, quickly complete the page, hit book and we get it!!

Tell me there has to be an easier, less heart-attack-inducing way to book a vacation!!!:teeth:

OP here. So a funny thing happened. For several days now we've tried to get 7 nights in a row in August right at the 7 month mark and right at 8:00 am. And every time, the first night or two would be gone, even though it was there the day before, so we couldn't book because the remainder of the nights would be outside our booking window. Anyway, yesterday my husband and I were determined. We sat at separate computers, logged in, with all our info in the booking tool ready to hit submit right at 8:00. My husband was fast and said "Got it!" So he hit book. I told him he had 20 minutes and started to tell him what to choose. Seconds later and all of a sudden, his screen flips to an error screen, without him touching anything(!) and it said the reservation wasn't available!! We could've died! All of a sudden I remember I'm still on the booking page. I hurry up and hit submit and get the reservation, hit book, quickly complete the page, hit book and we get it!!

Tell me there has to be an easier, less heart-attack-inducing way to book a vacation!!!:teeth:

For some resorts the answer is to buy there and book at 11 months. We did that for AKV club level and VGF.

:earsboy: Bill

I've actually meant to post the question if others are having the pages time out and go to an error within a minute or two of sitting. I've been having that happen for well over a month. You have to keep moving along or it errors out.

I am glad you got it! It seems almost unbelievable that you did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter