Free Dining doubtful - travel agent says WDW bookings up by 50% for August this year

I keep hearing about 40% off...can anyone confirm this. I called Disney and they said they're still focusing on June deals. Claimed they're not close to offering August deals yet!

The 40% off was a code (post card, I think) that only selected people got. It isn't available to everyone.

And I can see that NOT getting some of these promos can be frustrating. But think of the poor folks who make ressies without ANY knowledge of Disney, or the DIS, or anything! Those poor souls paying top dollar at WDW allow us all the deals, ya know what I mean? I feel bad for them in a way! LOL!

I remember the first time my sister took her daughter to Disney - she was shocked that she could walk from MK to AK. What!?!?!?!

I think the news that there are going to be Pirate and princess parties in August means free dining is even more doubtful.:confused3
They are going to be closing the MK early like 7pm a few nights a week possibly...i can't see them doing this is they were expecting the crowds free dining would bring. If they offered it this yr it would be the third yr runing to the general public:scared1: ...this would mean the largest ever crowds as more people are now aware of free dining than ever before.
In my opinion...the 40% deal and free dining to the two targeted groups UK and bounceback are as good as its going to get.
Remember last yr...Disney even had to make TS credits be able to purchase CS meals as the TS restaurnts couldn't handle the large numbers of free diners.
It doesn't make sense that they would let this happen again in an even bigger way (with now UK free diners too) and then close the MK restaurants early several times a week.

I think that discounts should be offered to those who plan to vacation. What sense does it make to offer discounts to those who don't plan to go?

Those who don't plan to go (at least at that time) are exactly the ones Disney is targeting. They've already got those of us who have done free dining before and are sitting here anxiously waiting an announcement. By targeting UK guests and those who normally vacation in November/December, they're hoping to expand the number of people vacationing in August/September--typically, one of their slower times. It's worked before--early December used to be the slowest time. By offering great discounts to various groups and adding extra events like the MVMCP, it's no longer as slow as it once was. And look how many people did the free dining last year, and are already planning on going back the same time this year--with or without free dining.

I think the news that there are going to be Pirate and princess parties in August means free dining is even more doubtful.:confused3

Maybe not -- they've done MNSSHP during free DDP in the past. It could actually be a good sign that they are trying to come up with something that might generate more income during the free DDP promo. Also, we have to keep reminding ourselves that although the DISboards might mean the world to us, it's really a very small percentage of the people that go to WDW.

Only time will tell!

I do understand the target market concept, but it really would be nice of Disney rewarded their loyal, repeat customers. We travel from PA 2-5 times a year, if at anytime we are in Florida, we will hit disney, even if it is an overnight onsite and dining. The only discounts I have ever received were those codes offered to the general public. We have gone at prime time, during off season, etc. I would love for disney to recognize my loyalty and the fact I "talk up Disney" to everyone, I believe I have converted my entire office into Disney customers. We will return this August, but if the free dining isn't offered or I have a "good deal", we might consider renting a house and inviting friends to join us ( we are using our season passes to Universal before their expiration, and just reurned from disney over Pres. day)

Maybe not -- they've done MNSSHP during free DDP in the past. It could actually be a good sign that they are trying to come up with something that might generate more income during the free DDP promo. Also, we have to keep reminding ourselves that although the DISboards might mean the world to us, it's really a very small percentage of the people that go to WDW.

Only time will tell!

I never thought about it like that but you are right. I am going mid Sept. I will pay for dinning if I have to BUT if I had free dining I would have the money to go to MNSSHP and probably spend more than dining would have cost me.

Agreed. Word of mouth being the best advertising, I've converted a few myself! We don't ask for commission but perks help make the decision as to whether or not to stay on site. The bottom line is there has to be a good reason for my family to pay extra to stay on site when some really nice hotels are offering perks and they have transportation. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED staying on site last time but we're on a budget.

I never thought about it like that but you are right. I am going mid Sept. I will pay for dinning if I have to BUT if I had free dining I would have the money to go to MNSSHP and probably spend more than dining would have cost me.

You're right. If free dining is offered, more people may invest in hard-ticketed events, better souveniers, an afternoon for dd at BBB, hoppers instead of base tickets, etc. Food budgets would most likely be filtered into other activities at WDW.

You're right. If free dining is offered, more people may invest in hard-ticketed events, better souveniers, an afternoon for dd at BBB, hoppers instead of base tickets, etc. Food budgets would most likely be filtered into other activities at WDW.

True. With all the money we knew we were 'saving' we did Cirque De Soleil, boating, tours and parasailing.
Even with spending that money on activities, we still saved though.

Activities:$900
Food we ate: $1715.00

So we 'saved' $815.00 still!:cool1:

Yes the CM I talked to in grand gathering was pretty certain also! Guess we'll know something in a couple of weeks!

I know we have a list of some stuff that we will do IF we get the FREE dining...but if we don't get dining free...we'll have to pass on those - and that stuff would be putting $$ into disney's pockets too...we've been considering Cirque, carriage ride, V&A, Illuminations Cruise - free dining would make those possible - so here's to hoping!!

I know we have a list of some stuff that we will do IF we get the FREE dining...but if we don't get dining free...we'll have to pass on those - and that stuff would be putting $$ into disney's pockets too...we've been considering Cirque, carriage ride, V&A, Illuminations Cruise - free dining would make those possible - so here's to hoping!!

To hoping! :goodvibes

I spoke to an agent this morning too, she was very positive (thanks Journey for all your help). She encouraged me!

Does anyone know if imagineer dinners are included in DDP and has anyone participated? My DS (12) wants to be an imagineer and he would love to have dinner with one.

I don't think we're close-enough to April 1 yet for travel agents to have any indication of free dining. If it is anything like last year, the travel agents will first get some indications around March 26.

Just spoke to a travel agent that said she believes free dining will be announced early April.
Yeehaw

You guys are sending me on a roller coaster ride here.
good news:banana: ... bad news:scared: .. good news:banana:

I want my thrills on vacation not now!
If there's no free dining we will be waiting & saving until next year. :hourglass

(I have my calendar and ADr's worked out just in case, though! Have to be prepared to make those arrangements quick! :laughing:)

Well, if Disney slogan this year is "YEAR OF A MILLION DREAMS!" Then my one in a million dreams is for free dining.:wizard:

I'm still hoping and praying for free dining!!!! It sure will be the deciding factor as to where we go on vacation this year.

If they have it we are definitely going back. :wizard:

Watching, waiting, watching, waiting....it's so hard!! :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter