Free or cheap things to do in Key West

Lunchlady

Mouseketeer
We are going to Key West for our 20th anniversary in April and would like to know some of your favorite things to do in Key West without breaking the bank. We went for a day trip during our last Disney trip but quickly found out we want to see so much more! Thanks!

Well I would NOt suggest the (bus ) ghost tour that's for sure. We enjoyed the Island tour... great info with on/off privileges, Hemingway house ( did alone if either of u has allergies, avoid ..cat hair n dusty!! I'd skip butterfly museum. We enjoyed beach at (at/near) southernmost hotel grounds greatly.
It gets lively in the evening and simply walking, grabbing a libation... or two lol and watching sunset, the "acts" in Mallory was fun.
And on the way down there...( forgot key, simple Google will help.. literally on the way down there via car) did you know you can visit ( and take a ride if u want) on the
Original African Queen!
Yup, restored and my dh loved it!! Cool to see even if u don't take a ride, $$

Enjoy and Happy Anniversary in advance!

We love Key West!

There are some great food specials during happy hour. Our favorites are The Boathouse and Alonzo's Oyster Bar. I believe both are attached to fairly nice restaurants and the 1/2 price appetizers on the happy hour specials are very yum.

We rented bikes for a day and rode out to Fort Zachary Taylor and the Florida Keys Eco-Discovery Center. There is also a small, pretty beach there's although it is a tad rocky.

Sunset at Mallory Square is fun and free except for tips for the buskers.

We had a car so packed a picnic lunch and drove to Bahia Honda State Park. This park has a natural beach and we had it almost to ourselves the day we visited :-)

The Island is not that big, but when dh and I were there we had a car and just drove around enjoying different things. I loved walking around town and looking for different types of shops. I will say I had a few different issues that were quite funny. I got bit by a bird, which did not bother me. Then I went into another shop and I wont say what happened but not nice to say in a family place. But I can't wait to go back and visit it some more. So if you like shopping they have nice stores and plenty to eat.

We've been to Key West a few times over the years. On our last trip we stopped at the Chamber of Commerce and picked up a guide to the Pelican Path. It is a self guided walking tour of old Key West. We loved learning about the history and seeing some of the older building. It also got us away from the crowds.

I used Groupon on my last visit to get a nice discount on the conch train tour. I had another tour plan that cancelled because of iffy weather, so I used Groupon on my phone and got a last minute deal.

We are going to Key West for our 20th anniversary in April and would like to know some of your favorite things to do in Key West without breaking the bank. We went for a day trip during our last Disney trip but quickly found out we want to see so much more! Thanks![/QUOTE
The southernmost point, Sunset at Mallory Square, Bahia Honda, See/feed the Tarpons at Robbies (outside Key West) are a few free or low cost options.

We enjoyed going to the fort in the morning. Lots of iguanas.
Then just walking around is free.

Lots to see and do.

It's not free and it's not cheap at all but we really loved the Ernest Hemingway house. You can go on a tour that's included in the price or just walk around at your own pace. It's a gorgeous house and we learned a lot. I had just read the Paris Wife so I especially enjoyed being there. My 8 year old daughter really loved it. And the cats with extra toes. If you're into literature or history at all, it's worth the price.

Check out the cemetery. You can get a map of the different graves and at the entrance.

Oooh! Didn't think of this! My daughters (the oldest especially) are what you might call "macabre..." I'll have to see if we can work this in... and when my husband accuses me of feeding their weirdness, I'll say "The Disney people recommended it!" ;P

Anybody got advice on the best spot/s to see the wild chickens? Our trip will be ruined without them.

The town really comes alive in the evening. Hands down, the best thing to do there is people watch. Get to Mallory Square before sunset to enjoy the buskers. They are spread out in front of the hotel next to it as well. There is free entertainment everywhere. Many bars have great bands and since they are open air, the volume is better from the outside of most venues. Grab a seat on a bench and enjoy.

We walk the entire waterfront at night, grab a chocolate covered key lime pie slice from Kermits, listen in as the ghost tours pass by, and just soak up the atmosphere. There is a lot of activity on Duvall street as well.

Plan on staying out late to really experience the magic of Key West.

We were there last Memorial Day. While not free we rented kayaks and explored the mangroves on our own. We also paddled up and down a canal full of manatees very cool. It was only $25 a kayak for 4 hours, we thought that was a great price.

we also did 2 boat tours through Sebago. If you bought 2 they gave a $20 discount for each person. Again, not free or overly cheap but we thought it was a good value and had a great time!

For drinks, Happy hour, happy hour, happy hour! Many bars had it sometime between 4 and 7.

Oooh! Didn't think of this! My daughters (the oldest especially) are what you might call "macabre..." I'll have to see if we can work this in... and when my husband accuses me of feeding their weirdness, I'll say "The Disney people recommended it!" ;P

Anybody got advice on the best spot/s to see the wild chickens? Our trip will be ruined without them.

You'll run into chickens everywhere! We ate dinner at a restaurant right off of Mallory Square and had chickens running under our table, while walking around close to the water they were wandering the streets, while sipping coffee from Cuban Coffee queen they were staring me right in the face lol. About the only place I didn't see them was on the busy parts of Duval St.

The town really comes alive in the evening. Hands down, the best thing to do there is people watch. Get to Mallory Square before sunset to enjoy the buskers. They are spread out in front of the hotel next to it as well. There is free entertainment everywhere. Many bars have great bands and since they are open air, the volume is better from the outside of most venues. Grab a seat on a bench and enjoy.

We walk the entire waterfront at night, grab a chocolate covered key lime pie slice from Kermits, listen in as the ghost tours pass by, and just soak up the atmosphere. There is a lot of activity on Duvall street as well.

Plan on staying out late to really experience the magic of Key West.

Love the entertainment in Mallory Square. My favorite was a dog trained to accept tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter